Old 17-11-2005, 12:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

Default Poison ivy update

Back about July I asked what to do about getting rid of poison ivy growths
around my ponds. I wound up spraying a little Round-Up. I treated each
plant that I could find with its own little squirt, I didn't do much in the
way of overspray. Anyway, it must not have been poison ivy. It was sure
easy to kill, and it hasn't resprouted or come back. I couldn't have
gotten it all (that's not my style) but I'll be darned if I can find any of
it. I researched it a lot, I went to websites and identified it (I
thought) from pictures and even ruled out "look alike" plants that are
often mistaken for it. Like I say, I don't react to it (yet) so it has
never been a real big priority for me to recognize it, but I sure didn't
want it around. I probably wiped out the highly endangered last surviving
clump of harmless *poisonus ivyus look alikeus* in North America, but its
gone nonetheless.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.
Old 17-11-2005, 01:19 AM posted to rec.ponds
San Diego Joe

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote:

snip

I probably wiped out the highly endangered last surviving
clump of harmless *poisonus ivyus look alikeus* in North America, but its
gone nonetheless.

And the only food source for the last two "californicus no developerus"

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 17-11-2005, 01:23 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
Back about July I asked what to do about getting rid of poison ivy growths
around my ponds. I wound up spraying a little Round-Up.

========================
I also used RoundUp but the darn stuff kept coming back. We've switched to
TripleStrike as it works better for poison ivy and other noxious vines.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 17-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Registered User

If tough guys of poison ivy keeps on coming back, you have to re-apply round up 3-4 times over the summer. Have anyone used Ortho Poison Ivy Killer or Brush-B-Gone?
Old 17-11-2005, 03:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen Henning

JW-Tools wrote:

If tough guys of poison ivy keeps on coming back, you have to re-apply
round up 3-4 times over the summer. Have anyone used Ortho Poison Ivy
Killer or Brush-B-Gone?

What does this have to do with ponds? Roundup won't work under water
and the other plant killers will kill everything else in the water
before they kill poison ivy.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Old 18-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Registered User

I remember your post as we were having troubles with it in my neighbors yard, which we care for.

We used a little round up too- but usually that does very little. I think it was the combo of the roundup and the 6 weeks without rainfall that helped control it this year. Hope it never comes back.
Old 19-11-2005, 08:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

If tough guys of poison ivy keeps on coming back, you have to re-apply
round up 3-4 times over the summer. Have anyone used Ortho Poison Ivy
Killer or Brush-B-Gone?

What does this have to do with ponds? Roundup won't work under water
and the other plant killers will kill everything else in the water
before they kill poison ivy.

Since most of us have our ponds in the yard, weeds do grow around them that
we wish to remove. Therefore, that's what it has to do with ponds. ;-)
~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 20-11-2005, 08:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We found that it can be pulled up fairly easily...and the runners. Takes
care of them permanently. Systemic weed killer also works well.

May yours have been tender and young...and therefore easy to kill.

Jim

Old 21-11-2005, 12:49 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
We found that it can be pulled up fairly easily...and the runners. Takes
care of them permanently. Systemic weed killer also works well.

May yours have been tender and young...and therefore easy to kill.

=====================================
Make sure to wear cheap gloves and dispose of them afterward if you pull it
up by hand. These plants seem to thrive around ponds (the moister
atmosphere perhaps?) and come back every year. TripleStrike works better to
kill it than does RoundUp. This past summer I used a black ground cloth up
to and under the rock necklace to prevent poison ivy along with other
noxious weeds that keep coming up along the rock necklace.

Old 27-11-2005, 11:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Logic316

Koi-lo wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message

We found that it can be pulled up fairly easily...and the runners. Takes
care of them permanently. Systemic weed killer also works well.

Last year I had a giant poison ivy vine growing along my fence that must
have been over 50 years old. Where it was coming out of the ground, the
vines were as thick as my arm and solid as tree trunks. I had to use an
axe to hack it apart near the ground, THEN I sprayed poison on the cut
vines which finally killed the big *******. Before doing this, I donned
a raincoat, chemical-proof gloves, and a welder's helmet to protect my
skin from any vapors or splatter because anytime in the past when I
tried to rip up the vine, I'd always break out on my arms and face even
though the plant didn't actually touch those areas. I suppose it depends
on how allergic you are to the plant's oil, but before you are going to
do handle it in any way shape or form you should cover every bit of
exposed skin.

- Logic316

"I think there is a world market for maybe 5 computers."
-- Thomas Watson, IBM boss, 1943

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers rtih Lawns 0 17-05-2003 08:32 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM