Old 13-02-2008, 05:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Getting rid of fish

well, besides enjoying my pond , I am a Sushi fanatic (does that make me
a cannibal ? *smile*)....guess that's one way to get rid of the fish.

Old 13-02-2008, 05:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi all,

Perhaps somewhat tangential here, but within the subject line - how does one
get rid of fish? Our gold fish are reproducing at what for us is astonishing
rates. I would think that in another six months, we will need to cull them.

The term cull is used loosely here as we rescue rabbits from the animal
shelters, "save" bees that get into the swimming pool, catch and release
spiders found in the house, etc.

I thought about netting them and releasing them into a lake (we are in
SoCal), but that could be a mess. I thought about contacting PetCo and
seeing if they would take them for resale (I don't like the idea of them
being used as feed, though).

I really don't know - what is the humane way to deal with fish
overpopulation? Thank you.

best,

doug

Old 13-02-2008, 01:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

May your break from ponds be as restful as your initial ponding seems
to have been.

Phyllis

Old 13-02-2008, 05:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

old dirtbeard wrote:

I thought about netting them and releasing them into a lake (we are in
SoCal), but that could be a mess. I thought about contacting PetCo and
seeing if they would take them for resale (I don't like the idea of them
being used as feed, though).

Not to mention illegal and environmentally unsound.

If you live in so cal, go to your local county vector control agency and get
some mosquito fish. In the past three years we have had two only shibunkins
make it to adulthood. The rest were eaten by the mosquito fish.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 13-02-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Feb 13, 12:04 am, "old dirtbeard" wrote:
Hi all,

Perhaps somewhat tangential here, but within the subject line - how does one
get rid of fish? Our gold fish are reproducing at what for us is astonishing
rates. I would think that in another six months, we will need to cull them.

The term cull is used loosely here as we rescue rabbits from the animal
shelters, "save" bees that get into the swimming pool, catch and release
spiders found in the house, etc.

I thought about netting them and releasing them into a lake (we are in
SoCal), but that could be a mess. I thought about contacting PetCo and
seeing if they would take them for resale (I don't like the idea of them
being used as feed, though).

I really don't know - what is the humane way to deal with fish
overpopulation? Thank you.

best,

doug

I bartered fish for products with local Agway dealer here in DE one
year.
RM sorry it is time to quit the koi ponding, but I understand the work
that can be too much.
As for the snapping turtles can you say Terrapin Soup??? and nope,
I'm not volunteering to catch and kill for ya!! Maybe you could grow
your own escargot???
Good luck with your retirement, DH retired 18 mos ago and it is
wonderful. We are doing more with the yard each year. Our pond is
needing some work with the filtration right now, but we have some
ideas as to easier ways to do it. Our home made filtration surely
isn't state of the arts by any means, but had kept the koi healthy if
not always visible due to algae since uv light died. If it gets to be
too much, or when it gets to be too much it willo get filled in and
planted with no9 regret for the happiness we've had from it. Son
inlaw's brother had a koi pond so he can have fish and give away the
ones he doesn't want. None of em are really good koi, and we're ok
with that. We quit buying good fish when they kept dying and the
cheaper ones didn't. They look pretty to the untrained eye.
Happy 'no' ponding, enjoy your retirement.
Nan in DE

Old 14-02-2008, 04:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I built a pond for my koi. It has straight sides built using a stud wall, a veggie
filter that stacks over the pond and a single shelf for getting into the pond that
holds a single but large water lily. I have 22 or so koi and not a single fry
anywhere. Jo Ann says I got females with eggs, but I really dont see any of my
females getting bashed during spawning. My pond is very maintenance free.
INgrid

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:34:19 CST, Chip wrote:
Whoa--- I have just retired and decided that I want to convert my pool
into a natural fish pond so I can save the work of pool maintainance.
What am I missing here? Many books, articles,and people on this list
say that with proper design, pumps, and veggie filters a pond is
virtually maintainance free. Something doesn't jive. As I live in
Phoenix, there is no winter, just spring and HOT summer. Will that make
it harder or easier to maintain?

Old 14-02-2008, 04:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
May your break from ponds be as restful as your initial ponding seems
to have been.

Phyllis

===========================
Maybe that's what we need. A "break" after all these years. A vacation from
ponding. There were many enjoyable moments..... :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-02-2008, 04:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:37:10 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

That's similar to what our neighbor with the 6000 pond has. It's some kind
of stone/pebble filled huge monster of a filter that self flushes. But
they're wealthy and bought the best of everything. Price was no deterrent.
Draining down their pond is not the job it is for us because they're in
their 40s and have 2 strong young sons to help.

If one really wanted to go the easy route, one could put a bottom drain in
the pond so it flows to waste. No filter, lots of plants, few fish. Every
couple of years, remove the few fish, open the drain and rinse. Fill up and
start again.

I don't see my ponds being that hard or that much work, (but ask me in 10
years when I'm in my mid-60's. ;-) Now the demon pond, where I had to haul
my equipment to, and do the job when few of the public were out and
about... now that was a job. Still... it was only every month. I did it for
7 years, and now I'm done, so doing just my own this summer will be a
breeze. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-02-2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Jerseyj" wrote in message
well, besides enjoying my pond , I am a Sushi fanatic (does that make me
a cannibal ? *smile*)....guess that's one way to get rid of the fish.

==============================
You eat your koi? :-O
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-02-2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:28:36 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

Many of us made mistakes because no one points out all the problems and
things that can go wrong.

Since every pond, ponder, materials, soil are different, I don't think
there is a book out there that could cover it all. Especially not in the
mid-90's. Even if you had known then what you know now, wouldn't you have
still dug the ponds?

I shudder to think what it would cost to hire someone to add these to both
ponds and in such a way they can be netted.

I don't think Phyllis was even suggesting this. While you're mentioning all
the cons of ponding, a few of us are pointing out the pros, and that it can
be done low maintenance and low cost. After all, you've mentioned you're
ready to pull off the nets, sell the fish, and go the lazy ponder way that
Kathy enjoys. ;-) No one here is trying to sway you not to.

I never dreamed there would be so much maintenance
involved. Then, once the koi started to breed the maintenance increased.
There is no other way to remove fry than do a draindown and net them out. A
dirty smelly all day job as I mentioned before.

And I don't think anyone here is trying to talk you out of retiring from
these chores. They're just stating their experiences. I know I dug my first
pond in 1995, a year earlier than yourself and haven't had a 5th of the
problems you've had. So everyone/pond and experiences thereof, are often
quite different. ~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-02-2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Olde Hippee" wrote in message
RM sorry it is time to quit the koi ponding, but I understand the work
that can be too much.
As for the snapping turtles can you say Terrapin Soup??? and nope,
I'm not volunteering to catch and kill for ya!! Maybe you could grow
your own escargot???

These snappers are wicked and smell foul. Some locals call them "stink
pots." I had to remove several by myself over the years. One weighed 14 lbs.
I'm not into turtle soup - UGH!

Good luck with your retirement, DH retired 18 mos ago and it is
wonderful. We are doing more with the yard each year. Our pond is
needing some work with the filtration right now, but we have some
ideas as to easier ways to do it. Our home made filtration surely
isn't state of the arts by any means, but had kept the koi healthy if
not always visible due to algae since uv light died. If it gets to be
too much, or when it gets to be too much it willo get filled in and
planted with no9 regret for the happiness we've had from it.

I've gotten many years of pleasure and fun from these ponds. I'm glad I
experienced it, but it's just too much work and it's now getting dangerous
for us. Too many water snakes, too easy to slip and fall again on a slimy
liner.... we want less work in our older years and more "fun" stuff. The
grandkids are now in HS so have no more interest in ponds and fish.

Son
inlaw's brother had a koi pond so he can have fish and give away the
ones he doesn't want. None of em are really good koi, and we're ok
with that. We quit buying good fish when they kept dying and the
cheaper ones didn't. They look pretty to the untrained eye.
Happy 'no' ponding, enjoy your retirement.
Nan in DE

Thanks Nan. I can't wait until he's fully retired. He's been semi-retired
for the past year and I love having him around. He only has a few more
months to go.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-02-2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message
et...
Hi all,

Perhaps somewhat tangential here, but within the subject line - how does
one get rid of fish? Our gold fish are reproducing at what for us is
astonishing rates. I would think that in another six months, we will need
to cull them.

You can try selling them, giving them away, asking a farmer if you can put
them in his stock pond, trading them at the local Pet store or in
desperation, putting them to sleep.

The term cull is used loosely here as we rescue rabbits from the animal
shelters, "save" bees that get into the swimming pool, catch and release
spiders found in the house, etc.
I thought about netting them and releasing them into a lake (we are in
SoCal), but that could be a mess. I thought about contacting PetCo and
seeing if they would take them for resale (I don't like the idea of them
being used as feed, though).

If it's a man made lake it may be legal.

I really don't know - what is the humane way to deal with fish
overpopulation? Thank you.

Since we live in a rural area I've been able to find stock ponds on farms.
But even that outlet is getting rare as farms quickly turn into
subdivisions, Malls and Wally World stores. I have a couple of hundred GF
and koi here I need to find home for.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-02-2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:04:08 CST, "old dirtbeard"
wrote:

Perhaps somewhat tangential here, but within the subject line - how does one
get rid of fish? Our gold fish are reproducing at what for us is astonishing
rates. I would think that in another six months, we will need to cull them.

I have an e-mail list over 200 strong, and when people have fish to sale or
give away (even the common goldfish) someone always wants them. I
personally stick to the more uncommon goldfish, much easier to sell or
trade with the local fish store for credit.

I thought about netting them and releasing them into a lake (we are in
SoCal), but that could be a mess.

Highly illegal, and in California probably punishable by death,
imprisonment & fines, and probably in that order. ;-)

I thought about contacting PetCo

To my knowledge neither PetCo or PetsMart will take "used" fish. Look for a
petstore that isn't a chain, they're usually real good about taking
hobbyist's extras.

Ideally though, if they're just common goldfish, as someone suggested,
mosquito fish will take care of the eggs and you won't have a fry problem.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-02-2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
I thought about netting them and releasing them into a lake (we are in
SoCal), but that could be a mess.

Highly illegal, and in California probably punishable by death,
imprisonment & fines, and probably in that order. ;-)

I wonder if "releasing" them would be still be illegal if done one at a
time, using a hook and fishing line?

*evil grin*

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Old 14-02-2008, 08:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

natural birth control = orfes

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Getting Rid of Thrips Shiva Roses 8 08-04-2003 02:32 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Getting rid of ivy Karen C Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
getting rid of vines Elizabeth Jones Gardening 2 19-03-2003 03:44 PM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM