Old 18-10-2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Status of the pond season

Last weekend I covered the lily pond and turned off and cleaned the filter.
Koi pond's filter was put in partial winter mode, still using big pump, but
throttled a bit. Today the rest of the plants will be trimmed in there and
the koi ponds will be screened, so goes the season.

Taro under the cover of the deck, and will remain there until it looks to
be freezing cold weather then they'll be brought inside. I need to clean up
the garden and dig in the bonsai.... so goes the season.

But then I can soon relax, with a hot tea and a fire.... so comes the
season. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 19-10-2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Im now wondering what preperations I need to do with my pond. I have a
basic 3200 gal pond, a few koi and a filter leading to a water fall. I
think I need to redirect the water from the filter so it doesn't go to
the water fall but go directly back to the pond. I do know to stop
feeding them once the water temp is 55 degrees or so..
what else am I missing?

Old 19-10-2008, 03:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What kind of filter are you using? If you rely on a biological filtration
then you don't need to cut off the flow of water through it entirely; you'll
lose your bacteria bed if you do. What about leaves? Got any trees around?
If so, you'll benefit from having some netting over your pond to catch them.

. ..

Old 19-10-2008, 07:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 19:51:58 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:

Im now wondering what preperations I need to do with my pond. I have a
basic 3200 gal pond, a few koi and a filter leading to a water fall. I
think I need to redirect the water from the filter so it doesn't go to
the water fall but go directly back to the pond. I do know to stop
feeding them once the water temp is 55 degrees or so..
what else am I missing?

Like JB mentioned LEAVES. Even with the removal of our big maple I have a
wisteria next to the pond and even with a skimmer a lot can end up on the
bottom. Most made it into the bottom drain... but I still pulled a few
leaves up in the shop vac before I put the screens down.

All covered now and ready for winter. s ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-10-2008, 11:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

you need an aerator. and if you have freezing weather some kind of heater to keep a
hole open. I cover my pond and heat it with a 500 watt submersible. it stays at or
above 50oF most of the winter and I continue to feed the fish all winter small
amounts and not every day. I just dont have enough veggie filter to keep up with
much wastes. Ingrid

Old 20-10-2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JB wrote:
What kind of filter are you using? If you rely on a biological filtration
then you don't need to cut off the flow of water through it entirely; you'll
lose your bacteria bed if you do. What about leaves? Got any trees around?
If so, you'll benefit from having some netting over your pond to catch them.

I placed a net over the pond to catch the leaves sometime last week, I
also have a Bio filter so I know to keep the water flowing, I do need to
close the water fall. The pond is 40" in the center so it won't totally
freeze.

Rate This Thread: