Old 11-11-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Paying for the moderation software for RPM

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:14:17 CST, Kurt wrote:

Were these good ponders gone bad? ;-)

Or showing their true colors from the comforts of their closets? ;-)

Coincidence that RP is being flooded today? Makes me wonder if they're
still seeing RPM as a threat that we might go back there. Some people have
too much time on their hands. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

It's only those same two posters who cross-post spam to many unrelated
Usenet groups. The problem is when everyone feels the need to respond to
them, and cross-post back across a million groups. They've most likely
never actually been to rec.ponds.

I forgot that I have them kill-filed out of all my other groups- been
that long since I've seen one of their posts.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article . com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

I am not sure what happened. If you review the posts after about
2005, you get a very quick idea of the hostilities and where they were
focused. Others could probably describe it to you. Speaking for
myself, I love having a group that is without the rancor of the
trolled rec.ponds. It feels rather like the old days before the
trolls. I thought they would quit when folks did not respond. Not
so. I thought they would tire. Not so. The goal was very much to
destroy the group. That brought the attacking of everything.

Jim

"BC" has probably never even been to rec.ponds, and neither have all
those who jumped in the fray to respond. It's all from cross-posting, so
you're not seeing anything personally directed to that group. The idea
is to inflame multiple groups.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:04:18 CST, Kurt wrote:

It's only those same two posters who cross-post spam to many unrelated
Usenet groups. The problem is when everyone feels the need to respond to
them, and cross-post back across a million groups. They've most likely
never actually been to rec.ponds.

Not from my perspective, the flooding looks like (but isn't) all different
people, made up, I assume. So no kill-file in the world could stop it to my
knowledge.

I forgot that I have them kill-filed out of all my other groups- been
that long since I've seen one of their posts.

You must have one heck of a kill-file to catch all the different made up
nyms & e-mail addresses.

I personally am real happy to no longer need the use of a kill-file to read
our ponding group. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-11-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:05:06 CST, Kurt wrote:

"BC" has probably never even been to rec.ponds, and neither have all
those who jumped in the fray to respond. It's all from cross-posting, so
you're not seeing anything personally directed to that group. The idea
is to inflame multiple groups.

BC came after RP died. BC was not the reason we gave up on RP. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-11-2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Actually, the destruction of RP was instigated by one person who brought the horror
to the group by crossposting (or was followed to the group). That person was central
in destroying the first goldfish email lists years ago.

An unmoderated RP will never recover as long as that person has access to the
internet. No amount of killfiling will work. Only moderation saves this group from
a similar fate.

Ingrid

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:23:24 CST, Kurt wrote:
I've never heard of such ferocious and consistant attacks on a group
that, in theory, should lack any sort of controversy, and I've been in
some pretty wild ones.

Old 13-11-2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message

I shy away from PCs, so I use the excellent MTNewswatcher on our Macs.

======================
A lot of people on rec.ponds at the time had no idea how to use a killfile.
But as was explained that doesn't work when the trolls are using other
poster's names and email addresses and software that flooded the group with
thousands of posts a day. Some of those posts were so profane and depraved
they alone drove people away. As long as the posters who wouldn't do what
he demanded of them, and I myself remain on these pond groups, the troll who
destroyed rec.ponds will keep up his attacks on that group.

The first Goldfish list died when the man known as "Sillybug" who ran it
lost interest in the list and there was no one else to take it over. We
also had a poster constantly spamming the list who people were objecting to.
He simply lost interest and moved on. At the time he abandoned the list we
were getting as many as 75 to 150 messages a day.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-11-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Still at $295 toward moderation software

Old 13-11-2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:33:40 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

We are at $295 out of the $360 it takes to use the moderation software
next year.

I originally guessed we should have at least 36 of us willing to share
this expense.
May I ask how many contributors we have?
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 14-11-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hal wrote:
wrote:
[ . . . ]
May I ask how many contributors we have?

And may I ask when we have to pay the piper?

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 14-11-2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Paul has proposed an alternative moderation scheme. If we find it
helpful, that would affect our renewal time. We started in March and,
I assume, will need to renew in Feb or March. That should give us
time to work out the best approach to moderation.

Jim

Old 14-11-2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We have 15 contributors on the chipin page. We also have two checks.
The total is now at $395!

Jim

Old 14-11-2007, 04:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:56:33 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

We have 15 contributors on the chipin page. We also have two checks.
The total is now at $395!

Jim

Ding, Ding, Ding! (That's the winning bell ringing.) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-11-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default We did it! $395 contributed by 17 members toward moderation software

We now have $395 conributed by 17 persons toward the moderation
software. We need only $360 and may be able to obtain services for
even less. Well done.

Rate This Thread: