Old 24-06-2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Blue Heron

We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a heron
come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate one
of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a 14 foot
high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would putting a
small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He has been back
since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick meal now. I am
sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting wouldn't be a very good
option since we don't have anyplace to secure it. Here is a link to a videos
of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv
I think you can see why we can't really secure a net.

Old 24-06-2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I wrote up this primer once upon a time...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Help, something is eating my fish!
Build it and all of a sudden all of nature shows up in your backyard
eating your fish!

Herons, raccoons, snakes, bullfrogs and kingfishers are some of the
most common predators in backyard ponds.

What works to keep them away?

Depends on how your pond is set up and your individual predator ~

Try:

putting up an electric Fido Fence around the pond
or the more expensive Pond Guardian fence
setting up a motion activated sprinker, sometimes two for determined
predators
setting up a humane trap for raccoons (call Animal Control)
netting the pond
stringing fishing line here and there and everywhere to flummox
herons
putting in a 'heron scarer' decoy for kingfishers
(go to www.froogle.com for info and price comparisons)

Lethal methods are discouraged as some of these
animals are federally protected and you can get in a lot of trouble
which cuts into pond dollars and pond time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good luck and let us know if you try any of these methods
and how they work. (Labrador abuse works at our pond ;-)

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 24-06-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a
heron come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate
one of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a
14 foot high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would
putting a small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He
has been back since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick
meal now. I am sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting
wouldn't be a very good option since we don't have anyplace to secure it.
Here is a link to a videos of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv I
think you can see why we can't really secure a net.

I've heard it said that herons are territorial and will not come around
when another heron is around. With that in mine, some have suggested
placing a Heron statue near the pond. I'm skeptical of this as I've never
tried it or needed to (though I did have a large hawk visit my pond last
winter, but apparently without incident). But you could try it and see if
it works. Netting is the best deterent, but you said that isn't an option,
so perhaps others here can give you different advice than I have. One
thing that you shouldn't do, of course, is to harm the bird, since it is a
protected species. Good luck.

George

Old 24-06-2007, 11:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:56:29 CST, "Goldlexus"
wrote:

We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a heron
come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate one
of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a 14 foot
high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would putting a
small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He has been back
since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick meal now. I am
sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting wouldn't be a very good
option since we don't have anyplace to secure it. Here is a link to a videos
of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv
I think you can see why we can't really secure a net.

My heron scarecrow sprinklers have worked for me.
http://www.aquaticponds.com/Pest%20Control.htm Click on the video. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 24-06-2007, 11:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks for the advice, I may try some fishing line. That would be managable
with our pond set up. Another question, are there certain times of day that
they may come around? Haven't seen the booger since he nabbed the one
goldfish. The fish don't seem skidish either perhaps it happened so fast
they don't even know there were/are in danger. Also, why on earth after
having these fish for over 3 years did a heron show up.? Never seen one
before today.

Old 24-06-2007, 11:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Exactly the same happened to me - no 'visitors' for 8 years and then
suddenly a couple of months ago I got up in the morning and a huge bird was
standing within feet of my conservatory door gazing in the pond. I thought
he's eaten the lot as the water was all churned up and not a single fish in
sight.
It took 2 days for them to start emerging from the bottom of the pond under
the plants (thank God, safe), so they must have been very distressed by the
attack.
I rushed out and got a very good Heron replica which is still standing on
the edge of the pond, but it's not 100% effective as the Heron came around
again although didn't attack. So - I resorted to netting, expecting it to
look dreadful.
However, I got black, very fine netting and stretched it very tightly over
the main pond, pegging it down in the soil behind the rocks - you can hardly
see it. And it works - no more visitations !! I can sleep again at night
knowing my little friends are safe.
It's not necessary to net the waterfall obviously as there's no fish there -
couldn't you do the same thing somehow across your main pond, pegging the
netting behind the rocks ? I used wire 'corners' which I snip off each end
of wire hangers to peg the netting - they make very flexible pegs which can
be pushed into small cracks, they are strong and virtually invisible.

Old 24-06-2007, 11:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a heron
come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate one
of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a 14
foot high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would
putting a small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He has
been back since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick meal
now. I am sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting wouldn't be
a very good option since we don't have anyplace to secure it. Here is a
link to a videos of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv I
think you can see why we can't really secure a net.

===========================
My connection is too slow to watch videos but we had a similar problem. We
made some changes and netted the ponds and the large grow-out and goldfish
tanks behind the house. We not only had herons but kingfishers, snapper
turtles, water snakes and bullfrogs cleaning out our ponds. Jan claims
success with those motion activated water sprinklers. Other people mention
fishing line around the pond. These things may work for herons but are not
much use against the others.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-06-2007, 11:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"George" wrote:
"Goldlexus" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
I've heard it said that herons are territorial and will not come around
when another heron is around. With that in mine, some have suggested
placing a Heron statue near the pond. I'm skeptical of this as I've
never tried it or needed to (though I did have a large hawk visit my pond
last winter, but apparently without incident). But you could try it and
see if it works. Netting is the best deterent, but you said that isn't
an option, so perhaps others here can give you different advice than I
have. One thing that you shouldn't do, of course, is to harm the bird,
since it is a protected species. Good luck.

I started with a very lifelike Heron statue by the pond. It was of no
value. I gave it to a friend in Texas, who now has it watching over his
herd of plastic Pink Flamingos in his front yard. Then I got enough garden
"hoop" fence to surround the pond, similar to the left hand picture on the
'borders' page at http://www.gardman.co.uk/asp/product...os_borders.asp,
but taller. They're steel, covered with green plastic. I think I bought
them at Home Depot. The tops were high enough that I was able to attach
bird netting to the top, secured with tie wraps near the bottom. No more
Heron problem. ;-)

HTH

~Semper Fi~

Old 24-06-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice, I may try some fishing line. That would be
managable with our pond set up. Another question, are there certain times
of day that they may come around? Haven't seen the booger since he nabbed
the one goldfish. The fish don't seem skidish either perhaps it happened
so fast they don't even know there were/are in danger. Also, why on earth
after having these fish for over 3 years did a heron show up.? Never seen
one before today.

A lot of the country is in a drought, so he may have initially been
attracted by the water, then found that there were easy pickings there.

George

Old 25-06-2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 24, 6:45 am, "Goldlexus" wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I may try some fishing line. That would be managable
with our pond set up.

We thought the fishing line sounded good too - then we watched the
heron
tip toe over and thru the fishing line. We then moved on to netting
the pond.
That worked, although the heron was able to stab a fish thru the net
but couldn't
extract it. The fish did survive but does carry a scar.
Now we rely on the motion detector and haven't seen a heron since it
was
installed.
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-06-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
Then I got enough garden
"hoop" fence to surround the pond, similar to the left hand picture on the
'borders' page at
http://www.gardman.co.uk/asp/product...os_borders.asp,
but taller. They're steel, covered with green plastic. I think I bought
them at Home Depot. The tops were high enough that I was able to attach
bird netting to the top, secured with tie wraps near the bottom. No more
Heron problem. ;-)

==============================
That's how my ponds are covered. I got the "hoop" fence at Wal*Mart. It was
something like 10' for $2.99. It keeps the net high enough over the water
that heron beaks can't reach the surface no less the fish. Exuberant small
jumpers don't gillnet themselves either.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 25-06-2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

We thought the fishing line sounded good too - then we watched the
heron
tip toe over and thru the fishing line. We then moved on to netting
the pond.
That worked, although the heron was able to stab a fish thru the net
but couldn't
extract it. The fish did survive but does carry a scar.
Now we rely on the motion detector and haven't seen a heron since it
was
installed.

Proves that it is a trial and error procedure to find out what works
for
your pond. Glad you found a solution that works!

k :-)

Old 26-06-2007, 06:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Bonnie in NJ wrote:
We thought the fishing line sounded good too - then we watched the heron
tip toe over and thru the fishing line. We then moved on to netting the pond.
That worked, although the heron was able to stab a fish thru the net but couldn't
extract it. The fish did survive but does carry a scar.
Now we rely on the motion detector and haven't seen a heron since it
was installed.

I bet you're happier dealing with the sprinkler than the net
anyway. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 26-06-2007, 05:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message

I bet you're happier dealing with the sprinkler than the net
anyway. ;-) ~ jan

========================
Unfortunately the sprinklers wont work on the snapper turtles, water snakes,
bullfrogs and Kingfishers. If the hose pops while you're gone for the day
or a weekend, expect a large water bill.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 26-06-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:57:14 CST, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

========================
Unfortunately the sprinklers wont work on the snapper turtles, water snakes,
bullfrogs and Kingfishers. If the hose pops while you're gone for the day
or a weekend, expect a large water bill.

Well.... in this particular thread we were not talking about those
critters. So let's not poo poo something that works, just because it
doesn't work for you or your situation. ;-)

As Kathy said in her post, each pond is unique and not every pond is like
mine or yours. Thus when it is a heron or any critter the size of a robin
on up that stands by the pond, sprinklers DO work. I'm sure it goes off
when the Kingfisher strikes, but the bird probably is too fast in dive mode
to be diverted.

As far as the hose popping off, I've NEVER had that happen in the years I
was using a hose. To free up use of a hose though, DS hard piped all my
motion sprinkler connections and put the pipe under ground directly to the
spot I wanted. I've been using 2 of them now between 5-7 years, never a
problem. No different in my mind than running ones automated sprinklers.
And as far as going OOT, one should ALWAYS have a pond sitter anyway.

Now let's talk about the cons of nets:

Ugly, unless it is possible to make it taunt.
In the way, unless one can put it high overhead.
Too low the heron strikes thru and the plants grow thru and get tangled.
If not taunt enough leaves lay on it and droop into the water, gill netting
fish or just polluting the water like a tea bag.
If too high, or any accidental openings, a heron will fly in and walk
under.

Shall I go on? I have some real ponders stories I could share. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 9 13-09-2004 02:33 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 21 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 2 01-07-2004 07:02 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Andrew Burgess Ponds 0 27-06-2004 09:07 PM