Old 23-08-2005, 08:54 PM
john

Default waterfall pump for a preformed pond

I recently installed a medium sized preformed pond (~75-100 gallons),
and I would like to add a modest waterfall. Not too tall, say 2 feet at
the most. I would like a reasonable flow, not a trickle but not a
river.

I would like a recomendation on a pump. I'm on a limited budget, but I
do understand the initial cost/power usage relationship, and I don't
want something of low quality.

I'm thinking something in the ballpark of 300-500GPH, $25-75, and 15-75
Watts. But I'm just throwing out some numbers.

Thanks.

Old 23-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Reel Mckoi

"john" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently installed a medium sized preformed pond (~75-100 gallons),
and I would like to add a modest waterfall. Not too tall, say 2 feet at
the most. I would like a reasonable flow, not a trickle but not a
river.

I would like a recomendation on a pump. I'm on a limited budget, but I
do understand the initial cost/power usage relationship, and I don't
want something of low quality.

I'm thinking something in the ballpark of 300-500GPH, $25-75, and 15-75
Watts. But I'm just throwing out some numbers.

=========================
That's about what you can expect to pay for a pump - around $65 for one in
the 500 gph range at your local Home Depot.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 23-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Roy

I would go the extra mile and order a decent energy efficient pump
from an online source and stay away from the pumps typically sold at
big box stores, which usually carry Little Giant, Sunterra and
Beckett. A pump in that range made by Danner, called the MAg Drive
would be a number 5 pump0 but I would go bigger as its easy to
restrict flow and have more than you need than be at a minimum with a
smaller pump....If it was my setup I would go with a Mag Drive 7 as a
minimum or no more than a 9.5 Mag Drive........Both of which will fall
in the wattage area and can be had for about $75 for ther 9.5
size.......The Size 5 is rated at 500 gph but at 2 feet of heat that
is going to reduce flow somewhat.

Checkout AZ ponds or most any online site, most all the better ones
will sell Danner MAg Drive pumps.......Trust me you can not get too
much and there may be a time yu really need a bit more flow than
utilizing a minimum flow pump. The MAg Drives from size 5 on up can be
submerged or run externally so you have more options with them as well
as far as install. They carry a no questions asked 3 year warranty and
they do stand by their product hassle free.

On 23 Aug 2005 12:54:44 -0700, "john"
wrote:

===I recently installed a medium sized preformed pond (~75-100 gallons),
===and I would like to add a modest waterfall. Not too tall, say 2 feet at
===the most. I would like a reasonable flow, not a trickle but not a
===river.
===
===I would like a recomendation on a pump. I'm on a limited budget, but I
===do understand the initial cost/power usage relationship, and I don't
===want something of low quality.
===
===I'm thinking something in the ballpark of 300-500GPH, $25-75, and 15-75
===Watts. But I'm just throwing out some numbers.
===
===Thanks.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 23-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Gareee©

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

I'm looking at adding a small upper stream/waterfall as well, Roy. The lift
will probably be 3-4 feet from the pond surface, but the outlet for the pump
will probably be about 12 feet or so away from the pond.. would a 5 or 9 be
in order for that?

BTW googled them, and found this page.. are the prices good for those pumps?
(Haven't checked shipping on them yet.)

Other option I was considering was a uv filter/pump combo, since I have a
lot of sunlight, and have difficulty getting enough plants in the pond to
retard the greenwater.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 24-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Roy

Checkout the specs.........Depending on the exact run and height, I
sort of doubt a 5 or 7 is gonna be the one for that feature, probably
a 9.5 as a minimum or better yet a 12, still under a 100 bucks

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_....asp?ast=&key=

One thing I noticed on this website with the specs etc, it says mag
drive not recomended for external use...but all of my pumps from thre
5 up to my 18 all plainlaya state in the instructins and product
papers they can be used submersed or external. I have had a 5 and a 7
running external now for over a year 24/7 without a problem. I just
ordered two more 12's for my salt water reef tank, one of which will
be external. I have found one site that I should have book marked
that had the lowest priceson DAnners yet. I found it after I ordered
my last two, so I'm still looking for it, and will post it if I ever
find it. I have been buying from the folks at the above link for some
time now as their prices are inline with most others. The website
listed below will show you flow and shutoff rates. AZ ponds has free
shipping on Mag Drives right now so they would be cheaper by far.

wrote:

et...

Old 24-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Gareee©

"Roy" wrote in message

AZ ponds has free
shipping on Mag Drives right now so they would be cheaper by far.

I'm looking there, but don't see the danners under internal or external pond
pumps. I'll keep checking.

Would it be better to use a splitter, and use the mag to drive water through
a uv filter, and the stream/falls separately?

I noticed some of the uv filters are 4 ft long.. how do you guys hide them?

Old 24-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Gareee© wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message

AZ ponds has free
shipping on Mag Drives right now so they would be cheaper by far.

I'm looking there, but don't see the danners under internal or external
pond pumps. I'll keep checking.

Danner is the manufacturer, and it's not often clearly noted. Look for
"Supreme"

Would it be better to use a splitter, and use the mag to drive water
through a uv filter, and the stream/falls separately?

I noticed some of the uv filters are 4 ft long.. how do you guys hide
them?

Turn them off and they hide in the green water :-)

I just can't see the point of a UV clarifier (it's not a filter). Good
housekeeping will keep a pond clear _enough_. Even less would I consider
UV for a preformed pond - it's just overkill (literally).
--
derek
Old 24-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Gareee©

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Gareee© wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message

AZ ponds has free
shipping on Mag Drives right now so they would be cheaper by far.

I'm looking there, but don't see the danners under internal or external
pond pumps. I'll keep checking.

Danner is the manufacturer, and it's not often clearly noted. Look for
"Supreme"

Will do.

Would it be better to use a splitter, and use the mag to drive water
through a uv filter, and the stream/falls separately?

I noticed some of the uv filters are 4 ft long.. how do you guys hide
them?

Turn them off and they hide in the green water :-)

I just can't see the point of a UV clarifier (it's not a filter). Good
housekeeping will keep a pond clear _enough_. Even less would I consider
UV for a preformed pond - it's just overkill (literally).

I don't have a preformed, I have a liner pond, 12x13x3-4 feet deep. The
problem is I can;t seem to find local supplies of pond plants to get a good
surface coverage. (I'm in the boon docks) I'd say other then my iria and
lillies, 100% of my surface coverage is because of the generosity of group
members, and I can only really take advantage of that once others have
surplus plants.

My pond gets about 6 hours full sun, and if I could find a local resource
for major plant stocking I would, but I'm lucky if the lowe's here gets
enough that won't dies off right away.

It's been 2 years, and without resorting to artifical shade covering options
(which ruin the natural look of ponds, IMHO, I've had green water probably
80% of the spring/summer/fall months.

If I get crappy weather for a few weeks, the algae dies off, and the filter
clears it, but once I have sunny weather again, I'll get more algae again
after a few days.

Old 24-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Derek Broughton

Gareee© wrote:

I just can't see the point of a UV clarifier (it's not a filter). Good
housekeeping will keep a pond clear _enough_. Even less would I consider
UV for a preformed pond - it's just overkill (literally).

I don't have a preformed, I have a liner pond, 12x13x3-4 feet deep.

Sorry, the subject header still says "preformed"...

If you're that large, I'm not sure how big Danner's pumps go these days, but
I doubt you'd want to split the output for the falls and the UV unless
they're making much bigger ones than they used (iirc, 2400gph was the max)
- try to figure out some way to go through the UV then over the falls.
--
derek
Old 24-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
I noticed some of the uv filters are 4 ft long.. how do you guys hide
them?

===================
I hid mine in the plants along the side of the pond. Ivy and hostas growing
around the rock necklace can hide a lot of stuff. I don't use them anymore
because they're a real PIA to keep clean and it's expensive to replace the
bulbs. Since using Koi-Zyme or Lymno-Zyme we haven't had any ulcers.
Ulcers were the main reason we bought them in the first place.

Old 24-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message

I don't have a preformed, I have a liner pond, 12x13x3-4 feet deep. The
problem is I can;t seem to find local supplies of pond plants to get a
good surface coverage. (I'm in the boon docks) .........

** I am as well but pond plants can be found in many places.

I'd say other then my iria and
lillies, 100% of my surface coverage is because of the generosity of group
members, and I can only really take advantage of that once others have
surplus plants.

** Have you checked to see where your nearest Pond Club meets? You will
get more free plants from members than you can use. :-) Been there - done
that. Plus I give loads away every year. I sell some to a pond store about
25 miles from here. Occasionally some end up in the compost pile.

My pond gets about 6 hours full sun, and if I could find a local resource
for major plant stocking I would, but I'm lucky if the lowe's here gets
enough that won't dies off right away.

** Then check another Lowe's and check the Home Depots within driving
distance. Also check Wal*Mart! I've found some really good pond plants
there for less than anywhere else. Watch them in the early spring when they
first come in. Get them then before they allow them to dry out and die.
Check your nearest towns and cities for pond stores and aquarium stores.
Many aquarium stores carry pond plants (and fish) in the spring.

It's been 2 years, and without resorting to artifical shade covering
options (which ruin the natural look of ponds, IMHO, I've had green water
probably 80% of the spring/summer/fall months.

** Have you ever ordered online? That may be your only option if you're 100
or more miles from any town.

If I get crappy weather for a few weeks, the algae dies off, and the
filter clears it, but once I have sunny weather again, I'll get more algae
again after a few days.

** This is happening with my 2000 gallon pond now. It's all part of nature.

Old 24-08-2005, 08:52 PM
RichToyBox

I have my filters and uv's in the shed behind my pond. The 40 watt and
larger units are all about 4 foot long and would require a pretty good size
bush to hide them. You might look into creating a shed of some sort, one
that looks like an outhouse with moon in door, a lighthouse, or similar
structure that would fit in your decor.
--
RichToyBox

Old 24-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Gareee©

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Gareee©" wrote in message
I noticed some of the uv filters are 4 ft long.. how do you guys hide
them?

===================
I hid mine in the plants along the side of the pond. Ivy and hostas
growing around the rock necklace can hide a lot of stuff. I don't use
them anymore because they're a real PIA to keep clean and it's expensive
to replace the bulbs. Since using Koi-Zyme or Lymno-Zyme we haven't had
any ulcers. Ulcers were the main reason we bought them in the first place.

Man, I HOPE my pond doesn't give me ulcers!

Old 24-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Gareee©

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Gareee©" wrote in message

** Have you checked to see where your nearest Pond Club meets? You will
get more free plants from members than you can use. :-) Been there -
done that. Plus I give loads away every year. I sell some to a pond
store about 25 miles from here. Occasionally some end up in the compost
pile.

I don't know that we even have a pond club here.. the city's population is
only 6,000. Even Asheville, a 45 minute highway drive away only has a
population of 60,000 in it's entire county.

(Which is of course why we moved here.. LOL!)

My pond gets about 6 hours full sun, and if I could find a local resource
for major plant stocking I would, but I'm lucky if the lowe's here gets
enough that won't dies off right away.

** Then check another Lowe's and check the Home Depots within driving
distance.

Nearest Lowe's.. 10 minutes away.. next nearest Lowe's... 45-60 minutes away
highway!

Only home depot is 45 minutes away highway, and they had nothing to speak of
this year. Lowe's got 2 shipments of pond plants.. the first was decent, but
3 of the 7 plants I bought died. The second batch they got probably
exopalined why 1/2 of my first batch died.. they were shipped and arrived
with no water at ALL in the containers! And after 2 days, they tossed the
shipment away, and didn't reorder for the year.

Also check Wal*Mart! I've found some really good pond plants there for
less than anywhere else. Watch them in the early spring when they first
come in. Get them then before they allow them to dry out and die. Check
your nearest towns and cities for pond stores and aquarium stores. Many
aquarium stores carry pond plants (and fish) in the spring.

Our walmart will get the dry pond baskets in, and we've bought two of those,
but one of the lillies has yet to even get a flower after 2 years.. the one
we bought live from lowe's has had about 20-30 blooms this year alone, in
only 4 month's time.

It's been 2 years, and without resorting to artifical shade covering
options (which ruin the natural look of ponds, IMHO, I've had green water
probably 80% of the spring/summer/fall months.

** Have you ever ordered online? That may be your only option if you're
100 or more miles from any town.

I've ordered some plants online, but to get 1/2 coverage on my pond, I'll be
ordering $100 bucks worth of something like water lettuce every year. Not a
practical option from a cost standpoint.

If I get crappy weather for a few weeks, the algae dies off, and the
filter clears it, but once I have sunny weather again, I'll get more
algae again after a few days.

** This is happening with my 2000 gallon pond now. It's all part of
nature.

Oh, I know the whys and wherefores after lurking here for over a year, but
I'd like to be able to enjoy the fish for a few months out of the year.

Plus the wife is tired of not being able to see the fish, and doesn't care
what solution corrects the problem. A Uv is the last resort, if I have to
turn to it.

Muffin's WL this week might put the pond over the edge, and clear up the
green for a while.

Old 24-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Gareee©

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I have my filters and uv's in the shed behind my pond. The 40 watt and
larger units are all about 4 foot long and would require a pretty good size
bush to hide them. You might look into creating a shed of some sort, one
that looks like an outhouse with moon in door, a lighthouse, or similar
structure that would fit in your decor.

Actually, we'd talked about building a full sized outhouse "shed" as a place
to store rakes and yard tools.. might not be a bad idea to create a mini one
for the pond.

(Hmm.. or a small scale waterfront "city" to hide the stuff... Hmmm.....)

Time to put that rotozip to work!