Old 24-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default a very red clover plant

I keep seeing this clover looking plant. It looks like a clover only it
is solid red color of leaves and of stem. I had thought that "red
clover" was because of the red flowers and otherwise green plant as
compared to "white clover". But this plant has no green, only red leaves
and red stems. I see some in a patch of the lawn and hope it is tough
enough to survive and prosper. The red color is maybe a bit purplish
red. Anyone have a name for this plant?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 24-06-2004, 08:47 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Oxalis?

Archimedes Plutonium schreef

Old 24-06-2004, 05:03 PM
John W

I would suggest that your Clovers are probably lacking in some
nutrient, hence the red colour. This often happens to green plants.
Old 27-06-2004, 07:23 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

John W wrote:

I would suggest that your Clovers are probably lacking in some
nutrient, hence the red colour. This often happens to green plants.

Yes I inspected that patch yesterday and found some of the plants were
green closer to the ground. The patch is in an old wetland that was
drained and so maybe the soil lacks something for this clover to be
fully green.

I have the notion of taking a sample into the biology of University of
South Dakota to make sure whether I do not have a new species of clover.

Are people finding new species of clover these days??

Old 28-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Chuck wrote:

And, obviously, the nutrient doesn't translocate either.

CWR

This red clover reminds me of those purple leafed Norway maples or those
purple leafed plums or cherries. I do not know whether those purple leafed
trees are recessive-genes of a species or whether the purple leafed are
mutations within a species.

So the question is whether some particular cultivars are due to recessive
genes or due to mutations. Perhaps this red leafed and red stemed clover is
ordinary Dutch white clover with a mutation or perhaps recessive genes.

It has a small yellow flower, bell shaped forming. And I kind of doubt it is
a clover lacking nutrients because within 5 feet of a patch is normal Dutch
white clover. So I think this red leafed and red stemed clover a normal plant
and I am unable to identify its species.