Old 04-03-2005, 04:00 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Harpin--Plant Protein

In Fine Gardening magazine this month is an article about a spray made from
a plant protein, harpin, that causes plants to grow stronger and bloom
earlier. It is available under the trade name of Messenger.

www.messsenger.info

It appears to spook the plant into rev up its immune system and create a
stronger plant.

Anyone have any experience with harpin? What about using it on orchids?

Thought it might be interesting for this group.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 04-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:25:26 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicl...00/harpin.html

K Barrett

That makes it sound like it might be an interesting experiment
with some of the seedlings that often damp off. I like the
insect resistance. And since it was effective in tomato's and
tobacco should it not be effective in Cym? Aren't they
particularly selectable to tobacco mosaic virus?
SuE
Old 05-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Dave S

We have used this product in the vineyard at the winery where I work.
It seems to really boost the vigor in newly planted vines. I have seen
good results with tomatoes as well.

I have been meaning to set up a trial on some orchid seedlings, but
never got around to it. I'm not sure if it would help with plants that
damp off, but you might see improved vigor and earlier blooming.

Dave

Old 05-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Edmond Cormier

Anybody knows if Harpin by Messenger is sold to the general public? If so,
who sells it?
Ed Cormier

Old 05-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Ray

If you go to the www.messenger.info website, it appears it's sold at a
number of different retail locations. Unfortunately, it's in 1/2 oz packets
for 1-gallon mixtures, rather than in larger volumes for mass applications.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:58 AM
Gene Schurg

Ray,

If you look online they have a 100 gal (8 oz unmixed) package for $100.
They also offer some smaller sizes.

I'd sure feel better about putting out $100 for the large size if I knew
someone who had success with this on orchids.

Gene

Old 07-03-2005, 04:01 AM
Gene Schurg

Each bag of Messenger® for Home and Garden contains 8 ounces of material,
sufficient to make up to 100 gallons of finished spray solution, enough to
treat approximately 1 to 2 acres of landscape. This package is only
appropriate for large scale applications, and must be used within three
weeks after opening.
Messenger is effective at low use rates and degrades rapidly in the
environment, leaving no detectable residue on plants or in the soil. Once a
plant is treated, activation is generally initiated within 5 to 10 minutes
and full response occurs within 3 to 5 days. Resulting effects typically
continue for 2 to 3 weeks, depending on the type of plant.

Interesting that the product only has a shelflife of 3 weeks after opening!

Old 07-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Ray

Well, it IS a protein, and being organic it's not too surprising. Rooting
hormones similarly degrade, especially when warm or in sunlight, as does
azadirachtin in neem oil.

ink.net...