Old 02-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Registered User

Location: plymouth, england
Default my koi ate my goldfish!!!

i recently brought in 5 small koi about 4 inches in length also in the tank were 5 small goldfish that survived from my hatch this year, (my first ever). the gold fish were about an inch long. well after two days in the tank i realise their is a goldfish floating on the surface bitten in half and still alive! the others had all gone, i was not happy due it being my first baby goldfish and the fact i had put alot of effort into rearing them.
why did they do this, has anyone had similar experiances????

matt
Old 02-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Carol-Ann

"matt" wrote in message

i recently brought in 5 small koi about 4 inches in length also in the
tank were 5 small goldfish that survived from my hatch this year, (my
first ever). the gold fish were about an inch long. well after two days
in the tank i realise their is a goldfish floating on the surface bitten
in half and still alive! the others had all gone, i was not happy due it
being my first baby goldfish and the fact i had put alot of effort into
rearing them.
why did they do this, has anyone had similar experiances????

=======================
Bitten in half? It sounds like something else bit your goldfish. Something
with teeth or a beak that can sever. It's probably better to not mix fish
of such different sizes together. How large is this tank and is it
outdoors?
--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 02-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Derek Broughton

matt wrote:

why did they do this, has anyone had similar experiances????

Because they're fish. There are very few fish that are exclusively
vegetarian, and Koi aren't one of the species. Most fish will swallow
anything that'll fit in their mouths (and I've seen cichlids happily
swallow something half their own length).
--
derek
Old 02-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Lar

In article , matt.1xvhk0
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...
being my first baby goldfish and the fact i had put alot of effort into
rearing them.
why did they do this, has anyone had similar experiances????

Koi are omnivorous and will eat almost anything. A general rule for
nature is big fish eat little fish.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Old 03-11-2005, 12:48 AM
~ jan jjspond

i recently brought in 5 small koi about 4 inches in length also in the
tank were 5 small goldfish that survived from my hatch this year, (my
first ever). the gold fish were about an inch long.

well after two days in the tank i realise their is a goldfish floating
on the surface bitten in half and still alive! the others had all gone, matt

Does that mean you didn't look at the tank for two days?

If so, and not knowing tank size or filtration, perhaps the goldfish
weakened & died from stress? Having the bigger fish added, or ammonia
poisoning, could do this.... at which time the koi ate them. Guessing

Sorry for your loss. I raise goldfish too, but I don't mix the two. The koi
have their ponds and the goldfish get the lily pond. I only bring some of
the goldfish in for winter. The koi are on their own. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 03-11-2005, 11:11 PM

well my koi top and sides feed too, but I agree, "bit in half" is not other fish, it
is the nymph stage of dragonflies or other "fish" beetles. And they take small fish
to quite a large size. Ingrid

Hal wrote:
I have koi and goldfish together and the big fish don't eat enough of
the little fish. I read what others say about big fish eating little
fish, but in my pond if the koi or goldfish recognize it as a fish
they don't eat it. They do eat eggs, but too many eggs survive the
bigger fish.

A koi isn't likely to bite anything in half. They are bottom feeders
and their teeth are back in their throat for crushing small shelled
animals they root/vacuum out of the mud in their natural habitat, like
fresh water clams or muscles. The front of their mouths only have
lips, nothing to bite, tear or sever. The suction they put on a
finger or hand can be surprising, but I never sustained any damage
from hand feeding.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 06-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Registered User

Location: plymouth, england

Bitten in half? It sounds like something else bit your goldfish. Something
with teeth or a beak that can sever. It's probably better to not mix fish
of such different sizes together. How large is this tank and is it
outdoors?
--

the tank is 4 ft and indoors and there was only the koi and the goldfish in there, so it was definatly them. ive just got to remember never to do that again lol.

cheers for your input
Old 07-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Ohm

Hi Matt,
Sorry for your lose. Congratualtions for your successful first time
hatch. I like mine (fantail comet) to hatch also, but unfortunately I
lost 3 of the 6 i bought this spring. The rest dont even bother to
chase around each other or do anything sort of courtship. I am sure 2
are female and 1 male. And not sure they are about the age to breed or
not thought they are 1(could be a feederfish?), 2(single-fantail comet)
and 3 (comet)inches of length. I hope next spring then. Next spring Iam
planning to put them outdoor in a 2000 gal pond with some additional
Koys and lot of water plants, with a biological 100gal filter and
300gpm mag pump.
Sam

Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Carol-Ann

"Ohm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Matt,
Sorry for your lose. Congratualtions for your successful first time
hatch. I like mine (fantail comet) to hatch also, but unfortunately I
lost 3 of the 6 i bought this spring. The rest dont even bother to
chase around each other or do anything sort of courtship. I am sure 2
are female and 1 male. And not sure they are about the age to breed or
not thought they are 1(could be a feederfish?), 2(single-fantail comet)
and 3 (comet)inches of length. I hope next spring then. Next spring Iam
planning to put them outdoor in a 2000 gal pond with some additional
Koys and lot of water plants, with a biological 100gal filter and
300gpm mag pump.
Sam

============================
Breeding is almost guaranteed once you have them outdoors. The more plants
in your pond the more fry will survive. At this time we're overrun with
Shubunkin goldfish fry. Breeding them in doors is too much trouble and
bother. I tried it a few times. It's not worth the effort.

A 2000 gallon pond needs a bigger water pump than 300 GPH. Also find out
what fish predators are in your area. A heron or a few water snakes can
clean out a pond in no time.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt
i recently brought in 5 small koi about 4 inches in length also in the tank were 5 small goldfish that survived from my hatch this year, (my first ever). the gold fish were about an inch long. well after two days in the tank i realise their is a goldfish floating on the surface bitten in half and still alive! the others had all gone, i was not happy due it being my first baby goldfish and the fact i had put alot of effort into rearing them.
why did they do this, has anyone had similar experiances????

matt
Matt I had the opposite problem. Way too many goldies with the Koi not helping to keep the population in check. I was informed that Koi usually only eat fish in a crowded pond or tank. So that is why people may have different experiences on wether Koi will eat other fish. My pond is fairly large. Hope that helps.

An eagle ate one of my koi Pondmeister Ponds (moderated) 3 29-05-2007 08:35 PM
koi got ate Dusty Ponds (moderated) 8 23-03-2007 07:09 PM
Koi/Goldfish taxonomy FAQ? J. Douglas Mercer Ponds 0 28-04-2003 07:08 AM
Free Koi and Goldfish to Good DC Area Home Michael Whaley Ponds 4 18-03-2003 06:56 AM
Goldfish and Koi BenignVanilla Ponds 4 15-02-2003 12:39 AM