Old 23-04-2005, 11:05 AM
V_coerulea

Default Phals&Catts

I recently had a well-known orchid company in Hawaii screwup my order royaly
leaving me with 50 Phals and several Catts I didn't order instead of ones I
want. Anyway, I thought I'd offer them to friends here first. The Phals are
hybrid crosses, mostly reds and yellows (I think) plus some others. The
Catts are mericlones. If you're interested, please contact me offline and
I'll send you a list of what I have. There is only 1-6 of each item.
Gary

Old 23-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Kenni Judd

It happens. A very reputable Thai nursery once accidentally doubled my
order [for several hundred plants] ... Given the shipping costs [and
stress], returning the excess is not a good option. I managed to wholesale
most of them out to other growers [to the great relief of the Thai nursery
since, notwithstanding their bill, I wasn't about to pay for them all].
Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Wow! Some screw up!

K barrett

Old 24-04-2005, 04:51 AM
Steve

That was fast.
I was going to write and ask about some Phals. I've been thinking about
asking around to find a source for 6 or 8 or more really cheap Phal
seedlings. I want to do an experiment. I've been fighting (and giving up
on) that Phal disease I've been complaining about for 2 years or so.
http://www.geocities.com/tlswilso/Ph...s_2-15-04.html
I was thinking of acquiring some cheap (but healthy) Phals to test how
that disease spreads. I'm thinking I would purposely infect half of the
seedling by rubbing cut surfaces together. I'm wondering if it spreads
like a virus does. I would have to think about it, but maybe avoid
touching the actual spots to the new plants but only the sap from a leaf
not yet showing the symptoms. If it's a virus it should spread any way.
If it's a fungus, maybe not.
If anyone knows a source of very cheap Phals let me know. I wish I knew
someone who made a cross that didn't work out well and they want to dump
the plants. (I hate the idea of killing something decent)

Steve

Old 24-04-2005, 10:30 AM
dusty

Hi Steve
I too have experienced a similar problem with my phals. Like you say
someone mentioned a micro fungus. Your pictures look just like what was
going one with my phals. Also I could not find a the fugicide mentioned so
I tried what I had Spectracide immuox. I used the standard spray mix to
drench my phals and the meda, I already lost a bunch of favorites to this
thing so what the hell. With in a week I had swarms of fungus nats
apparently starving. This was weird because most of my plants where in new
meda or fairly new media and I've only seen one or two when I watered
before. Could be that they are a possible carriers of this thing.
I drenched my plants every two weeks (the product states it protects that
long) After three months my plants stopped showing symptoms and started
showing improvements. Oh yea fungus nats totally disappeared. I stopped
treating after 5 months. It's now been 7 months since I started the
treatment and I haven't seen a recurrence as of yet.
I don't know if this is a cure for what you have or even what I have. Since
I'm starting to see fungus nats again I'm thinking of drenching the phals
with immunox again.
dusty

Old 24-04-2005, 03:52 PM
wendy7

Hi there Dusty, I googled Spectracide immunox & there seem to be a couple of types,
"Multi purpose" & "Insect Plus".
What does your label show?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply
Old 24-04-2005, 05:23 PM
dusty

It's the Spectracide immuox "Multi purpose" containing only the fugicide.
I also forgot to mention that after applying I make sure none of it stands
in the crowns. no need to add crown rot to an already difficult problem.

Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty
Old 25-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Bob Walsh

I recently took a Phal with similar pitting of mine to Jerry Fisher at
Orchids Limited. He looked at it under a low power microscope and said it
has spider mites and to treat it with insecticidal soap. The leaves are no
longer getting worse and the new leaves are fine. The old leaves will not
get better though.

Do not get it on any buds. It blasted mine. I do not recall the brand of
soap I used. I did not get it from Jerry as I already had it.

Bob

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Why don't you ask Ed Wright?

Old 26-04-2005, 03:47 AM
Steve

I did, quite some time ago. I don't believe he had much advice. I really
don't recall what he said. Could I still have his reply? Hold on...
Yes I sure do. Only one reply (8/31/03):
"Steve -
I have asked a colleague to help me with an answer for you. I'll report back
as soon as I can................................."

Well, I guess that is my fault for not reminding him.

Steve

K Barrett wrote:
Why don't you ask Ed Wright?

V_coerulea wrote:

Well all the Phals are gone. Thanks so much to those who helped me out.
Gary

. net...

Old 26-04-2005, 04:12 AM
Steve

Thanks Bob.
You'll notice my web site discusses mites. I had to go read it to
remember what I wrote. What it didn't say was that I did use a microscope.
My first suspected cause was mites. I used the oil spray. A year later I
had received much advice and other ideas of what the disease was (mostly
fungus). The advice prompted me to create the worlds finest amateur
collection of fungicides (well, 5 or 6 anyway). When all that turned out
to cure nothing, I gave mites a 2nd thought. I spent considerable time
one afternoon looking at several different affected leaves. I found no
living creatures of any kind.

Steve

Bob Walsh wrote:

I recently took a Phal with similar pitting of mine to Jerry Fisher at
Orchids Limited. He looked at it under a low power microscope and said it
has spider mites and to treat it with insecticidal soap. The leaves are no
longer getting worse and the new leaves are fine. The old leaves will not
get better though.

Do not get it on any buds. It blasted mine. I do not recall the brand of
soap I used. I did not get it from Jerry as I already had it.

Bob

"K Barrett" wrote in message

Why don't you ask Ed Wright?

V_coerulea wrote:

Well all the Phals are gone. Thanks so much to those who helped me out.
Gary

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.net...

I recently had a well-known orchid company in Hawaii screwup my order
royaly leaving me with 50 Phals and several Catts I didn't order
instead

of

ones I want. Anyway, I thought I'd offer them to friends here first.
The
Phals are hybrid crosses, mostly reds and yellows (I think) plus some
others. The Catts are mericlones. If you're interested, please contact

me

offline and I'll send you a list of what I have. There is only 1-6 of

each

item.
Gary

repotting paphs (and Catts) J Fortuna Orchids 2 09-07-2005 07:12 PM
Training Catts and Dens Reka Orchids 2 29-11-2004 10:23 PM
Training Catts and Dens Reka Orchids 2 29-11-2004 10:23 PM
mini catts Dada Orchids 12 06-11-2004 04:00 PM
mini catts Dada Orchids 0 05-11-2004 02:37 PM