Old 19-06-2010, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The curse of BER

So I added calcium to the soil, I used fish emulsion fertilizer and I
sprayed the leaves with calcium water. And BER set in anyway. No water
stress such as dry roots. I water every day as it is quite warm and the
pots dry fast. This is maddening because I lost so many tomatoes last year
to BER. Just how much more can one do?

Old 19-06-2010, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
So I added calcium to the soil, I used fish emulsion fertilizer

I don't think this is the right fertilizer for tomatoes (although it is
what I in my ignorance used), it has too much nitrogen. It's something
like 511.

I found this:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...ing_plus/73178

So, the fish fert may not be your cause, but it does not help and may
indeed hurt.

Jeff

Old 19-06-2010, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff Thies wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
So I added calcium to the soil, I used fish emulsion fertilizer

I don't think this is the right fertilizer for tomatoes (although it is
what I in my ignorance used), it has too much nitrogen. It's something
like 511.

I found this:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...ing_plus/73178

So, the fish fert may not be your cause, but it does not help and may
indeed hurt.

Jeff

and I
sprayed the leaves with calcium water.

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubs/PDF/C938.pdf

Although some people believe foliar sprays can correct Ca deficiency in
developing fruits, research is very inconclusive on this issue. What is
well known is that Ca only moves in the plant via the xylem and moves
with the transpirational water flow from the roots, up the plant and
into developing leaves. Calcium has no ability to flow from the leaves
via the phloem to the developing fruit. In addition, once fruit has
grown to golf ball size, the waxy outer layer has developed and is
believed to be quite impermeable to water. Therefore, it is recommended
that all Ca supplied to fruiting vegetables be applied via the
irrigation water so as to maximize uptake by roots

Old 19-06-2010, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Jeff Thies wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

Sigh. I was using the fish emulsion as it was recommended. I posted
earlier about using the foliar spray as irrigation water and was told it was
less effective that way. So what the heck, I will add it to the irrigation
water. I try to keep the soil from drying out. My pots get a gallon of
water a day and if I do not water in the morning I get a little wilt by
afternoon. This whole uniform water has me puzzled. I mean those plants do
grow in the wild and surely a consistently moist soil is not something they
enjoy. I can see BER is more of a challenge in container gardening.

Paul

Old 19-06-2010, 11:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Jeff Thies wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

Not so sure about that. The wild tomato is a completely different
vegetable than what we grow.

and surely a consistently moist soil is not something they
enjoy. I can see BER is more of a challenge in container gardening.

I don't know that much about container gardening. I have noticed that
being in a container loses the moisture tempering of being in ground.
I've seen both standing water in containers and containers that were
completely dry, even though it had been raining for days not long
before. Soil and drainage is much more critical in containers, it is
also much easier to control.

To make the whole BER thing more complex, it appears that calcium can
be displaced by other ions or cations that may be in your soil. So, you
may not have good tomato soil without ever knowing it.

Jeff

Paul

Old 19-06-2010, 12:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook said:

So I added calcium to the soil, I used fish emulsion fertilizer and I
sprayed the leaves with calcium water. And BER set in anyway. No water
stress such as dry roots. I water every day as it is quite warm and the
pots dry fast. This is maddening because I lost so many tomatoes last year
to BER. Just how much more can one do?

Use *much* larger pots.

If you have a layer of gravel at the bottom of the pots "for drainage" stop
doing that.

Shade the pots by setting them in a wooden box (no bottom needed)
or, use large foam or double-walled pots.

Set up a drip irrigation system so the pots stay evenly moist.

Some varieties are more prone to BER than others. Sadly, this is not
something that is discussed in catalog descriptions and it's rarely brought
up anywhere else. That's too bad, really. It would be useful information.

'Green Zebra' is a variety that has proven to be consistantly prone to
BER in my garden. Liked the tomato, but stopped growing it because
of this fault. It would suffer BER when no other variety did.

Long, pointed varieties (plum tomatoes, for example) are prone to BER.

'Early Girl' may be very popular but (in my experience) it is slightly more
prone to BER than other small, round, quick maturing varieties.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 19-06-2010, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/19/2010 1:24 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Jeff wrote in message
Jeff Thies wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

Think I am doing the same as you except I add a handful of pelletized
limestone mixed in before planting and fertilize with a mixed garden
fertilizer. When BER showed up several years ago, the limestone cured
it. I also water a lot but pots will drain from bottom container if
excessive, like a big rain.

It's still early in the season here and correction of problem could save
rest of crop.
Old 19-06-2010, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jeff wrote in message
Jeff Thies wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

It's been years since I had tomatos with BER. That's when I started
getting my soil tested. I use dolomitic limestone to adjust the PH
and it's worked fine for me for at least 25 years!!

Tom J

Old 19-06-2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Paul M. Cook said:

[...]

Last year, a third of my San Marzanos had BER. Not a third of the
plants, but a third of the crop.
--
- Billy
Old 19-06-2010, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Jeff Thies wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

How about just sticking some calcium tablets into the soil? I don't need 25
pounds of lime just for my few pots.

Paul

Old 19-06-2010, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook said:

So I added calcium to the soil, I used fish emulsion fertilizer and I
sprayed the leaves with calcium water. And BER set in anyway. No water
stress such as dry roots. I water every day as it is quite warm and the
pots dry fast. This is maddening because I lost so many tomatoes last
year
to BER. Just how much more can one do?

Use *much* larger pots.

These are 18 gallon pots, they hold 2 cubic feet of soil each.

If you have a layer of gravel at the bottom of the pots "for drainage"
stop
doing that.

I just drilled 1/2 inch holes in the bottom for drainage. Works pretty
good.

Shade the pots by setting them in a wooden box (no bottom needed)
or, use large foam or double-walled pots.

Set up a drip irrigation system so the pots stay evenly moist.

At the rate I am going my tomatoes will cost me about 20 bucks a pound.
Just cut 2 more with BER.

Some varieties are more prone to BER than others. Sadly, this is not
something that is discussed in catalog descriptions and it's rarely
brought
up anywhere else. That's too bad, really. It would be useful
information.

I have Celebrity and yellow pear going at the moment. I am thinking the
Celebrity is one I will not try again. The yellow pear did well last year
and so far this year no BER.

'Green Zebra' is a variety that has proven to be consistantly prone to
BER in my garden. Liked the tomato, but stopped growing it because
of this fault. It would suffer BER when no other variety did.

Long, pointed varieties (plum tomatoes, for example) are prone to BER.

'Early Girl' may be very popular but (in my experience) it is slightly
more
prone to BER than other small, round, quick maturing varieties.

I'll probably stick to patio from now on.

Paul

Old 19-06-2010, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

How about just sticking some calcium tablets into the soil? I don't need 25
pounds of lime just for my few pots.

Paul

Well I'd guess that the calcium tablets about 6 oz. might cost close
to 25 lb. of dolomite and the lime won't go bad.
Growing with containers looks like small mistakes in the garden are
focused or easier to make. I try to get stuff out of pots and into the
ground then back into a pot if it is a houseplant late fall.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 19-06-2010, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

How about just sticking some calcium tablets into the soil? I don't need
25
pounds of lime just for my few pots.

Paul

Well I'd guess that the calcium tablets about 6 oz. might cost close
to 25 lb. of dolomite and the lime won't go bad.
Growing with containers looks like small mistakes in the garden are
focused or easier to make. I try to get stuff out of pots and into the
ground then back into a pot if it is a houseplant late fall.

Hmmm ... how much dolomite should I add to a 22 inch pot with 2 cubic feet
of soil? Or does it matter? I mean the plant will take it up as needed.
Can you overdose?

Paul

Old 19-06-2010, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/18/10 10:24 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote [in part]:

I mean those plants do
grow in the wild and surely a consistently moist soil is not something they
enjoy. I can see BER is more of a challenge in container gardening.

Paul

I'm quite sure you will not find tomato plants of the type you want
growing in the wild. Even heritage tomatoes represent decades or
centuries of selective breeding.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 19-06-2010, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Paul M. Cook said:

So I added calcium to the soil, I used fish emulsion fertilizer and I
sprayed the leaves with calcium water. And BER set in anyway. No water
stress such as dry roots. I water every day as it is quite warm and the
pots dry fast. This is maddening because I lost so many tomatoes last year
to BER. Just how much more can one do?

Use *much* larger pots.

I have a friend growing tomatoes in 10" to 12" pots. I know the tomato
has a huge root system and I usually see them in 5 gallon paint buckets.
Is she on a fools errand?

If you have a layer of gravel at the bottom of the pots "for drainage" stop
doing that.

Why is that?

Shade the pots by setting them in a wooden box (no bottom needed)
or, use large foam or double-walled pots.

Set up a drip irrigation system so the pots stay evenly moist.

Some varieties are more prone to BER than others. Sadly, this is not
something that is discussed in catalog descriptions and it's rarely brought
up anywhere else. That's too bad, really. It would be useful information.

I've hear that some packages have BER on them to signify resistance.

'Green Zebra' is a variety that has proven to be consistantly prone to
BER in my garden. Liked the tomato, but stopped growing it because
of this fault. It would suffer BER when no other variety did.

Long, pointed varieties (plum tomatoes, for example) are prone to BER.

'Early Girl' may be very popular but (in my experience) it is slightly more
prone to BER than other small, round, quick maturing varieties.

Found this uber technical bit on BER:

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/95/4/571

Any comments on eggshells? I've got a lot ground up in my soil. It
would seem the calcium release would be slow, probably too slow.

Jeff