Old 23-01-2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Lotus seed germination

Hi ponders!

I have finally succeeded germinating lotus seeds indoors. (I used
rain water + 200 W aquarium heater (90 F) and an airstone to keep the
water moving).

However, I need to help the seedlings get strong for the next 3-4
months indoors. What fertilizers can I use? When is it appropriate to
fertlize the seedlings? What NPK formula should I use. My primary
goal is aid the growth of tubers and runners while they are indoors.
Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks
- S

PS: Zone 7b/8a (Puget Sound)

Old 23-01-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.ponds
Cracklin'

"S" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi ponders!

I have finally succeeded germinating lotus seeds indoors. (I used
rain water + 200 W aquarium heater (90 F) and an airstone to keep the
water moving).

However, I need to help the seedlings get strong for the next 3-4
months indoors.

They will do better and grow faster outside in the sun and air. Wait until
the temps are in the 70s.

What fertilizers can I use?

Plant them in a good rich potting soil to start them off. One of my
favorites is chipped Jobe's Rose spikes. Don't over fertilize them or you
can burn the roots and kill them.

When is it appropriate to
fertlize the seedlings? What NPK formula should I use. My primary
goal is aid the growth of tubers and runners while they are indoors.
Suggestions appreciated!

I hope you mean in a *greenhouse* or sunny south window.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 23-01-2006, 05:49 AM posted to rec.ponds

"S" wrote:
Hi ponders!

I have finally succeeded germinating lotus seeds indoors. (I used
rain water + 200 W aquarium heater (90 F) and an airstone to keep the
water moving).

However, I need to help the seedlings get strong for the next 3-4
months indoors. What fertilizers can I use? When is it appropriate to
fertlize the seedlings? What NPK formula should I use. My primary
goal is aid the growth of tubers and runners while they are indoors.
Suggestions appreciated!

You might find the information here helpful:

http://www.earthcare.com.au/lotus.htm

I use unscented, untreated Kitty Litter (Bentonite clay)and a little
aquarium sand, mixed with slow release fertizer pellets (not too many - add
more every few months, working them into the top few inches so the fish
don't eat them) and the lotuses and water lillies thrive in it. HTH

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Old 26-01-2006, 06:18 AM posted to rec.ponds

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have them by a 2000 lumens flourescent lamp. Not enough sunlight
around here unfortunately!!! (at least not until july!!!)

I also am observing some sort of a white slime developing around the
seed and the leaf stems. Should I do something about that?

- S

Old 26-01-2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"S" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have them by a 2000 lumens flourescent lamp. Not enough sunlight
around here unfortunately!!! (at least not until july!!!)

Lotus love sun and heat.

I also am observing some sort of a white slime developing around the
seed and the leaf stems. Should I do something about that?

If it's some type of fungus you can lose them. Perhaps you can gently
remove it somehow.

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy
Troll Information:
http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 03-02-2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.ponds

Unfortunately we should wait for at least 3 - 4 months to get some sun
around here!!!

Interesting thing I see - there are 3 - 4 leaf stems in the last 2
weeks. However, the leaf pads havent unfurled yet? Should I switch to
some other grow light?

Which spectrum of the light is helpful for lotus seedlings? I guess I
should delay fertilizing further before the the leaves unfurl
completely.

I only want to feed them enough to keep them going for next few months.
That way they are started and ready to go when Summer is here!

- Srikanth

Old 04-02-2006, 01:14 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

How warm is the room you're keeping them in? My lotus (in pond) don't do
much until the water is up in the mid-70's. ~ jan

On 3 Feb 2006 10:42:15 -0800, "S" wrote:

Unfortunately we should wait for at least 3 - 4 months to get some sun
around here!!!

Interesting thing I see - there are 3 - 4 leaf stems in the last 2
weeks. However, the leaf pads havent unfurled yet? Should I switch to
some other grow light?

Which spectrum of the light is helpful for lotus seedlings? I guess I
should delay fertilizing further before the the leaves unfurl
completely.

I only want to feed them enough to keep them going for next few months.
That way they are started and ready to go when Summer is here!

- Srikanth

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a