Old 05-09-2004, 01:30 AM
JPB

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:38:19 +0200, Cereus-validus wrote
(in article ):

The very fact that the plant smells like a carrot would be a blatant clue to
its identity even to a blind man.

Well.. if you live in central europe, you will find a lot of plants like this
(Umbelliferae, Apiaceae). I have - even with a book - sometimes big
difficulties to really identify them. And - a plant looking simular (though
not in size) is Heracleum spondylium and Heracleum mantegazzianum - and the
latter one is quite poisonous to the skin (Bergapten, Pimpinellin,
Xanthotoxin). Also simular a Aegopodium podagraria, Aethusa cynapium ssp.
cynapium, Angelica archangelica ssp. litoralis, Angelica sylvestris,
Athamantha cretensis, Carum carvi.
So yes, a wild carrot is common, but not always easy to identify - for
"normal" folks like me.

just my 2 euro-cents

Hogwasher: You don't have to sacrifice friendliness for power
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product....hogwasher.html

Old 05-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Cereus-validus

Thank your lucky stars for coming out of your coma long enough to post some
irrelevant trivia for a long dead thread.

Everyone else has moved on to other things long ago.

We weren't talking about unusual European Apiaceae, we were talking about
Daucus carota growing in New Jersey.

That's odd, you don't come across as "normal folk" at all.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Zeitkind

Cereus-validus wrote:
Thank your lucky stars for coming out of your coma long enough to post some
irrelevant trivia for a long dead thread.

I read this thread inadvertanly while moving to another newsserver.
Irrelevant is a weired word concerning plants, but I already learned
here that you tend to be.. erm.. funny. ^^

Everyone else has moved on to other things long ago.

This newsgroup isn't *that* big to get lost in threads. If you do, you
should get yourself a bigger CRT..

We weren't talking about unusual European Apiaceae, we were talking about
Daucus carota growing in New Jersey.

You were talking about Apiaceae. In europe are the others also very
common, you find them everywhere.

In my garden, I see a lot of plants coming from around the world, they
got here without my doing. last month I made jam from mahony, which is
now growing everywhere. I would not be surprised if the same is over
there in the New Colonies. Heracleum mantegazzianum became a plague in
central europe now, many other foreign plants too - in my garden it was
eg. vigina creeper and, which is a really beast from hell: Oxalis
corniculata
(http://nafoku.de/flora/oxalidaceae/p...-330x440-d.jpg). This
Oxalis spread over all gardens and areas here the last few years and
destroys lawns and it is almost impossible to get rid of. If you like to
get killed by my ma, just say the words "red oxalis".. Anyone knows
what to do against this beast? The worst plantaginetea I ever had.

That's odd, you don't come across as "normal folk" at all.

I don't feel any special, do I?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Cereus-validus

"weired" is a weird word!!!

Yada, Yada, Yada.

You sure are long winded for someone desperately trying to resurrect long
dead topics.

Try doing a Google search.

Don't worry you have proven yourself to be a special case, almost as special
as Archie!!!

BTW, they are called monitors now, not CRTs.
You have been in a coma!!!

Old 05-09-2004, 05:52 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

A word of advice:
just put "Cereus-validus " in your killfile
and your life will be brighter for it
PvR

Old 05-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Zeitkind

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

A word of advice:
just put "Cereus-validus " in your killfile
and your life will be brighter for it

I'm used to those strange entities from other groups.. But English isn't
my native language, so I won't try to try it..

But could you both please try to answer my other question?

Hint: Another "older" thread called "searching for a plant"..
Old 05-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Cereus-validus

Since you don't get Seinfeld out in the back woods of lower Leutonia where
you live in that mud hut of yours, the joke is completely lost on you,
Rinkytink.

It must be really rough on you being such a superior intellect living in
such third world conditions. You should look forward to a peasant uprising
some night complete with flaming torches and rowdy mob, Herr Dokterstein!!!

Old 05-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Cereus-validus

You better think twice before taking advice from Herr Dokter Rinkytink.
Human isn't his native race and he is not to be trusted with giving factual
info.

Old 06-09-2004, 03:38 AM
Iris Cohen

This Oxalis spread over all gardens and areas here the last few years and
destroys lawns and it is almost impossible to get rid of.

Interesting. If you mean that little one with yellow flowers (I always forget
the species name), it is a pest here too, but we have worse ones in the lawn.
Queen Anne's lace isn't really a noxious weed in gardens here. It is very
common on roadsides & other waste places.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 06-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Zeitkind

Iris Cohen wrote:

Interesting. If you mean that little one with yellow flowers

Noone I asked can remember seeing this oxalis here before (eg. my
grandma). It spread the last, let's say 10 years across all gardens and
places. If you don't fight it, your lawn will be ripped off to pieces.
But it also spreads in borders and other places, esp. along roads and
places typical for other plants here. The leafs are always quite red and
roots are up to 15cm. It is highly competitive against ivy (hedera
helix), plantains and dandelion (taraxacum officinalis). I saw the first
on in my garden several years ago. It was nice looking and had those
tiny little yellow blossoms....... well.. if I knew... *sigh*

Old 06-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Roger Whitehead

In article , Iris Cohen wrote:
Interesting. If you mean that little one with yellow flowers (I always forget
the species name)

Oxalis corniculata?

Roger

Old 06-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Iris Cohen

Noone I asked can remember seeing this oxalis here before (eg. my
grandma). It spread the last, let's say 10 years across all gardens and
places.

It is a US native. I am sooo sorry. If you could see all the terrible weeds
that we got from Europe, you would sympathize. ;-)

Old 06-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Zeitkind

Mike Lyle wrote:

The OP wasn't talking of the British menace, the Pink Oxalis: sorry.
_O. corniculata_, though, isn't a N.Am species according to my source,
but a mainland European one, introduced in Britain and Ireland.

The origin is unknown, Oxalis corniculata variant atropurpurea is spread
all over the world now. Some sources say that Africa is the real origin.
All I can say, that noone of my family saw it in our region before
several years - and now it omnipresent. It's not native in US either
(Whitson, T.D. (Ed.) et al. 1996. Weeds of the West.).