Old 05-02-2008, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Building a small pond

You guys have got me wondering about our system. The hyacinth and
celery still grow wildly in the veggie filters. Maybe our water is
bad. I will have to take a look at the quality anew once things start
growing.

Jim

Old 05-02-2008, 09:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

BTW, the water celery in my "inside the pond under the plastic" is doing fine. the
watercress I put in died. Ingrid

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:53:30 CST, wrote:

try water celery.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

my water celery and cyperus doesnt take up much of my small veggie filter, but by mid
summer the abundant water celery is starting to get pale. it does respond to high
ammonia as I found out with Jo Ann's pond. Ingrid

Old 06-02-2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

You guys have got me wondering about our system. The hyacinth and
celery still grow wildly in the veggie filters. Maybe our water is
bad. I will have to take a look at the quality anew once things start
growing.

I have long endured confusion over water hyacinth growth. My three
ponds were connected, the water flowed from a bottom drain in the 1000
gallon pond to 3 filter barrels, got pumped to a 300 gallon pond and
went over a spillway to a 160 gallon pond in the shade of a gazebo and
back into the 1000 gallon pond. Same water, but the water hyacinths
would grow differently in the 300 gallon pond and the 1000 gallon
pond. Water was moved by an 1800gph pump and I could never figure out
why the hyacinths were more yellow or less green in one pond than the
other. It seemed to me they should get the same amount of everything
that mattered to a water hyacinth.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 09:15:08 CST, Hal wrote:

I have long endured confusion over water hyacinth growth. My three
ponds were connected, the water flowed from a bottom drain in the 1000
gallon pond to 3 filter barrels, got pumped to a 300 gallon pond and
went over a spillway to a 160 gallon pond in the shade of a gazebo and
back into the 1000 gallon pond. Same water, but the water hyacinths
would grow differently in the 300 gallon pond and the 1000 gallon
pond. Water was moved by an 1800gph pump and I could never figure out
why the hyacinths were more yellow or less green in one pond than the
other. It seemed to me they should get the same amount of everything
that mattered to a water hyacinth.

Which pond were they yellow in? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:45:22 CST, ~ jan wrote:

Which pond were they yellow in? ~ jan

They seemed to take turns on which pond they would turn more yellow in
this year. I could never see a constant in their growth or lack of
it, except 15-30-15 fertilizer would make a difference.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 08-02-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:38:49 CST, Hal wrote:

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:45:22 CST, ~ jan wrote:

Which pond were they yellow in? ~ jan

They seemed to take turns on which pond they would turn more yellow in
this year. I could never see a constant in their growth or lack of
it, except 15-30-15 fertilizer would make a difference.

Oh.... I was going to say if more yellow in the fish pond perhaps it was
root pruning by the fish. There goes that guess. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: