Old 24-08-2005, 10:54 PM
JEFF DRESSNER

go to this site, I picked up a 540 gallon per hour pump for 21.95 + shipping
http://www.fountainology.com/outdoor/pond_pumps1.html
"john" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently installed a medium sized preformed pond (~75-100 gallons),
and I would like to add a modest waterfall. Not too tall, say 2 feet at
the most. I would like a reasonable flow, not a trickle but not a
river.

I would like a recomendation on a pump. I'm on a limited budget, but I
do understand the initial cost/power usage relationship, and I don't
want something of low quality.

I'm thinking something in the ballpark of 300-500GPH, $25-75, and 15-75
Watts. But I'm just throwing out some numbers.

Thanks.

Old 24-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Roy

Looks like the model 306 Via Aqua........While I do not have any
actual hands on experieince with them, just reading about various pump
brands that are used in a marine environment, the Via Aqua certainly
gets a big thumbs down, when compared to others like Danner MAg
Drives. They start to rattle excessively and generate more heat
overall than others do....Now that may not be a problem at all in a
outdoor pond, as they are setting in a few feet of water in a rubber
liner or preform, and possibly heat buildup outdoors is not as big an
issue, but in a glass or acrylic sump and building up heat in a salt
water tank they certainly do not cut it........nor have their life
epxectancy seem to be all that long when run 24/7....Even the Via
Aqua power heads have a bad rep..However for the price if they do what
they say it does, there is some good prices on these pumps. I may even
order a VA4900 for a dewatering pump for my holding tanks and give it
a try.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:54:02 GMT, "JEFF DRESSNER"
wrote:

===http://www.fountainology.com/outdoor/pond_pumps1.html

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 25-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Gareee©" wrote in message

** Have you checked to see where your nearest Pond Club meets? You will
get more free plants from members than you can use. :-) Been there -
done that. Plus I give loads away every year. I sell some to a pond
store about 25 miles from here. Occasionally some end up in the compost
pile.

I don't know that we even have a pond club here.. the city's population is
only 6,000. Even Asheville, a 45 minute highway drive away only has a
population of 60,000 in it's entire county.

(Which is of course why we moved here.. LOL!)

## Good Grief! It's almost as bad as where I'm at in TN. :-))

** Then check another Lowe's and check the Home Depots within driving
distance.

Nearest Lowe's.. 10 minutes away.. next nearest Lowe's... 45-60 minutes
away highway!

## Bummer! I have at least 4 plus several Home Depot's within a 30 to 40
minute drive.

Only home depot is 45 minutes away highway, and they had nothing to speak
of this year. Lowe's got 2 shipments of pond plants.. the first was
decent, but 3 of the 7 plants I bought died. The second batch they got
probably exopalined why 1/2 of my first batch died.. they were shipped and
arrived with no water at ALL in the containers! And after 2 days, they
tossed the shipment away, and didn't reorder for the year.

## What a waste. Lowe's had pond plants this year and they were all in bad
shape. Not only were they already half dead but they wanted $9.99 for them.

Also check Wal*Mart! I've found some really good pond plants there for
less than anywhere else. Watch them in the early spring when they first
come in. Get them then before they allow them to dry out and die. Check
your nearest towns and cities for pond stores and aquarium stores. Many
aquarium stores carry pond plants (and fish) in the spring.

Our walmart will get the dry pond baskets in, and we've bought two of
those, but one of the lillies has yet to even get a flower after 2 years..
the one we bought live from lowe's has had about 20-30 blooms this year
alone, in only 4 month's time.

## Sorry about that. I've had great success with lilies from Home Depot and
Wal*Mart. I don't think I ever bought any lilies as Lowe's. Last spring I
a few water lilies from Wally World for $4.88 in those small pots. Each pot
also included some rocks and 2 fertilizer tabs. One of these lilies was a
changeable MINIATURE! Boy was I thrilled out of my skull. It had 3 to 6
peachy-orange-pinkish flowers all summer long. This year the same except I
divided it into 3 plants. :-)

** Have you ever ordered online? That may be your only option if you're
100 or more miles from any town.

I've ordered some plants online, but to get 1/2 coverage on my pond, I'll
be ordering $100 bucks worth of something like water lettuce every year.
Not a practical option from a cost standpoint.

** You need regular hardy pond plants. The floaters are tropical and die
after a good frosty night.

** This is happening with my 2000 gallon pond now. It's all part of
nature.

Oh, I know the whys and wherefores after lurking here for over a year, but
I'd like to be able to enjoy the fish for a few months out of the year.

** I hear you. Mine algae blooms don't get so dark that I can't see the
fish. The pea-soup stage usually hits in the spring then recedes for the
summer with only occasional light blooms when it's sunny and real hot.

Plus the wife is tired of not being able to see the fish, and doesn't care
what solution corrects the problem. A Uv is the last resort, if I have to
turn to it.

** They do work! I have two but don't use them any more.

Muffin's WL this week might put the pond over the edge, and clear up the
green for a while.

** Water lettuce and hyacinth are heavy feeders and do help clear the water.
Add 1 Tbs. of Potash per 1000 gallons so they can soak up the nitrates and
phosphates. The algae will starve.....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 25-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Gareee©" wrote in message
I noticed some of the uv filters are 4 ft long.. how do you guys hide
them?

===================
I hid mine in the plants along the side of the pond. Ivy and hostas
growing around the rock necklace can hide a lot of stuff. I don't use
them anymore because they're a real PIA to keep clean and it's expensive
to replace the bulbs. Since using Koi-Zyme or Lymno-Zyme we haven't had
any ulcers. Ulcers were the main reason we bought them in the first
place.

Man, I HOPE my pond doesn't give me ulcers!

==========================
LOL!!! :-D Yep,... the koi's ulcers just about gave us ulcers......

Old 25-08-2005, 02:28 AM
Gareee©

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

** Water lettuce and hyacinth are heavy feeders and do help clear the
water. Add 1 Tbs. of Potash per 1000 gallons so they can soak up the
nitrates and phosphates. The algae will starve.....

Hmm I'll have to try adding a little potash.

Oh! while I'm at it, I noticed that the lilies blooms will submerge, and
then after a day or so, rot and die.

Can they be "floated" for a longer life?

I'm thinking those small foam spacers that come with bulk blank discs would
be perfect for something like that.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 25-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

** Water lettuce and hyacinth are heavy feeders and do help clear the
water. Add 1 Tbs. of Potash per 1000 gallons so they can soak up the
nitrates and phosphates. The algae will starve.....

Hmm I'll have to try adding a little potash.

* It can be the limiting factor in whether these floaters thrive and starve
the algae.

Oh! while I'm at it, I noticed that the lilies blooms will submerge, and
then after a day or so, rot and die.

* Lily flowers open above the water surface for only a few days. They then
dunk the closed blossom under water where they rot away.

Can they be "floated" for a longer life?

* Not that I know of.

Old 25-08-2005, 04:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Oh! while I'm at it, I noticed that the lilies blooms will submerge, and
then after a day or so, rot and die.

Once they titanic you need to pinch them off at the crown so they don't add
to the bio-load. ~jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 25-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Gareee©

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
"Gareee©" wrote in message
Oh! while I'm at it, I noticed that the lilies blooms will submerge, and
then after a day or so, rot and die.

Once they titanic you need to pinch them off at the crown so they don't
add
to the bio-load. ~jan

Been trying to do that, but many are closer to the pond middle, and are hard
to get to.

Off today to find some potash.

Old 25-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Oh! while I'm at it, I noticed that the lilies blooms will submerge,
and
then after a day or so, rot and die.

Once they titanic you need to pinch them off at the crown so they don't
add
to the bio-load. ~jan

Been trying to do that, but many are closer to the pond middle, and are
hard to get to.

Off today to find some potash.

============================
I get mine from a Garden Center that sells these fertilizers individually.
Most stores nearby only carry the already mixed type which we don't use in
ponds.

Old 25-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Gareee©

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

Off today to find some potash.

============================
I get mine from a Garden Center that sells these fertilizers individually.
Most stores nearby only carry the already mixed type which we don't use in
ponds.

Hmmm I'll check lowe's online and walmart online first to see if they even
have a listing.

If not, there's a farmer's supply place down the road a piece, and they
might carry it.

I have been lucky.. the weather's been a bit overcast the last few days, and
we have a stormy weekend ahead... combining that with Muffin's WL might
clear up the pond for a while. (it's looking more brown then green now, a
good sign.) The filter just needs to clear that stuff now.

Old 25-08-2005, 08:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:38:43 -0400, "Gareee©" wrote:

Been trying to do that, but many are closer to the pond middle, and are hard
to get to.

Off today to find some potash.

You might want to look at their long handled pruners. I got a 5 footer made
of aluminum, originally to keep the wisteria pruned, and found it worked
great on the lilies. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 25-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

Off today to find some potash.

============================
I get mine from a Garden Center that sells these fertilizers
individually. Most stores nearby only carry the already mixed type which
we don't use in ponds.

Hmmm I'll check lowe's online and walmart online first to see if they even
have a listing.

## I've never found them there sold separately.

If not, there's a farmer's supply place down the road a piece, and they
might carry it.

## The chances are good they would have it or can order it for you.

I have been lucky.. the weather's been a bit overcast the last few days,
and we have a stormy weekend ahead... combining that with Muffin's WL
might clear up the pond for a while. (it's looking more brown then green
now, a good sign.) The filter just needs to clear that stuff now.

## My 2000 gallon pond was a bit cloudy last night. Today it's crystal
clear - go figure! The 500 gallon tank of koi fry is and always has been
crystal clear, right from day one. All I have in it are 3 water lilies and
some water hyacinth and lettuce.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o
Make sure of which Reel McKoi you're replying to - the TROLL from
alt.religion.jehovahs-witn is using other people's names to bypass
killfiles. There are TWO Reel McKoi's posting here.

Old 26-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Andrew Burgess

Off today to find some potash.

I get mine from a Garden Center that sells these fertilizers individually.
Most stores nearby only carry the already mixed type which we don't use in
ponds.

If not, there's a farmer's supply place down the road a piece, and they
might carry it.

Water softener suppliers carry 40 lb bags of potassium chloride for $15.
40 lbs is a hundred year supply for most people...

Old 26-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
Off today to find some potash.

I get mine from a Garden Center that sells these fertilizers
individually.
Most stores nearby only carry the already mixed type which we don't use
in
ponds.

If not, there's a farmer's supply place down the road a piece, and they
might carry it.

Water softener suppliers carry 40 lb bags of potassium chloride for $15.
40 lbs is a hundred year supply for most people...

Is that the one used for fertilizing gardens?