Old 28-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Default calcuim bentonite

I bought some calcium bentonite yesterday.
I have green water in my pond and it won't clear.
Its been up and running since March.
15x15 4ft deep.
About 9 Koi of various sizes, none bigger than 13 inchs.
It has 3 bottomdrains witch goes into a 4x10 4ft settlement/filter pond.
My pump is a Sequence External Self Priming Series 1500 - 5400 G.P.H 1/3 HP
The out take is a Venturi into the pond. I do have a small pipe also that
leads into a small veggie filter.
Water test shows.
Nitrite 0
Ammonia is 0
PH is between 7.0 and 7.5
I have a good bit of water lettuce and hyancits but no lillies.
I don't think lillies will grow that deep in water.
I live on the coast of Ga. and bird predators are many here.
My previous pond even with netting on the predator birds would stand on
plant shelves and pick out my fish.
So with this pond I didn't make shelves and haven't had any problems with
predators. But now its green water.
It gets really hot here also. My set up is just like a friend of mine and
his pond is crystal clear and he has a lot more Koi. Alot bigger also.
The only difference is he has no trees in his yard and I do.
Should I let the pond be and wait it out? Seems like water would clear by
now though.
Or use the calcium bentonite and if I do, how do I use it?
Thanks,
Priss

Old 28-07-2005, 02:46 PM
George

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
[...]

Others have said that bentonite works. I only use it for planting water
plants, so I couldn't tell you if it works for that purpose. Perhaps you
need to have a large veggie filter. How often do you clean out your
settlement filter? What are your nitrate levels? You could add Aquazyme
according to directions and see if it solves your problem. It works
wonders for me. If you use Aquazyme, give it about a month to work. And
remembers, these things do take time, so have patience.

Old 28-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Nitrite is 0.
PH is 7.5
I just cleaned my settlement and filters out 2 weeks ago.
I've cleaned them twice since March.
I can't find Aquazyme here.
I have rode all over looking for it.
I know the guy at the pond store said my holds about 9,000 gals of water.

Old 28-07-2005, 07:02 PM
George

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
Nitrite is 0.

What is your nitrate level, not your nitrite level?

PH is 7.5
I just cleaned my settlement and filters out 2 weeks ago.
I've cleaned them twice since March.
I can't find Aquazyme here.
I have rode all over looking for it.
I know the guy at the pond store said my holds about 9,000 gals of water.

You can order it online. Twelve ounces treats 10,000 gallons:

http://doityourself.com/store/u388850.htm

Old 28-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Humm, my pond kit don't have a nitrate test.
Its just the 3 I mentioned plus salt, I don't use salt unless fish look
sick.
Priss

Old 28-07-2005, 10:49 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:11:37 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough" wrote:

Nitrite is 0.
PH is 7.5
I just cleaned my settlement and filters out 2 weeks ago.
I've cleaned them twice since March.
I can't find Aquazyme here.
I have rode all over looking for it.
I know the guy at the pond store said my holds about 9,000 gals of water.

Even if you had a nitrAte kit, you would rarely get a reading from a
hobbyist's type test, not with green water.

I'd like to know what your KH is, I'm wondering if your water is so soft it
is why the algae is flourishing? This can also make the filter bacteria not
work at optimum.

What kind of filter media and how much?

How often and how much do you feed the fish?

Are the water hyacinths growing and multiplying, dark green?

How often and how much water change outs do you do? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 28-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Gareee©

wrote:

I'd like to know what your KH is, I'm wondering if your water is so soft
it
is why the algae is flourishing? This can also make the filter bacteria
not
work at optimum.

Interesting.. our water here is VERY soft.. as a matter of fact, we can't
use full amount of dish washer soap or washing machine soap for fear of the
suds coming out.

What effect does it have on ponds?

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 29-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Courageous

I have green water in my pond and it won't clear.

It's often at points like this, once basic healthy water
chemistry has been established, that people often break
down and get a UV filter.

Should I let the pond be and wait it out?

How long has it been?

Or use the calcium bentonite and if I do, how do I use it?

Stuff is very safe, hard to abuse, no real reason not to use.

Someone else will have to suggest a dose though.

Knowing what I know about it, /I/ would probably just toss
a whole bunch in...

C//

Old 29-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Priscilla McCullough

Jan, my water is very soft. We have a water softener/purification outside
that all our liners goes through.
I will go into town tomorrow and see about getting a KH test.
I have two rolls of washable filter media in the settlement pond. Its
Coarse, 1.5" thickness, 28" x 7 yds.
I feed twice a day, once in morning once in evening.
Usually at evening I give them frozen watermelon and peas/shrimp. Its been
really hot here.
The hyacinths hasn't done well this year, but the lettuce is. Albeit they
have brunt edges since its been near 100 or 100 the past month.
I haven't done any water changes except when I drained the settlement
chamber twice since March.
We have afternoon showers about once a week, then I add some water if pond
starts getting low from evaporation.
Thanks for trying to help.
Priss

Old 29-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Bette E

I had green water for weeks on end, early in the summer, so I bought
some too.

I used it and the water was crystal clear in less than a week-- (follow
the instructions on the pkg.) You use so little, that I consider it a
bargain.

As for water lilies, set them on top of milk crates--

Bette, in Central OH

Old 29-07-2005, 02:45 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Interesting.. our water here is VERY soft.. as a matter of fact, we can't
use full amount of dish washer soap or washing machine soap for fear of the
suds coming out.

What effect does it have on ponds?

Well it depends on if we're talking General Hardness or Alkalinity. When I
say KH (what they have on the test box) I want to know the
Alkalinity/buffering # ppm. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 29-07-2005, 02:52 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Jan, my water is very soft. We have a water softener/purification outside
that all our liners goes through.
I will go into town tomorrow and see about getting a KH test.
I have two rolls of washable filter media in the settlement pond. Its
Coarse, 1.5" thickness, 28" x 7 yds.
I feed twice a day, once in morning once in evening.
Usually at evening I give them frozen watermelon and peas/shrimp. Its been
really hot here.
The hyacinths hasn't done well this year, but the lettuce is. Albeit they
have brunt edges since its been near 100 or 100 the past month.
I haven't done any water changes except when I drained the settlement
chamber twice since March.
We have afternoon showers about once a week, then I add some water if pond
starts getting low from evaporation.
Thanks for trying to help.
Priss

That KH number will help a lot.

I do know when others have posted, in the past, that they have hose water
that goes thru a water softener, they've been told to by-pass it if
possible. Those doing the telling were more expert in water chemistry than
I.

Do you know why your outside water goes thru this purification/softener
system? I'm really thinking this may be your problem. Because otherwise, it
sure sounds like you're doing everything right (except water changes which
doesn't matter currently considering the water source). If there is no way
to by-pass you will need a KH test and we can tell you how much BS to add,
etc. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 29-07-2005, 03:46 AM
George

wrote:

Nitrite is 0.
PH is 7.5
I just cleaned my settlement and filters out 2 weeks ago.
I've cleaned them twice since March.
I can't find Aquazyme here.
I have rode all over looking for it.
I know the guy at the pond store said my holds about 9,000 gals of water.

Even if you had a nitrAte kit, you would rarely get a reading from a
hobbyist's type test, not with green water.

What kit are you using? The kit I use doesn't have a problem getting a
reading from water containing nitrates, regardless of whether or not the
water is green. If the green color affects the colorometric readings, or
if the reading is off the high end of the scale you can always dilute the
sample and change the result proportionately (of course, if it is off the
high end of the scale, then you already know there is a seriously nitrate
problem). I have no idea what makes you say that you can't get a reading
with a regular nitrate kit, Jan. They've been standardized for many years.

I'd like to know what your KH is, I'm wondering if your water is so soft
it
is why the algae is flourishing? This can also make the filter bacteria
not
work at optimum.

What kind of filter media and how much?

How often and how much do you feed the fish?

Are the water hyacinths growing and multiplying, dark green?

How often and how much water change outs do you do? ~ jan

It's a 9,000 gallon pond. She should rarely, if ever, have to do water
changes. Additions, yes. Changes, only if there is something dreadfully
wrong.

Old 29-07-2005, 03:53 AM
George

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Interesting.. our water here is VERY soft.. as a matter of fact, we
can't
use full amount of dish washer soap or washing machine soap for fear of
the
suds coming out.

What effect does it have on ponds?

Well it depends on if we're talking General Hardness or Alkalinity. When
say KH (what they have on the test box) I want to know the
Alkalinity/buffering # ppm. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Just to make it more clear (or not):

kH is carbonate hardness, which is the measurement of the capacity for
water to neurtralize acid, is also known as buffering capacity. For
standard pond situations where the pH is between 6 and 8.2, carbonate
hardness generally reflects actual alkalinity.

General hardness is a measure of all the dissolved salts in the water.
These salts are principally composed of calcium and magnesium. General
hardness is usually referred to as total hardness.

Old 29-07-2005, 04:05 AM
George

[...]

I would bypass the water softner for your outside faucets, because you are
just throwing away expensive soft water, and it does the fish no good.
Also, and I think this is really most important in your case (and some will
argue with me on this, but I don't care because I've raised fish for 35
years), you are feeding your fish too often. If you have a 9,000 gallon
pond, believe me, there should be plenty for the fish to scrounge on. Only
feed them once a day. Let me repeat that - only feed them once a day. I
know some ponders who only feed their fish three or four times per week,
and sometimes even less. The reason is that you are adding too many
nutrients to the pond, and causing the algae bloom. Fish are liars and
will make you think that they are starving when chances are that they are
not. Only feed them what they can eat in a few minutes. Clean up any
uneaten food. Don't let it rot in the pond or drop in the bottom. Make
sure leaves don't sink into the pond, and always trim away dead vegetation
to prevent it from adding to the pond nutrient load. Do these simple
things, and your pond should over time begin to clear up.

Calcuim Carbonate Priscilla McCullough Ponds 3 05-08-2005 04:10 AM
More clay pond help, Bentonite? Nicholas Walker Ponds 2 15-09-2003 01:12 AM
More clay pond help, Bentonite? Nicholas Walker Ponds (alternative) 1 14-09-2003 03:32 PM
Bentonite as a liner? Megan Ponds 1 15-08-2003 11:14 PM
Bentonite blankets dtl Ponds 3 18-05-2003 02:20 AM