Old 19-09-2003, 11:46 PM
*muffin*

Default netting your pond

how do you guys attach the nets to the top of your pond??
do they sink? or how do you pull them taut?
& how do you clean the leaves off???
(I can see me trying & then dumping everything IN the pond)

I picked up 2 bird nets at lowes (14' wide...... have to overlap??? sew
together???) it has 1 in. holes. I hope this is ok to use,,

Old 20-09-2003, 12:36 AM
FBCS

Hi Muffin

I use the same netting. I have mine lifted up over the ponds approx 18in. I
use metal stakes intended for staking peonies you can pick them up at Lowes.
They are straight then have small circles are the top. I pull as tight as I
can hooking the net to the stake and place rock at the bottom to hold tight.
It is high enough for plants and easy access for cleaning. You get used to
seeing it. Just remember the danger of it laying in the water, net catches
fish. You sew them together or overlap depending on the size of your pond.
Joann

Old 20-09-2003, 06:24 AM
*muffin*

ok, so how do you clean it??
doesn't the leaves go UNDER the net?

(still trying to picture all this!)

Old 20-09-2003, 07:42 AM
FBCS

I remove the rocks holding the bottom and lift up the side and use pool vac
hose or what ever. When I have to do a big clean I will just pull out the
stakes and remove the net. I net because of heron, this is the best solution
for me. The stakes keep the net from ending up on the pond water resulting
in Koi or GF getting caught in the net. By the way I have caught 2 snakes in
the net this summer. I would rather have it netted than lose my wetones yet
again. Joann

Old 20-09-2003, 11:03 AM
John Bachman

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:52:06 -0400, "*muffin*"
wrote:

ok, so how do you clean it??
doesn't the leaves go UNDER the net?

(still trying to picture all this!)

Take a look at my design at www.anatekcorp.com/garden/pondscreen.htm
You can build your own along this lines if you want.

The netting is one piece and the whole frame, net an all tilt for easy
cleaning. I am finding that the dome shape is mostly self cleaning,
the leaves just blow off and I rake them up.

The polyester mesh that I use holds up in the outdoors much better
than nylon. The velcro fasteners are simple, sturdy and easily
connected and reconnected. I have not found this fasteners retail but
I can supply them if you want. I can also supply the mesh but have it
in white only at the present time.

John

Old 20-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Ron

You can use this link to visit our pond page
and check out the PVC frame and leaf net system.
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/Cement_Pond1.html
It's been up now for 3 years and works fine.
There's an extra section that's rolled up laying
on top that I roll down in the fall to stop more
of the leaves that are flying around.
I leave the net up all year around since we have
lots of large trees that are all the time dropping
junk in the pond.
I just the leaf blower to blow the leaves off the collect
on top.

Happy ponding.

Ron in NC
Old 21-09-2003, 12:27 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:48:52 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

how do you guys attach the nets to the top of your pond??

There is a picture of my pond, http://users.owt.com/jjspond/
page 1, that shows my fall arrangement. The only problem with this
arrangement is I sometimes have to clip plants before they're totally
ready, but since I use so many tropicals in the koi ponds, seems I'm only
clipping the cattails.

I tried bird netting the first fall and ended up making a big pond of tea.
If you have maples or trees with leaves of similar shape they get caught in
the netting and don't blow off. Tenting might help. If caught and left,
they dry and break apart falling thru anyway. Bug screening keeps
everything but fine dust out, so my cleaning in the fall doesn't have to be
repeated in the spring, as I leave the screens on all winter.

The bug screening has lasted 8 years and when I do replace it I'll probably
use shade cloth or look into
http://www.anatekcorp.com/garden/pondscreen.htm

& how do you clean the leaves off???

I use my shop vac to remove the leaves off the top of the screens.~ jan

Old 21-09-2003, 01:22 AM
*muffin*

mmmm bug screening......

didn't thin k of that, since the pond places show NETTING with holes in it.
now......... bug netting, can this be bought at lowes? home depot? its
different than door screen , right?

Old 21-09-2003, 01:42 AM
*muffin*

There is a picture of my pond, http://users.owt.com/jjspond/
page 1, that shows my fall arrangement. The only problem with this
arrangement is I sometimes have to clip plants before they're totally
ready, but since I use so many tropicals in the koi ponds, seems I'm only
clipping the cattails.

ok, remind me, what part of US are you??

do you get snow???

Old 21-09-2003, 03:02 AM
K30a

Muffin wrote
ok, remind me, what part of US are you??
do you get snow???

Jan and I are in SE WA, zone 7.
No snow last year except a few flakes on
Christmas Eve and you had to be quick to
catch them.
Our winters vary. One year we had so much
snow in a day my DH was turned back from going out
to work. Last year nada.
We usually have a cold snap sometime. Last
year it was October, others over Christmas
or New Years.
We only get 7 inches of rain a year. We're an
arid steppe or something like that. Sagebrush, tumbleweeds and sand.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 21-09-2003, 04:42 AM
*muffin*

ok, so how do the netting contraptions STAY in place under 2 feet of snow??

I showed my hubby the one on the page with the white pvc frame, & he said ,,
" yea right, florida maybe........"

Muffin first winter for THIS pond, & we can get some dang HIGH drifts!
btw,, I must have been **REALLY** lucky???!!! our 1st pond years ago,,
we never had a 'gas escape' hole,, it froze over solid,, maybe lost a couple
goldfish a winter........but then I didn't have 'big' koi, either.

Muffin wrote

Old 21-09-2003, 05:22 AM
K30a

muffin wrote STAY in place under 2 feet of snow?

That we don't know here.
But building a tent type with a peak
in the middle might work better.

Old 21-09-2003, 12:32 PM
John Bachman

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:08:43 -0400, "*muffin*"
wrote:

ok, so how do the netting contraptions STAY in place under 2 feet of snow??

I showed my hubby the one on the page with the white pvc frame, & he said ,,
" yea right, florida maybe........"

I am in Southern NH, lots of snow. But I do not leave the screen over
the pond for winter. That is why I made the design easy to
assemble/disassemble. I only need it in place Oct - Nov and then it
is dissassembled and stored.

I am thinking of finding the right kind of plastic so that I can use
it as a solar heater in early spring.

John

PS: See the screen that we are talking about at
www.anatekcorp.com/garden/pondscreen.htm

Old 21-09-2003, 11:05 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:58:40 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

mmmm bug screening......

didn't thin k of that, since the pond places show NETTING with holes in it.
now......... bug netting, can this be bought at lowes? home depot? its
different than door screen , right?

Yes, but look at shade cloth first, comes in wider widths. A nursery here
carries some light stuff that lets in 60% of the light, about equal to bug
screening. You don't want the real dense stuff. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a