Old 14-04-2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pergola finished........

........at last. Framework is 2.5 inch rough poles. Topped with canes
supporting willow matting. Cuts sunlight by about half. Rocklights and
hanging lantern are on a timer and PIR. They activate between 8 & 11pm
whenever anyone approaches. Water temp now 18Deg C, fish eating like they've
never been fed before!! Some plants repotted, some new stuff in, more to
follow. Well, that took care of my weeks holiday!
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/pergola2/index.html

--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 14-04-2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

BoyPete wrote:
........at last. Framework is 2.5 inch rough poles. Topped with canes
supporting willow matting. Cuts sunlight by about half. Rocklights and
hanging lantern are on a timer and PIR. They activate between 8 & 11pm
whenever anyone approaches. Water temp now 18Deg C, fish eating like they've
never been fed before!! Some plants repotted, some new stuff in, more to
follow. Well, that took care of my weeks holiday!
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/pergola2/index.html

It's looking good :-) Bet you will appreciate sitting under it on days
like today - and it is only April :-0

Have you decided on any climbers yet?

Gill

Old 15-04-2007, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"BoyPete" wrote in message
........at last. Framework is 2.5 inch rough poles. Topped with canes
supporting willow matting. Cuts sunlight by about half. Rocklights and
hanging lantern are on a timer and PIR. They activate between 8 & 11pm
whenever anyone approaches. Water temp now 18Deg C, fish eating like
they've never been fed before!! Some plants repotted, some new stuff in,
more to follow. Well, that took care of my weeks holiday!
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/pergola2/index.html

==========================
Does it get any sun now at all? The plants may need a few hours of sun to
thrive. Just wondering?!?!?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-04-2007, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gill Passman wrote:
BoyPete wrote:
........at last. Framework is 2.5 inch rough poles. Topped with
canes supporting willow matting. Cuts sunlight by about half.
Rocklights and hanging lantern are on a timer and PIR. They activate
between 8 & 11pm whenever anyone approaches. Water temp now 18Deg C,
fish eating like they've never been fed before!! Some plants
repotted, some new stuff in, more to follow. Well, that took care
of my weeks holiday!
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/pergola2/index.html

It's looking good :-) Bet you will appreciate sitting under it on days
like today - and it is only April :-0

Have you decided on any climbers yet?

Gill

Got a Pyracantha 'Firethorn' on one corner post. Looking for something else.
Sat out this afternoon with a book, with sideways glances at fish.
Fascinating . Fish that is, not the book.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 15-04-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Now that is impressive. Lots of work there. I like seeing it go up.
It will keep the pond cooler and less green in the heat. I like the
bird feeder. We have several in our yard and love them.

Looking at the neighborhood brought back my days in Cambridge. We
lived in Fulbourn and the Bar Hill between 70 and 73. The in the city
when we visited on sabbatical.

Congratulations.

Jim

Old 15-04-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
........at last. Framework is 2.5 inch rough poles. Topped with canes
supporting willow matting. Cuts sunlight by about half. Rocklights
and hanging lantern are on a timer and PIR. They activate between 8
& 11pm whenever anyone approaches. Water temp now 18Deg C, fish
eating like they've never been fed before!! Some plants repotted,
some new stuff in, more to follow. Well, that took care of my weeks
holiday! http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/pergola2/index.html

==========================
Does it get any sun now at all? The plants may need a few hours of
sun to thrive. Just wondering?!?!?

Yes, a couple of afternoon hours
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 15-04-2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Now that is impressive. Lots of work there. I like seeing it go up.
It will keep the pond cooler and less green in the heat. I like the
bird feeder. We have several in our yard and love them.

Looking at the neighborhood brought back my days in Cambridge. We
lived in Fulbourn and the Bar Hill between 70 and 73. The in the city
when we visited on sabbatical.

Congratulations.

Jim

The bird feeder used to be at the back of the house, which borders on a
school field. Have moved it to front on pergola........no birds Any idea
how I can 'tell' them it's there?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 15-04-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

BoyPete wrote:

Got a Pyracantha 'Firethorn' on one corner post. Looking for something else.
Sat out this afternoon with a book, with sideways glances at fish.
Fascinating . Fish that is, not the book.

Nice choice :-)

Watch out for berries falling in the water.....but I've not ever really
had an issue with the stuff falling off - tends to get eaten before it
gets a chance.....nice and evergreen with white flowers and then the
berries - kind of an all season delight :-)

Mine grows quite rampantly.....so you may well need to prune a
bit....but mine is in full sunlight whereas yours is in the shade.....

Which way does your garden face? Are you going to get periods of
sunlight before the shade of the pergola kicks in?

Gill

Old 15-04-2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"BoyPete" wrote in message
The bird feeder used to be at the back of the house, which borders on a
school field. Have moved it to front on pergola........no birds Any
idea how I can 'tell' them it's there?
--

==========================
Fill it with sunflower seed. They'll soon be all over it. :-)) I still
have birds on my feeders and they're nesting already.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-04-2007, 05:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Looks wonderful Pete, thanks for the slide show.

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:38:45 CST, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

Fill it with sunflower seed. They'll soon be all over it. :-)) I still
have birds on my feeders and they're nesting already.

Hopefully you're talking the shelled kind?

I've slowly been moving away from the shells, what a mess. Course if it was
just birds it probably wouldn't be so bad. I have squirrels that eat & eat
&..... Why I've gone to the shell-less. I'm really thinking of weighing
both types and seeing just what is the break down price-wise.

Maybe someone has already done that? 50 lb bag w/shells, yields how many
lbs. of seed? I wonder if ask.com would know? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 15-04-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:35:07 CST, "BoyPete"
wrote:

The bird feeder used to be at the back of the house, which borders on a
school field. Have moved it to front on pergola........no birds Any idea
how I can 'tell' them it's there?

I'd try to keep it a secret, or move it away from the pond. I have a
few that visit my pond for water and am sure they bring in some
parasites, but I can't shoot them it is too close.

Regards,

Hal

Old 15-04-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Fill it with sunflower seed. They'll soon be all over it. :-)) I still
have birds on my feeders and they're nesting already.

Hopefully you're talking the shelled kind?

No. The "messy" kind. ;-) The feeders are out on the lawn so the hulls
just rot into the grass. Anything spilled is eaten by the wild doves.

I've slowly been moving away from the shells, what a mess. Course if it
was
just birds it probably wouldn't be so bad. I have squirrels that eat & eat
&..... Why I've gone to the shell-less. I'm really thinking of weighing
both types and seeing just what is the break down price-wise.

The neighbor's cats and Golden Retriever have discouraged squirrels (and
rabbits) from coming close to the houses anymore.

Maybe someone has already done that? 50 lb bag w/shells, yields how many
lbs. of seed? I wonder if ask.com would know? ~ jan

Post back and let us know.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-04-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Hal" wrote in message
I'd try to keep it a secret, or move it away from the pond. I have a
few that visit my pond for water and am sure they bring in some
parasites, but I can't shoot them it is too close.

==============================
If you're in the USA the only birds I am ware of that you can legally shoot
are the English Sparrows and the European Starlings.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-04-2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:
"Hal" wrote in message
I'd try to keep it a secret, or move it away from the pond. I have a
few that visit my pond for water and am sure they bring in some
parasites, but I can't shoot them it is too close.

==============================
If you're in the USA the only birds I am ware of that you can
legally shoot are the English Sparrows and the European Starlings.

HUH!! What's wrong with our sparrows and starlings?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 16-04-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:
"Hal" wrote in message
I'd try to keep it a secret, or move it away from the pond. I have a
few that visit my pond for water and am sure they bring in some
parasites, but I can't shoot them it is too close.

==============================
If you're in the USA the only birds I am ware of that you can
legally shoot are the English Sparrows and the European Starlings.

HUH!! What's wrong with our sparrows and starlings?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

They're very aggressive and push the native birds aside for food and nesting
space. :*(
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.