Old 24-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default a very red clover plant

I keep seeing this clover looking plant. It looks like a clover only it
is solid red color of leaves and of stem. I had thought that "red
clover" was because of the red flowers and otherwise green plant as
compared to "white clover". But this plant has no green, only red leaves
and red stems. I see some in a patch of the lawn and hope it is tough
enough to survive and prosper. The red color is maybe a bit purplish
red. Anyone have a name for this plant?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 24-06-2004, 08:47 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Oxalis?

Archimedes Plutonium schreef

Old 24-06-2004, 05:03 PM
John W

I would suggest that your Clovers are probably lacking in some
nutrient, hence the red colour. This often happens to green plants.
Old 27-06-2004, 07:23 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

John W wrote:

I would suggest that your Clovers are probably lacking in some
nutrient, hence the red colour. This often happens to green plants.

Yes I inspected that patch yesterday and found some of the plants were
green closer to the ground. The patch is in an old wetland that was
drained and so maybe the soil lacks something for this clover to be
fully green.

I have the notion of taking a sample into the biology of University of
South Dakota to make sure whether I do not have a new species of clover.

Are people finding new species of clover these days??

Old 28-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Chuck wrote:

And, obviously, the nutrient doesn't translocate either.

CWR

This red clover reminds me of those purple leafed Norway maples or those
purple leafed plums or cherries. I do not know whether those purple leafed
trees are recessive-genes of a species or whether the purple leafed are
mutations within a species.

So the question is whether some particular cultivars are due to recessive
genes or due to mutations. Perhaps this red leafed and red stemed clover is
ordinary Dutch white clover with a mutation or perhaps recessive genes.

It has a small yellow flower, bell shaped forming. And I kind of doubt it is
a clover lacking nutrients because within 5 feet of a patch is normal Dutch
white clover. So I think this red leafed and red stemed clover a normal plant
and I am unable to identify its species.

Old 28-06-2004, 09:06 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Archimedes Plutonium schreef
It has a small yellow flower, bell shaped forming.

+ + +
Oxalis?

Old 28-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Cereus-validus

It has a small yellow flower, bell shaped forming.

Ah ha, it is indeed an Oxalis.

Oxalis corniculata 'Atropurpurea', a very common weed in cultivation, to be
exact.

Further proof that Archie is a botanical illiterate.

Old 28-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Iris Cohen

It has a small yellow flower, bell shaped forming.

What you are looking at is Oxalis. I don't remember the name of the species
around here. Oxalis is not clover, and is not related to it at all. See the
difference in the flowers? The kind of Oxalis you see in the grass is nothing
but an invasive weed.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 29-06-2004, 02:53 AM
Cereus-validus

You're not paying attention, Irish.

I already identified it as Oxalis corniculata 'Atropurpurea', a very common
weed in cultivation.

There is no doubt that Archie is a total botanical illiterate but you don't
get partial credit for getting it part right.

Old 29-06-2004, 03:59 AM
Christopher Green

Chuck wrote:

[...]

You got Oxalis in your lawn. It's a weed and will rapidly establish
itself beyond your ability to eradicate it short of broadleaf weed
killers. Or you could look on the bright side: it's edible, and if you
do nothing, you will have a plot of tart, tasty potherbs where your
lawn used to be.

This monster consistently makes it onto gardeners' lists of most
intractable weeds, up there with malefactors like bindweed and spotted
spurge.

--
Chris Green
Old 29-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

28 Jun 2004 19:59:48 -0700 Christopher Green wrote:

You got Oxalis in your lawn. It's a weed and will rapidly establish
itself beyond your ability to eradicate it short of broadleaf weed
killers. Or you could look on the bright side: it's edible, and if you
do nothing, you will have a plot of tart, tasty potherbs where your
lawn used to be.

This monster consistently makes it onto gardeners' lists of most
intractable weeds, up there with malefactors like bindweed and spotted
spurge.

--
Chris Green

Yes, thanks, it is oxalis. This time I made a search on "purple oxalis" and found a picture
similar to these plants. Mine are more reddish than purple. But I would have guessed it was a
clover.

Actually there is no weed that I am scared of, and I never spray weeds. I do mow them. That is
why I like weeds because everytime I mow, I consider it more of fertilizing the nearby trees and
plants than mowing. If I have a pesky spot in the grounds where the grasses and weeds grow too
fast, well then I take the ultimate measure by planting some tree nearby that shades the ground
and the tough weeds and grasses vanish in due time. I had a bind weed problem 4 years ago in my
front yard and now that the apricot trees are 10 feet high no more bind weed there.

For years I have been fighting brome grass patch that grows twice as fast as my other lawns.
Until about this year as the black-walnuts are getting in height and beginning to shade out the
brome grass patch.

But I do have a problem with this ground ivy in spots should I ever consider it a problem. For
now I like it because it needs little mowing until the sparse grass in amoungst the ivy gets too
high. The problem is that if I begin to dislike the ivy it is already shaded by trees so that
more trees would not solve it, but I sort of like the ivy with its sea-like blue flowers that my
lawn looks like a sea or ocean.

At the moment I do have problems with a patch of onions being overrun by bindweed. I have
decided to transplant the onions in a row of concreteblock holes so that I can control the
weeds.

By the way, strawberries do great in rows of concrete block and they send their runners out so
that I just conveniently walk up and down the rows plucking the runners and planting them into a
new block hole. And the strawberry in a block hole grows to the point where it crowds out all
other weeds and grasses so that each block hole has a pretty strawberry plant and they are easy
to water because the block retains the water.

Old 29-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Iris Cohen

You're not paying attention, Irish.

First of all, my name is Iris.
I generally do pay attention, & you know it. I'm not sure why, but I don't
receive all the messages in this group. I did not see yours. Also, not all of
my messages get through. I sent a message about that unidentified elm which
never came through. So please get down off your caballus altus.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default oxalis a very red clover plant

Today saw some green oxalis. A plant that I had for years thought was a species of clover. Anyway,
was wondering if it is nitrogen fixing as real clover or alfalfa or trefoil.