Old 14-07-2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Had to disduckweed my barrels and summer ponds several times..

Hi all..

Well was still asked to display my actual TFA_thread here,
too..! ;-)

***
This year seem to be a duckweed year. This morning I removed
3.200 gr. of wet duckweed and one week ago I had to remove
3.700 gr...!

The water flies multiply well, no disturbing mosquitos - but
a lot of duckweed..!

Well one of our neighbours keeps water turtles from the U.S.
and several goldfish..

Both love to eat duckweed..

Especially his turtles - what we
call "Rotwangenschmuckschildkroete" (means as much as "Red
Cheek Turtle") are big duckweed eaters..

What are your experiences with duckweed this year..?

Thanks.
***
--
cu
Marco

Old 14-07-2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

None in the pond but lots of it in the deck
pondlets which only have tadpoles and snails.

In the biggest deck pondlet the azolla seems
to be crowding out the duckweed. I take several
handfuls out a day.

Azolla can be a pain. I had it take over a shallow
water bog once and it all up and died once
the water temperatures got too hot. Duckweed
seems to be made of sterner stuff.

k :-)

Old 14-07-2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Excellent growth here, in the fishless containers. Great fish food, I use
it in my quarantine tank, as it filters the water and is great food for the
fish in there. I'll also bring it inside to the goldfish in aquariums.

I have 3 pots by the front door that I put my iris in during the summer
(tropical cannas go in the pond taking their place there till fall). I put
2 tiny fantails in 2 of the pots, and a couple taddies in the other pot.
The duckweed is thick on all 3, making me suspect the fantails didn't make
it.... Yet, when I disturb the surface looking for mosquito larvae so far
I'm not finding any. I don't see the goldfish or taddies either.

Do you have any fish in your barrels and ponds? Or not the type that eat
duckweed? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-07-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
The duckweed is thick on all 3, making me suspect the fantails didn't make
it.... Yet, when I disturb the surface looking for mosquito larvae so far
I'm not finding any. I don't see the goldfish or taddies either.

==============================
If there's no aeration they may have suffocated due to the duckweed covering
too much of the surface area.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-07-2007, 01:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Marco,

Nice to see you over here on rpm as well as on TFA. I suspect a lot
of us have duckweed in our ponds. As I commented on TFA, mine has
beeter luck where it is neither crowded out nor eaten up.

Jim

Old 15-07-2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Jim..

Thanks for the kind welcome..! :-)

As I commented on TFA,
mine has beeter luck where it is neither crowded out nor
eaten up.

Yeah. At the moment we've no duckweed eaters in the barrels
and summer ponds, too..

@ Jan:

Would recommend to remove it (duckweed) from the surface
because of the gas exchange..

@ all:

Thanks..!
--
cu
Marco

Old 16-07-2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I remove five handfuls a day of azolla and
duckweed out of one of
my little deck pondlets.
I need to set some kind of timed camera on
it to watch it grow!

k :-)

Rate This Thread: