Old 11-11-2003, 07:12 AM
Beth

Default Poisonous Houseplants?

Sorry to interefere with such a mundane post, but I recently acquired a kitten
and was wondering if either or both of my houseplants are a danger to her. I
have an Aglaomena modestum and Dracaena marginata. Thank you in advance,

Beth

Old 11-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Iris Cohen

I recently acquired a kitten and was wondering if either or both of my
houseplants are a danger to her. I have an Aglaomena modestum and Dracaena
marginata.

I don't believe so. Dieffenbachia is poisonous. However, you don't want her
messing in your plants anyway. Cats like some fresh greens in their diet, and
you are a good cat owner & will not allow her outdoors. The way to keep her out
of your houseplants is to give her her own grass pot. The pet stores sell grass
seed specifically for this purpose.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 11-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Monique Reed

Here are some sites that list houseplants dangerous to pets:
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html
http://dogs.about.com/library/poisons/aatoxicplanta.htm

Dracaena and Dieffenbachia are both on the list. That doesn't mean
you need to toss them out, though. You can buy bitter apple or citrus
sprays to put on the plants that will keep tabby far away. (Don't
forget to refresh it now and then. My cat is repelled even by orange
spray cleaner.)

M. Reed

Old 11-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Beth

Thank you both for your reply. I'm off to get repellent for my Dragon plant.
Beth

Old 12-11-2003, 12:42 AM
/\\/\\ichau

Szłem ł±k±, kwiaty pachły, wiater wiał, a *Iris Cohen* wystukł:

The way to keep her out
of your houseplants is to give her her own grass pot. The pet stores sell grass
seed specifically for this purpose.

Or alternatively, just cut some grass outdoors and give it to your cat.
My cat enjoy it! And my plants are safe now...
Regards,

--
/\/\ichau, msmoczykNOSPAM(at)wp.pl, http://www.nocnyrzepin.prv.pl/

Old 12-11-2003, 12:42 AM
/\\/\\ichau

Szłem ł±k±, kwiaty pachły, wiater wiał, a *Monique Reed* wystukł:

Here are some sites that list houseplants dangerous to pets:
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html
http://dogs.about.com/library/poisons/aatoxicplanta.htm
Dracaena and Dieffenbachia are both on the list. That doesn't mean
you need to toss them out, though.

Indeed, my cat eat sometimes Dracaena, Chlorophyllum, Nephrolepis spp.,
and Laurus nobilis which I have in my flat and nothing happened...
(gee, exactly in /this/ moment, when i type these words it is eating
Nephrolepis ;-)

You can buy bitter apple or citrus
sprays to put on the plants that will keep tabby far away.

There are also some special spray repellents for cats. It works good.

Regards, forgive me terrible english
--
/\/\ichau, msmoczykDELETEIT(at)wpNOSPAM.pl
ex nihilo nihil fit