Old 02-09-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Best pond netting ideas?

What's the cheapest, and best way to net them?
How do you keep the netting high enough up from the water for your plants?
What do ya do about frogs in the pond that want to get to the rocks around
your pond?

I'm guessing that I'd need to build a "tentpole" thing for inside the pond
itself? Then use, maybe tent stakes to stake it down?

AZponds have 12x15' right now for $17 shipped.. if there's a cheaper home
depot/lowe's like solution though, that would make more sense.

I've never netted before (obviously), but I don't want to have to fish as
much crap out of the pond next spring, and we're already getting a lot of
leaves falling. It's far too early in the season for that, but the bad
drought this year might be having some effect. I'd say across my street,
that maybe 20% of the leaves are off some trees already, and in some cases,
specific types of trees have already turned brown, and some rees have
already lost their leaves!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 02-09-2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote:
What's the cheapest, and best way to net them?
How do you keep the netting high enough up from the water for your
plants? What do ya do about frogs in the pond that want to get to the
rocks around your pond?

I'm guessing that I'd need to build a "tentpole" thing for inside the
pond itself? Then use, maybe tent stakes to stake it down?

AZponds have 12x15' right now for $17 shipped.. if there's a cheaper home
depot/lowe's like solution though, that would make more sense.
[ . . . ]

I bought bird net at Home Depot, used fencing to support it, lashed down
with 'cable ties'. My friend uses PVC pipe to construct frames. Cheap and
easy. HTH

~Semper Fi~

Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sep 1, 5:05 pm, "Gareee©" wrote:
[...]

Yea check at the Big Box stoes first! I make the Structure big and
large so that I could be part of the scene - old setup!:

http://wolfbat359.com/catcage122.jpg

http://wolfbat359.com/catcage123.jpg

http://wolfbat359.com/catcage130.jpg

http://wolfbat359.com/catcage142.jpg

http://www.isengrim.com/pond20051.jpg

http://www.isengrim.com/pond20055.jpg

http://www.isengrim.com/pond20052.jpg

Course, I attached it to the old cat cage and my garage! I have to
use metal at the bottom since the cats can and do break out of the
netting! You can use a metal, wood, plastic or bamboo support
system! Just check the places for prices and the salvage places for
items! Search the newsgroups and the web and the blogs for ideas!

Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:05:17 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

What's the cheapest, and best way to net them?

I got "pond netting" smaller holes then bird netting, 14X14 for $9.99 at
our local Fred Meyer. I would think the hardware stores you mentioned would
also carry it. We hooked it to the deck, and since the 6' fence wasn't
quite tall enough (water hibiscus is 8') we used these heavy duty green
gardening stakes that must be 9-10 feet long. Son used fishing line to
attach netting sections. Also went to harbor freight and got these great
yellow hooks that are kind of like bed sheet holders, so the netting does
tear when pulled tight, more surface area. ~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 02-09-2007, 04:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 20:00:42 CST, ~ jan wrote:

yellow hooks that are kind of like bed sheet holders, so the netting does
tear when pulled tight, more surface area. ~ jan

That's suppose to read so the netting doesN'T tear when pulled tight. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 02-09-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message

I got "pond netting" smaller holes then bird netting, 14X14 for $9.99 at
our local Fred Meyer. I would think the hardware stores you mentioned
would
also carry it.

Cool.. I'll check this week and see what i can find before ordering online.
Sounds like I'll need stakes or pvc pipe anyway.

Hmmm.. I have 14/ acre of bamboo.. maybe I can put it to good use?

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"chatnoir" wrote in message

Yea check at the Big Box stoes first! I make the Structure big and
large so that I could be part of the scene - old setup!:

Holy crap that's BIG! LOL!

Our cats wander around it, mainly watching the frogs, but don't bother with
the fish. And in winter time, they like to walk across the ice and lick it..
LOL!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 03-09-2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message
What's the cheapest, and best way to net them?
How do you keep the netting high enough up from the water for your plants?
What do ya do about frogs in the pond that want to get to the rocks around
your pond?

========================
I use the fine black netting from ACE Hardware. It comes in various sizes.
The cheap wire garden fencing holds it high enough above the water for most
plants. Others grow through it. The rocks are inside the net so don't
affect frogs small enough to squeeze through.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gareee© wrote:
see what i can find before ordering online.
Sounds like I'll need stakes or pvc pipe anyway.

Hmmm.. I have 14/ acre of bamboo.. maybe I can put it to good use?

They build houses, fences, and bridges out of bamboo. I think you could
rig a little bit of netting with it. Heck of a lot better and more
natural looking than PVC.

Chip

Old 03-09-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chip" wrote in message ...
Gareee© wrote:
see what i can find before ordering online.
Sounds like I'll need stakes or pvc pipe anyway.

Hmmm.. I have 14/ acre of bamboo.. maybe I can put it to good use?

They build houses, fences, and bridges out of bamboo. I think you could
rig a little bit of netting with it. Heck of a lot better and more
natural looking than PVC.

I've got some as tall as 30-40 feet. think I'll cut a few stalks, and bury
them on one side, and then bend them over and lash them down to the other
side. I can take one piece, run it down the center, and tie the bent tops to
it for some stability.

Then I just need the netting, and I'll be done. I keep trying to find SOME
use for the damned stuff.. I took a construction vehicle, tore most of it
out 2 years ago, and that whole area is again covered by growth 10-20 feet
high already!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

my tall plants are in my veggie filter, only plant in the pond is a
water lily. so my netting is just over the pond.
netting can be seen (or not) here
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/changes/changes2.htm

yes. trees drop leaves when heat stressed. sometimes trees die too.
I make sure to water the good trees. Ingrid

Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
yes. trees drop leaves when heat stressed. sometimes trees die too.
I make sure to water the good trees. Ingrid

Just read an article today that many people lost Japanese maples around here
this year, because of the late freezes back to back, and then the extended
drought.

We had planted a small one last year, and yep, did loose it as well.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Just read an article today that many people lost Japanese maples around
here this year, because of the late freezes back to back, and then the
extended drought.

We had planted a small one last year, and yep, did loose it as well.

====================================
We've lost many nice trees on our property. Some nice oaks, elms, a few
hollies and 2 beautiful 25 year old hickories, one a shagbark. Most of the
shrubs and flowers have died to the late freeze, then the drought and 100+
heat.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote:
"Chip" wrote in message
Gareee© wrote:
[]
Hmmm.. I have 14/ acre of bamboo.. maybe I can put it to good use?
[ . . . ]

I've got some as tall as 30-40 feet. think I'll cut a few stalks,[ . . .
. ] I took a construction vehicle, tore most of it out 2 years ago, and
that whole area is again covered by growth 10-20 feet high already!

Don't be surprised if the stalks you stick in the ground rejuvenate and
spread as well!

~Semper Fi~

Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Gareee©" wrote:
"Chip" wrote in message
Gareee© wrote:
[]
Hmmm.. I have 14/ acre of bamboo.. maybe I can put it to good use?
[ . . . ]

I've got some as tall as 30-40 feet. think I'll cut a few stalks,[ . . .
. ] I took a construction vehicle, tore most of it out 2 years ago, and
that whole area is again covered by growth 10-20 feet high already!

Don't be surprised if the stalks you stick in the ground rejuvenate and
spread as well!

Oh, cripes! that's the last thing I want, spreading more bamboo around!
Maybe I'll burn the bottoms a little before putting them into the ground.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Best Way to Put Netting over Seedlings in Raised Bed? Davy United Kingdom 9 10-08-2007 11:59 AM
netting of the pond re breeding frogs/toads Ka30P Ponds 1 19-10-2004 11:12 PM
netting of the pond re breeding frogs/toads Ka30P Ponds 0 18-10-2004 02:53 AM
netting your pond *muffin* Ponds 21 02-10-2003 12:21 PM
netting your pond *muffin* Ponds 0 19-09-2003 11:39 PM