Old 25-09-2005, 11:10 PM
rc

Default pond expansion

I've got a 400-500 gal pond with a 3ft waterfall. Its finally up and
running with plenty of plants and prob too many goldfish(21). The only
problem (other than maybe overstocking) is that I have very little
sunlight.
I want to expand to a second pond and am wondering wether they should
be connected for a larger total volume, or two separate ponds to keep
cross contamination to a minimum.

Fuzz

Old 26-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Reel Mckoi

"rc" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a 400-500 gal pond with a 3ft waterfall. Its finally up and
running with plenty of plants and prob too many goldfish(21). The only
problem (other than maybe overstocking) is that I have very little
sunlight.
I want to expand to a second pond and am wondering wether they should
be connected for a larger total volume, or two separate ponds to keep
cross contamination to a minimum.

===============================
I would go with the larger volume. Preventing cross contamination would be
difficult if both ponds were in the same yard anyway. Frogs and other
critters would be carrying the parasite or disease from one to the other.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 26-09-2005, 01:43 AM
~Roy

Thats bullshit.......cross contanimation from frogns etc etc....I
wonder why I never had any problems and my pond is loaded with frogs.
ABout the only real good 2 separate ones will do is if one pond comes
down with say a fungual infection or such, but its going to be twice
the work, and twice the problems..........and still no guarantee The
larger the volumne of water overall generally the better it is to keep
within parameters, and temp swings, ph shifts etc are not as
sudden.......I would expand the smaller one, or add a second and
connect them utilizing what ever plumbing and filtration that is
suitable for both........

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:17:07 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===
oglegroups.com...
==================================
===I would go with the larger volume. Preventing cross contamination would be
===difficult if both ponds were in the same yard anyway. Frogs and other
===critters would be carrying the parasite or disease from one to the other.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 26-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Snooze

"rc" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a 400-500 gal pond with a 3ft waterfall. Its finally up and
running with plenty of plants and prob too many goldfish(21). The only
problem (other than maybe overstocking) is that I have very little
sunlight.
I want to expand to a second pond and am wondering wether they should
be connected for a larger total volume, or two separate ponds to keep
cross contamination to a minimum.

Fuzz

What type of cross contamination issues are you concerned with? If you keep
new fish in quarantine you can minimize the risk of introduced disease.
Maintaining separate ponds in close proximity won't help, disease in 1 pond
will easily cross to the other, from cleaning equipment, on your hands, etc.

As for adding sunlight, that is a double edged sword. The increased sunlight
will help you grow plants, include plants you don't want, such as suspended
algae. One possible brainstorm idea is to make a second pond that is
primarily plants, maybe a few fish to keep the mosquito levels to a minimum.

-S

Pond expansion Rick Samuel Ponds (moderated) 0 02-07-2009 01:39 PM
Schengen-expansion offers new 4x4 route....:)) Willem-Jan Markerink Ponds 0 27-12-2007 07:31 PM
close believe her coming expansion Ofc. Christopher O. Mooe Ponds 0 07-11-2007 07:42 AM
Pond Expansion RG Ponds (moderated) 13 29-08-2007 12:26 AM
Shareholders Pond is an EPDM Pond BenignVanilla Ponds 5 28-04-2003 02:08 PM