Old 27-07-2003, 12:42 AM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

Default SALT QUESTION

IS NON-IODIZED SALT ( table salt) THE ONE THAT IS SAFE TO USE IN THE POND??

Thanks in advance,

Sacha
Old 29-07-2003, 03:42 PM
John Arruda

yes but sparingly. It's usually used to kill hair algae on waterfalls. It
should be left on for a few hrs.

Old 15-08-2003, 02:44 AM
Jerrispond

.
IS NON-IODIZED SALT ( table salt) THE ONE THAT IS SAFE TO USE IN THE POND??

Hi Sacha....Long time no see...I remember you from the watergardening
board....salt is one of those questions like rocks on bottom....some say yes to
salt some no. I have been ponding close to 15 years and have never once
added salt to any of my ponds. I don't believe in it. as you probably
remember I don't use a lot of anything that is not natural. I have hundreds of
water plants and I believe it is harmeful for the plants....salt is very good
for fish that are sick.....so if you need to salt a fish he should be in
quarentine anyway...catch him and put him in a HEATED quarentine tank Jerri

Old 15-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Gregory Young

I agree with Jerri..
In fact the web reference that Brett included talks about using salt as a
treatment (vs. preventative). To date there is no data that salt prevents
infection. The best disease preventatives are maintaining good water
quality, quarantining new arrivals, avoiding overcrowding, and avoiding
overfeeding. If you are successful with just these 4 items, you shouldn't
have any disease issues.
Using salt chronically (year round) only serves to select for resistant
(salt tolerant) pathogens.
Salt is fine for treatment of some parasites (unfortunately salt resistant
parasites are on the rise, compared to what was the case pre-1995).
Salt can be used short term for stress reduction (intro of new fish), or in
combination with large water changes for nitrite toxicity.
Short of that leave it out of the pond. Koi & GF are fresh water, not
brackish, and are adapted to living in low sodium water. In fact most
recommend against using softened water (NaCl containing) for ponds.
Happy ponding,
Greg

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
.
IS NON-IODIZED SALT ( table salt) THE ONE THAT IS SAFE TO USE IN THE

POND??

Hi Sacha....Long time no see...I remember you from the watergardening
board....salt is one of those questions like rocks on bottom....some say

yes to
salt some no. I have been ponding close to 15 years and have never

once
added salt to any of my ponds. I don't believe in it. as you probably
remember I don't use a lot of anything that is not natural. I have

hundreds of
water plants and I believe it is harmeful for the plants....salt is very

good
for fish that are sick.....so if you need to salt a fish he should be in
quarentine anyway...catch him and put him in a HEATED quarentine tank

Jerri

Question on salt [email protected] Ponds 4 23-08-2003 11:12 PM
Tamarisk: origin of "salt cedar" Mike Lyle Plant Science 37 28-06-2003 12:21 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
adding salt Carola / Les Ponds 8 08-02-2003 11:54 PM
What is "Coarse Salt" used for? Ablang Gardening 3 29-01-2003 04:33 AM