Old 06-07-2005, 05:55 PM
keith ;-\)

Default Info for Cattleya Daffodil ?

Anyone heard of Cattleya Daffodil? Google search came up with BLC Daffodil
& BC Daffodil. One site has a division for $195 & parent plant for $1000 do
these cost that much.Is it a rare hybrid?Or am I missing something?

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Rob

keith ;-) wrote:
Anyone heard of Cattleya Daffodil? Google search came up with BLC Daffodil
& BC Daffodil. One site has a division for $195 & parent plant for $1000 do
these cost that much.Is it a rare hybrid?Or am I missing something?

I'd certainly make sure that whoever is selling it knows whether it is
a Blc or a Bc... If they have it listed as Cattleya, and there is no
registration for it, I don't know that I would give them any money, much
less that much.

Don't know the plant myself.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 06-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Niek Hanckmann

keith ;-) schreef:
Anyone heard of Cattleya Daffodil? Google search came up with BLC Daffodil
& BC Daffodil. One site has a division for $195 & parent plant for $1000 do
these cost that much.Is it a rare hybrid?Or am I missing something?

In the RHS-database I found BC Daffodil (a primary hybrid of Brassavola
glauca and Cattleya aurantiaca registered in 1949), BLC Daffodil (a more
complex hybrid from 1940)and LC Daffodil (a cross with Laelia jongheana
as one of the parents dated 1907). Couldn't find a C. Daffodil though.

I also googled the three hybrids and I only found pictures of the first
one. Looks like it's made of gold, but I doubt if it is worth the prices
of gold ;-)

So if you don't know what you're looking for, or they don't know what
they're offering: DON'T BUY!

Grtz. Niek
Old 06-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Bill Landers

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
Anyone heard of Cattleya Daffodil? Google search came up with BLC
Daffodil
& BC Daffodil. One site has a division for $195 & parent plant for $1000
do
these cost that much.Is it a rare hybrid?Or am I missing something?

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Hi Keith-
I wonder if what you are referring to is Narcissus 'Thalia'?
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...us/thalia.html
As you can see by the photo, the blossom has more than a passing resemblance
to a cattleya bloom, and some bulb merchants also label this cultivar as the
"Orchid Narcissus". I have grown this narcissus in my garden for many
years, and it is an easy, reliable bloomer. Prices on the west side of the
pond are around $36 per 100 bulbs.
Bill Landers
Onondaga Co., NY