Old 31-05-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Down to three fish and today I think I figured out why

On Thu, 31 May 2007 09:28:18 CST, "MLF" wrote:

wrote
...it is plain "bird"
netting used all over the world and is not meant to actually catch
birds but keep them off of stuff.

Ingrid:

Thanks for your insight. Could you supply an internet link to a suitable
product? I don't mean to intend you to endorse any particular product or
vendor, just give us an example of the right type and an idea of the cost.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA
================================================= ===============

I bought bird netting at Lowes to keep leaves off during the winter,
but I don't want it in place during the summer!

$5.93 for 14'x14'

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00023132-10008
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Old 31-05-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote:

Too bad raptors are protected.
Jim

Not too bad, as we wouldn't have any if they weren't. What's too bad is
they don't have more a taste for herons and water turkeys (as Brett use to
call cormorants).

Fishing line with metallic orchard tape should discourage it I would think.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I read in the paper the other day where a group of people who raise
"tumbling" pigeons have killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 to
2,000 raptors per year because they attack their pigeons! People never cease
to amaze me when it comes to what "they" think is right. Here's a link:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...78.story?ctrac
k=1&cset=true

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 31-05-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

go to any home depot, lowes, hardware store and ask for bird netting.
it is very inexpensive and the stuff lasts for years. Ingrid

Old 31-05-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

yeah... I remember when I was a kid had a boyfriend with rollers and
used to lay outside in the field and watch em roll. never remember
losing em to hawks, but then we were just coming off use of DDT and
there werent too many raptors anywhere.

My DH and I wanted to keep and fly some rollers and we had those birds
1 week before the raptors found em. The birds were never allowed out
and eventually the weasels found a way thru several layers of chicken
wire and killed them all in the flight cage. sigh. Keeping flying
pigeons would only work in the middle of a pretty big city. I am in
Milwaukee and the other day I was sitting outside in my backyard when
I nearly got bopped by some kinda hawk trying to snag a sparrow. We
are only 6 blocks from the lake and woods, but even so.......

glad to see the raptors back. Ingrid

On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:45:39 CST, San Diego Joe

Old 03-06-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It would solve the problem legally.

drc

"Cyli" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:05:33 CST, Mike Patterson
wrote:

Spotted a rather large redtail hawk perched on a post, watching the
pond. Over a year ago I saw one swoop down and hit the water with it's
talons but miss.

Maybe I need to get some really BIG fish that he couldn't lift out of
the water.

You mean bigger than the ordinary rabbit? It'll certainly take
squirrels and rabbits. I think you'll have to get your fish better
places to hide.

Even if you do get a humongous fish, it might still try and might
injure the fish badly in the attempt.

Netting is iffy. If you do netting, be sure that the hawk will be
easily able to see it. You don't want a dead hawk tangled in netting
in your pool.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I nearly got bopped by some kinda hawk trying to snag a sparrow. We
are only 6 blocks from the lake and woods, but even so.......

Every so often we have one come thru here trying for the birds at the bird
feeders. I've never seen evidence of little birds, but I have seen Robin
remains. One time we had a sharp shin hawk actually sit on the deck rail
next to the bird feeders and look in the slider at us. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: