Old 07-07-2007, 09:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pump Plugged up...What do you think?

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 00:23:00 CST, "Goldlexus"
wrote:

No kidding. This group is great group with a lot of knowledge and
willingness to share that knowledge. It is so
appreciated.
Hubby got into the pond again this evening after work and moved more rocks.
He was able to get his hand into
the suction hole on the bottom to feel around. Nothing there but the
impeller which moved freely. So we plugged it in to
see if there was any difference, there was none Still getting 3psi thru'
the pressurized filter. Needs to be at 5 to get the water flow coming out of
the waterfall the way we like it. So we need to make sure nothing is in the
pipe going from the pump to the filter. We don't know exactly how to do that
with out cutting the pipe at the pump. It is only about 5-6 feet of pipe
length from pump to filter with most of the pipe a bit under ground. Would
using a plumbing snake work? Putting the snake thru' at the open end of the
filter? Once we have eliminated a clog in the pipe than we will have to look
at the pump as our problem. Although I am not entirely sure it is the pump
but after a process of elimination I don't know where else to look but the
pump.
Right now the quietness in my backyard is driving me nuts! I love the sound
of the waterfall especially at night. sigh
I will keep you all posted for sure.

What about the filter? Could something be up with it that the water isn't
passing through? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Intersting point. I am curious about how the pressure is measured.

You commented on 3 psi -through- the filter. Does that mean into
rather than out of? Can you tell about the into and out of pressures?

Reflectint on your system: You have mentioned three main components:

Pump: plumbed in and hard to move. Seems clear of debris and has free
impeller. Water flow into the pump appears free. The system was
working with this arrangement. Supposed to handle up to 2" junk. If
junk through is larger than the outlet and is fairly solid, it could
clog the pump at the outlet and restrict the flow.

Pipe: 5-6 ft long. Not yet clear if it is plugged in some way. If it
is smaller than what the pump can send on, i.e. less than the exit of
the pump, it could be plugged by the pump. I suspect the pump,
however, has a smaller outlet than 2". Perhaps the pipe could be
snaked or have an hose pushed into it to flush it. If it has turns
and if something came out of the pump that could not clear the turn,
you could have a problem that you would not find.

Filter: Easiest to clean or to inspect. I gather you can check out
the pressure in some way and perhaps make a visual inspection. Would
a clog or jam show up? Could you recognize it?

Interesting and painful problem. I suspect lots of us would like to
jump into your pond!

Have I missed any components?

Jim

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Okay here are some answers to your questions but first I took some pictures.
Here is the link http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Nikkiekoala/Pond/

For Jan yes we have taken apart the filter, removed the charcoal bags and
shot the hose thru' the top flex pipe that goes to the pump. The water went
thru' but not sure how well.
The water didn't back up into the filter when spraying in. Doesn't mean
anything though. Obviously the water can flow thru' whatever is there if
something is in there.

The pipe in the pond to the pump is definitely larger than the pipe that it
joins with that then goes to the filter. So something maybe in the larger
pipe but is too big
to pass thru' to the smaller pipe. The flexible pipe at the lid of the
filter has sprung a leak, that is the pipe that goes out to the pump. In the
pictures you can see the
pump box and under the box you see the flex pipe come out under going into
the ground. We are probably going to have to replace this flexible pipe. The
leak is a
pin hole leak too small, I think, to affect the water pressure that much.

The filter has a gauge on the lid on the opposite side from the water
intake. The water out up to the waterfall is on the bottom. It is the gauge
that measures psi in the filter.

My thinking is this....The clog or problem has to be between the pump and
filter. If the problem was after the filter the psi in the filter would
still read 5psi maybe higher if there
was a slow down/back up to the filter. Since the filter is not showing 5psi
with water coming in something is obstructing the water flow before water
enters the filter. Right?

Since moving rocks, cleaning filter, back flushing filter to pump pipe
yesterday we went from less the 2 psi (resulting into a trickle at the
waterfall) to 3psi (resulting in a much faster water flow
from the waterfall but less than what is normal) in the filter so something
we did improved things but didn't complete fix it.

Boy, this thing has my brain going all the time. I can't wait until we get
to the bottom of it all. Hubby is working today so I am not sure it he is
going to want to deal with it today. I think
I may unearth the flex pipe down to the pond edge and see how the smaller
pipe and larger pipe is joined.

Thanks so much for helping us brainstorm this. BTW any of you around the
Portland Oregon area and would like to play in our pond *wink*

oups.com...

Old 07-07-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It sounds like maybe you have a pipe obsruction.. maybe use a cheap plumbing
snake available from Lowe's Home Depot, or even walmart, to see if there's
anything in there?

They always come in handy sooner or later for your home anyway, and are much
better on your pipes and septic systems then chemical clog solutions.

Might be a quick 5 minute clear?

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 07-07-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:38:24 CST, "Goldlexus"
wrote:

Okay here are some answers to your questions but first I took some pictures.
Here is the link http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Nikkiekoala/Pond/

Oh boy, pictures.... Says I need a password. :-( ~ jan

[...]

roups.com...

Old 08-07-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Okay here are some answers to your questions but first I took some pictures.
Here is the link http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Nikkiekoala/Pond/

Thanks Goldie.

This won't help you current situation, but do you have a picture of the
water going? That's got to be something to see & hear! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-07-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ya I do here is the link.
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv
I posted this link under 'Blue Heron' post but nobody was probably able to
see it since I had the account set on Private Now that it is set to
Public you should be able to view it.
It is quite the waterfall. We love it and miss it right now. Hubby is going
to try and replace the flexible pipe today and hopefully we can see or get
to whatever is blocking the flow. Boy we sure hope something stuck is
causing this slow down. If nothing is there than our pump is the problem.
BTW send good thoughts we know NOTHING about plumbing stuff but we are going
to tackle this. I read the 'how to's' on the internet and it looks fairly
easy.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 11:37:17 CST, "Goldlexus"
wrote:

Ya I do here is the link.
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv

Ah yes, I saw it then, I did wonder if it was one and the same. Such a
difference when their dry. :-(

It is quite the waterfall. We love it and miss it right now. Hubby is going
to try and replace the flexible pipe today and hopefully we can see or get
to whatever is blocking the flow. Boy we sure hope something stuck is
causing this slow down. If nothing is there than our pump is the problem.
BTW send good thoughts we know NOTHING about plumbing stuff but we are going
to tackle this. I read the 'how to's' on the internet and it looks fairly
easy.

If your husband ever played with those build-it kits as a kid, it shouldn't
be too bad. ;-) That's how I look at the parts my son gets at the hardware
store, he's gone from kiddy put-together toys to an adult version. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-07-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default UPDATE Pump Plugged up...What do you think?

There is nothing worse than a dry waterfall
We replaced the flex pipe that had the leak. That was easy just had to find
the end that was underground. We found it. Before putting the new pipe on we
snaked the large pipe down to the pump then hubby got in the pond again to
feel around the bottom of the pump. He felt a rock but every time he tried
to get it it would slip away somewhere in the pump. After awhile he couldn't
even feel the rock, we began to wonder if it worked itself out. We also ran
water down towards the pump again. Hubby than got a large flat rock to
slide under the pump so it wont suck up any other small rock. We put
everything back together, plugged in the pump and it is the same Well a
little better instead of the gauge reading 3 psi it is just a smidge over
the 3 mark. Ya so what right? Anyway, we give up. I guess we will just run
it as is. Since I work for the school district I am out of work for the
Summer, we don't have the money to pull the pump and re-do the plumbing so
it has a screw type of connection. Hubby is not that willing to try to take
on that task. He is NOT handy in anyway so we have to count on others.
For now we have the waterfall on. It is better than nothing but not quite
the same. Thanks to you all for your help and advice.
BTW how long does it take for the rushing water in the pipe to wear down the
rock that is in the pipe? *wink*

Old 29-08-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Goldlexus" wrote:

Okay here are some answers to your questions but first I took some pictures.
Here is the link http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Nikkiekoala/Pond/

That link requires a logon?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.