Old 22-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Gramma
writes

Would staminode also cover what you have described??
This was another word suggested by my botanical student friend

No, a staminode is a sterile stamen, sometimes petaloid in form. IIRC,
Alyogyne lacks them. About half the old Malvaceae (clade Eumalvoideae in
recent works) have teeth or truncate extensions at the top of the
staminal column beyond the last anther; there's two interpretations of
this - either they're staminodes, or they're an outgrowth of a stamen.
(The corona of the staminal column of the Ceiba speciosa group
(Bombacoideae) is known to be an outgrowth of the 15 stamens.)

I didn't observe any staminodes in the diagram you referenced.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-03-2005, 09:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
(The corona of the staminal column of the Ceiba speciosa group
(Bombacoideae) is known to be an outgrowth of the 15 stamens.)

***
As most of the literature uses the name /Chorisia speciosa/ it might be
better to consistently list this as a synonym. Not sure how many people
actually switched, anyway.
PvR

Old 23-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Gramma

"Monique Reed" wrote in message

Who is giving you this poor vocabulary advice?

I'm ashamed to say it is another much younger botanical artist [and an art
tutor] who artistically is way, way more proficient than I am .
I had assumed he would have a better understanding of botanical terms,
but what he was telling me didn't ring true with what I had seen described
on other illustrations when I was trying to research the correct terms.
Thank goodness I didn't take him at his word.

Yesterday the botanical illustrator from our local Botanical Gardens had a
look at my drawing for me and she has been extremely helpful so coupled
with what you have all said I am happier with what descriptions to use.

Thank you all for your in put -

I've never been flamed before so even grumpy bum gave me a giggle.
Gramma

Old 23-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Gramma

Must have been the hiccups