Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-12-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Great Blue Heron - How Big of Fish Will They Eat?

That's how my neighbor lost 2 Koi.
Speared them and then dropped them.

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
JB wrote:

OK, this is becoming a daily occurrence, a GBH flying up and perching on
tree limb high above the pond or strolling around the pond perimeter. No
real danger now because the pond is covered with netting and the fish are
resting comfortably on the bottom of the pond. My 3,000 gallon pond is
18"
at it's shallowest but I'm guessing that any fish in this range is a
tempting target for the GBH. Here's my question: How big a fish will the
GBH eat? I have three Koi that will go over 10 lbs each, surely they
aren't at risk, are they?

Herons don't seem capable of telling how big a fish they can manager.
They
have been known to skewer some pretty big fish (though 10lbs sounds bigger
than anything I've heard of) and leave them dieing beside the pond when
they realize they can't fly off with them.
--
derek

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Great Blue Heron Dan Spalluto Ponds (moderated) 10 16-10-2009 01:31 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 9 13-09-2004 02:33 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 2 01-07-2004 07:02 PM