Old 21-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Gramma

Default me AGAIN!

Just dropping in to ask for a couple of definitions regarding botanical
terms.
If some kind soul would have a look at the following site
and taking the drawings as a,b,c,d, from the left and tell me what these
'parts' should be called I would be extremely grateful.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs21&d=05121&f=Botanica.jpg

I have checked 'The Language of Botany' by C. Debenham but it was too
technical for me as a layman to decide which way to go.

For instance I have been advised to call a : Inflorescence
I always thought this meant the flowering part of a plant.
Could this be used to describe the central column [stamen? stigma?] prior to
the stage where anthers were
swollen with pollen, if the petals were removed?

c. I have been advised to call this a Bud
- again I thought this was the pre flowering stage - relating to a young
flower. I have been advised to use this to describe what I would call
immature fruit ,[the stage before the seeds are fully formed and the
capsule is ready to open]

Thanks in advance

Gramma

Old 21-03-2005, 11:35 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Gramma schreef
Just dropping in to ask for a couple of definitions regarding botanical
terms. If some kind soul would have a look at the following site
and taking the drawings as a,b,c,d, from the left and tell me what these
'parts' should be called I would be extremely grateful.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs21&d=05121&f=Botanica.jpg

***
There are lots of parts here ...
* * *

For instance I have been advised to call a : Inflorescence

***
That would be wrong
* * *

I always thought this meant the flowering part of a plant.
Could this be used to describe the central column [stamen? stigma?] prior

to the stage where anthers were swollen with pollen, if the petals were
removed?

***
No, it couldn't
* * *

c. I have been advised to call this a Bud

***
It is hard to tell from the picture what exactly this is
* * *

- again I thought this was the pre flowering stage - relating to a young
flower. I have been advised to use this to describe what I would call
immature fruit ,[the stage before the seeds are fully formed and the
capsule is ready to open]

***
An immature fruit is not a bud.
PvR

Old 21-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Monique Reed

Your first two show the androecium and gynoecium (male and female
parts of the flower) in two stages of maturity. The second two show
the gynoecium in two further stages of maturity.

"Inflorescence" is a term for the flowering part of a plant and its
associated structures--pedicels (flower stalks), bracts, etc. It does
not apply to any of these drawings.

"Bud" is an immature shoot (whether vegetative or floral) or an
unopened flower. It does not apply to anyof these drawings.

Does that help a little?

M. Reed

--
˙WPC5
Old 21-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Monique Reed
writes
Your first two show the androecium and gynoecium (male and female
parts of the flower) in two stages of maturity. The second two show
the gynoecium in two further stages of maturity.

To elaborate, in this particular case the fused filaments of the anthers
are described as a staminal column. (I've also seen stamineal column,
but I think that that's archaic.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info
Old 21-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Gramma

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message

Thanks PvR
You confirmedwhat I thought - I was advised badly

Gramma
Gramma schreef

Old 21-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Now Gramma Grass can party hearty for the rest of his spring break knowing
there are always naive suckers on the internet willing to do his homework
for him!!!! The bottom line Grass man: don't even think of trying to smoke
it.

Monique is such a malvaceous marshmallow but she doesn't even recognize one
of he kin when she sees it!!!

Old 22-03-2005, 08:53 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-validus..... schreef
Monique ...doesn't even recognize one of he kin when she sees it!!!

***
ESP must be a wonderful thing!
Pity you don't have it but just make silly assumptions
PvR

Old 22-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Gramma

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
m...
Now Gramma Grass can party hearty for the rest of his spring break knowing
there are always naive suckers on the internet willing to do his homework
for him!!!! The bottom line Grass man: don't even think of trying to smoke
it.

What side of the bed did *you* get out of today?

Every newsgroup has one

Sounds as though a good dose of liver salts would do you good.

You are further from the truth than you know.

Don't bother replying I will not see it.

Gramma

Old 22-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Gramma

In article , Monique Reed
writes
Your first two show the androecium and gynoecium (male and female
parts of the flower) in two stages of maturity. The second two show
the gynoecium in two further stages of maturity.

To elaborate, in this particular case the fused filaments of the anthers
are described as a staminal column. (I've also seen stamineal column,
but I think that that's archaic.)
--

Thanks Stewart -

Would staminode also cover what you have described??
This was another word suggested by my botanical student friend

By the way - thanks to the links PvR posted
your site was particularly helpful in my project as I am
'doing' Alyogyne huegelii.

I hope to have the project finished by this Friday
Gramma

Old 22-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Every newsgroup has one and we have YOU!

You can't handle the truth.

Actually had chicken livers and rice! Does that count?

You won't seek through the cloud of smoke in your dorm room?

Old 22-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Cereus-validus.....

I am 'doing' Alyogyne huegelii'.

No DUH!!!

There was no need to be so sneaky about the subject with your original
posting.

BTW, Alyogyne huegelii is in the Malvaceae after all.

"Gramma" wrote in message

In article , Monique Reed
writes

Old 22-03-2005, 02:17 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-validus..... schreef
BTW, Alyogyne huegelii is in the Malvaceae after all.

***
You are slow, but catching on
OP is way ahead of you.
PvR

Old 22-03-2005, 02:19 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-validus..... schreef
Every newsgroup has one and we have YOU!

***
Oh my, somebody dares to ask a question!
The Mighty Wax Candle must of course stamp out such impudence
PvR

Old 22-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Monique Reed

Gramma wrote:

Would staminode also cover what you have described??
This was another word suggested by my botanical student friend

No. A staminode is a non-functional stamen, often reduced or modified
to be attractive to pollinators in some way (as in Penstemon.)

Who is giving you this poor vocabulary advice?

Monique Reed