Old 20-11-2005, 06:09 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
tor

Default a very low light house plant?

Hi ya'll,

I live in dreary Olympia Washington - I love it here truely - but boy
is it dark. Does anyone have any advise on plants that can actually
exists on interior lighting?

For example: I would love a plant near my windowless kitchen sink, it
would receive light from a 40 watt incandecent bulb at 15 inches, as
that is the light. I tried putting in a low powered grow light, but it
was quite unpleasant to work under.

Is there a resource for low light house plants that can handle a dry
apartment? (I water, but it is not humid)

Looking to be schooled....

Tor Clausen

Old 20-11-2005, 09:07 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Cereus-validus-...........

I have pothos in the dark corner of the living room.
They are made of plastic.
Check it out.

ups.com...

Old 21-11-2005, 11:59 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Kye

In the Orchidaceae family, you might consider such plants as Macodes and
Ludisia. They are both genera vernacularly known as "Jewel Orchids" and
typically grow on the floor layer of the Rainforest, hence at best they
recieve dappled low light. Many will grow under poor light conditions
assuming that you have adequate humidity.

Reply off list if you would like further information or suppliers in your
local area.

Kye.

Old 23-11-2005, 07:11 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
tor

Kye,

Hmmm, that humidity is a problem, as this is one dry apartment, and I
am not a diligent squirter/mister. I also keep the apartment somewhat
cool (62-68) and that seems to be a bit cool for all but moth orchids.

Old 25-11-2005, 12:19 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Kye

Humidity can be appropriatly adjusted by addition of a water tray or one of
those funky mist bowls (that also look really good) The temperature is not
that big a problem ( I assume that the measurement that you have provided is
in farenheit, not celsius) as many of the orchids can handle that sort of
range.

Kye.

oups.com...

Old 27-11-2005, 06:30 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
tor

Will one of those mist bowls raise the entire apartments humidity, or
just locally? I have a meter, (or I can get one here soon) How much can
I expect to raise the apartment by running one of those? What humidity
do those orchids enjoy?

In my reading on Orchids, many seem to enjoy 70 or above. The apartment
is around 65 f most of the year, but right next to the windows tends to
be a bit lower than that.

Tor

PS Thanks for this discussion. I find great pleasure in the few plants
I have that do thrive, you are helping me find them some companions.

Old 27-11-2005, 10:57 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Kye

Will one of those mist bowls raise the entire apartments humidity, or
just locally? I have a meter, (or I can get one here soon) How much can
I expect to raise the apartment by running one of those? What humidity
do those orchids enjoy?

I would expecta rise in the local humidity of the bowl, though if you wanted
to raise the humidity of the entire unit, I imagine that a humidifying unit
could be easily utilised for the purpose.

In my reading on Orchids, many seem to enjoy 70 or above. The apartment
is around 65 f most of the year, but right next to the windows tends to
be a bit lower than that.

Where you have a variance of a few degrees many of your plants will tolerate
it. There are Orchids which are suited to extremely low temperatures, to the
point that I have seen Dendrobium kingianum, growing and flowering with snow
on the ground all around and over it. It just depends on what plant you are
specifically interested in. Bear in mind that most growers focus on plants
that are exotic or tropical in origin as they have showier flowers and are
easier to get commercially.

PS Thanks for this discussion. I find great pleasure in the few plants
I have that do thrive, you are helping me find them some companions.

I am pleased that you are findiong this discussion of use. Should you ever
wish to speak in a less public forum, please feel free o reply to my e-mail
address. Just make the subject line something that I will notice amidst the
spam.

Kye.

Old 23-12-2005, 02:16 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Peter Jason

A Wedding Palm (Lytocaryum Weddellianum) seems to like low light. I have a
large one outside in the shade which is all light-scorched.