Old 23-10-2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
gmb gmb is offline

Default Netting... leaf barriers... fall leaves... Cont'd

I finally have some photos of our multiple "screen panel" leaf
solution. The longest of which was to be hinged but that proved too
long and bowed so we opted for 3 stacked screens instead. We haven't
addressed the waterfall area yet, probably will just do a makeshift
screen curtain. (bird netting catches too many stems). So far I've
been able to take a yardstick and whisk the leaves to the side. Later
in the season I'll have to get the leaf blower out.

As I mentioned earlier, our entire yard is shady w/ trees except the
actual house footprint and driveway. There was no leaf-free placement
option. Our pond is above ground, inner dimensions approx. 9x12' not
including waterfall.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...d%20Screening/

For those interested in revisiting earlier thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...53334770d726dd

Thanks in advance for any input.

Gail
(Northern Virginia)

Old 24-10-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:54:39 CST, gmb wrote:

I finally have some photos of our multiple "screen panel" leaf
solution. The longest of which was to be hinged but that proved too
long and bowed so we opted for 3 stacked screens instead. We haven't
addressed the waterfall area yet, probably will just do a makeshift
screen curtain. (bird netting catches too many stems). So far I've
been able to take a yardstick and whisk the leaves to the side. Later
in the season I'll have to get the leaf blower out.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...d%20Screening/

Gail
(Northern Virginia)

Gail, they look really nice. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 24-10-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

gmb wrote:
I finally have some photos of our multiple "screen panel" leaf
solution.
As I mentioned earlier, our entire yard is shady w/ trees
Gail
(Northern Virginia)

I may not appreciate the volume of leaves you have to deal with (I lived
in Annapolis and know your region well), but it seems that covering the
pond with screen(s) defeats the purpose of having a pond. Unless you
are just raising fish to be sold, a pond IMHO is for gazing at something
alive and natural, especially the fish. All the money and effort to
make it look natural, then covering that with wood frame screening?

Could you use your leaf blower with the wet leaves on the pond? A pool
leaf net might work for you. It is fast and easy in my pool. How about
a thing like a two handed saw, but instead of a saw blade, a net that
scoops up all the surface leaves in one pass.

Chip

Old 25-10-2007, 05:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
gmb gmb is offline

I may not appreciate the volume of leaves you have to deal with (I
lived
in Annapolis and know your region well), but it seems that covering the
pond with screen(s) defeats the purpose of having a pond.

Yes, leaf thwarting disrupts "natural beauty" BUT I am not looking out
the window 24/7 and my 2003 car has "hail storm" dents from acorn
punishment. My fish are little now but I'd hate to see a beamed
innocent from an oak bomb. The leaf drop is temporary, so is the
screening. We have 3 waves of county vacuum truck pick-ups - all of
which are impressive. I will try and post a typical street photo prior
to a pick-up. Our streets become 1-way passable with leaf mountains
almost as tall as the cars on *both* sides of the curb THREE times a
season! You finally realize you have neighbors when you hear everyone
raking in the dark the night before a pick-up. The trees are nice but
expensive to maintain - either your time or money for leaf removal.
Some leaves are the size of dinner plates. Scooping sunken leaves from
bottom disrupts the mulm. Actually in the spring we have an oak POLLEN
drop problem. My pond water was DARK tea colored. Then I had to
agonize/cover/protect from county helicopter pesticide sprays!

Shady, cough-cough
in N. Virginia

Old 25-10-2007, 02:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Now THAT is a leaf problem.

Jim

Old 25-10-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:47:33 CST, Chip wrote:

I may not appreciate the volume of leaves you have to deal with (I lived
in Annapolis and know your region well), but it seems that covering the
pond with screen(s) defeats the purpose of having a pond. Unless you
are just raising fish to be sold, a pond IMHO is for gazing at something
alive and natural, especially the fish. All the money and effort to
make it look natural, then covering that with wood frame screening?

Could you use your leaf blower with the wet leaves on the pond? A pool
leaf net might work for you. It is fast and easy in my pool. How about
a thing like a two handed saw, but instead of a saw blade, a net that
scoops up all the surface leaves in one pass.
Chip

In Gail's case, I bet she plans to take those screens off after the leaves
have all fallen. You may have an easier set up, smaller pond, or never had
to deal with very many leaves in a pond at one time? Trust me, they are a
PITA and toxic to the fish if left too long. Plus, depending on the type of
tree, they can change the water from clear to dark tea in color, nothing
pleasant to look at there.

In my case, I'm not much for pond gazing when it is freezing out. Since my
deck is straight above the koi ponds, I can see the fish thru the screens
(if no snow) and what are they doing? Sitting on the bottom, doing nothing
much. But with the screens, I have the security of knowing nothing can get
to them, nor will I have to try to pull blown leaves (from neighbors who
don't pick them up) out of the ponds when it is only 33F out and disturbing
sleeping fish. ;-) I like my winter stress free, for both myself and my
fish. In addition, the screens actually help hold in some heat, especially
if we have snow, I get an igloo affect, no ice, even in freezing temps.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us
Zone 7a, SE Washington State