Old 10-02-2003, 08:25 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Bottom Contours

As many of you know, in nauseating detail, my pond design plans to have a
main pond and a VF. My bottom drain and skimmer will deposit directly into
the VF, which I plan to use as a drop out area as well. Any thoughts on the
bottom contours? I want the VF to be shallow since it won't house fish, I
think the shallow water will help in cleaning. I am expecting a 400-500
gallon pond that is no more then 12-18 inches deep. This should allow me to
handle pots of all different sizes.

The feed from the BD and Skimmer will dump into this pond, and another pipe
will pull water to the pump house. I have been thinking of digging a
wandering channel in the bottom contour of the VF that is slightly deeper
the whole VF. I figure the pots can sit in the shallows and the channel will
slow the flow down a bit and cause sediment to drop out, much like the banks
of a wandering river. Maybe that or a series of beam shapes in the contour
to provide areas where the water will slow and drop out sediment.

Does this make sense?
Am I explaining this well?
Is it an exercise in futility?
Is there a best way to dump into/pull from a VF?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 11-02-2003, 01:25 AM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

Is it an exercise in futility?
Is there a best way to dump into/pull from a VF?

For $150 at my local home center I got a 300 gal Rubbermaid stock tank.
Makes a no brainer VF, and has a bottom drain built in.

Actually, I got the 150 gal tank to use as my filter, and plan to use
the 300 gal tank as an "holding" tank for when I rebuild the pond, as
well as holding and/or hospital tank in the future.

I pump the water into the filter, into the bottom, and let the water
flow up through the filter media, and flow out through a bulkhead
fitting (aka toilet flange).

That the filter is up from the pond, will help with my water fall.