Old 25-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Lynne Whitehorn-Umphres

Default Will bamboo penetrate pond linders?

I'd like to move from my current rigid liners to an EPDM lined-pond. We
have bamboo growing next to the pond, though, and I'm concerned about the
bamboo growing *through* the liner. Anyone have any experience with this
problem?

Thank you.

-Lynne W-U

Old 25-03-2003, 05:56 PM
K30a

Decided to try Google newsgroup search and
found a lot of posts on bamboo and pond liners here

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...mboo+pond+line
r&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Drec.*

Pretty long address but I got it to paste on my
MAC/AOL.7 and that isn't the swiftest of computers ;-)

k30a
Old 25-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Bill

"Lynne Whitehorn-Umphres" wrote in message
I'd like to move from my current rigid liners to an EPDM lined-pond. We
have bamboo growing next to the pond, though, and I'm concerned about the
bamboo growing *through* the liner. Anyone have any experience with this
problem?

Sorry, didn't read close enough, the EPDM is probably a problem with
bamboo. I though you meant the rigid, which you probably know is not as much
of a problem.

One thing is certain, bamboo will grow. All you can do is guide it's
growth or kill it.

---

Old 25-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Bill

"Lynne Whitehorn-Umphres" wrote in message
I'd like to move from my current rigid liners to an EPDM lined-pond. We
have bamboo growing next to the pond, though, and I'm concerned about the
bamboo growing *through* the liner. Anyone have any experience with this
problem?

It probably won't grow through it, but it will almost certainly push it
out of shape.

---

Old 06-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Registered User

Default American Experience...

Found your site via google.
Just a word from someone in the USA about the subject.

I am in the process of adding a pond with EPDM liner in an area with bamboo - for the full on Japanese effect. I dug the hole over a year ago (lost job long story) then finally bought the liner two weeks ago. Lined the hole with sand and heavy landscape fabric. Placed the liner, filled it then let it set for a week to settle. Saturday morning all was well. Tuesday evening found a 4 inch long bamboo spike through the liner.

For a year I had not seen any bamboo roots. 3 days later I find the spike. Remember that it had gone through an inch of sand and 2 layers of landscape fabric.

I am truly humbled.

Old 06-08-2003, 03:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"jskirwin" wrote in message
s.com...
Found your site via google.
Just a word from someone in the USA about the subject.

I am in the process of adding a pond with EPDM liner in an area with
bamboo - for the full on Japanese effect. I dug the hole over a year
ago (lost job long story) then finally bought the liner two weeks ago.
Lined the hole with sand and heavy landscape fabric. Placed the liner,
filled it then let it set for a week to settle. Saturday morning all
was well. Tuesday evening found a 4 inch long bamboo spike through the
liner.

For a year I had not seen any bamboo roots. 3 days later I find the
spike. Remember that it had gone through an inch of sand and 2 layers
of landscape fabric.

I have seen experts install 10 guage ridge plastic bolted together with
double sets of steel bolts, buried 4 feet deep...and they still caveat that
it may not keep the bamboo contained. 45mil EPDM doesn't stand a chance.

BV.

Old 06-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Gary Rich

BenignVanilla wrote:
"jskirwin" wrote in message
[...]

It actualy punched a *hole* in in the EPDM? That's very unusual. The
roots will certainly go through the sand and the fabric, and will find
any crack or seam in the EPDM, but 40 mil EPDM is the standard rhizome
barrier that's used by bamboo growers:

http://www.bamboo.org/GeneralInfoPag...ingBamboo.html

And you are in the UK? I'm surprised that even an aggressive runner
would be that invasive in a temperate climate. What kind of bamboo is it?

garyr

Old 06-08-2003, 07:02 PM
zookeeper

jskirwin wrote:
I am in the process of adding a pond with EPDM liner in an area with
bamboo - for the full on Japanese effect. I dug the hole over a year
ago (lost job long story) then finally bought the liner two weeks ago.
Lined the hole with sand and heavy landscape fabric. Placed the liner,
filled it then let it set for a week to settle. Saturday morning all
was well. Tuesday evening found a 4 inch long bamboo spike through the
liner

To contain our bamboo in narrow space along a fence, we
dug a trench 12 feet long, 2 feet wide, 2 feet deep. We
bought sheet metal and formed a long oval to line the
trench. It is 3 inches taller than the trench to
prevent the bamboo from "jumping" out of the trench;
we stacked rocks on either side to hide the sheet metal
flange. The ends of the sheet metal lining were
overlapped 12 inches, riveted and sealed with pure
silicon caulking. We planted two black bamboo clumps,
which have produced gradually taller canes each year
and have finally begun to spread around in the trench
to fill in between the two clumps. We have not had any
runners jump or go beneath the liner since it was
constructed about 4-5 years ago.

There are a number of commercial products available to
line a planting hole, but they were too expensive for
our project. The sheet metal was relatively inexpensive
as was the riveter and silicon caulk.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 06-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Critical Popperian

I have seen experts install 10 guage ridge plastic bolted together with
double sets of steel bolts, buried 4 feet deep...and they still caveat that
it may not keep the bamboo contained. 45mil EPDM doesn't stand a chance.

Yeah, but I've always heard it grows over the edges of the container
when it most commonly escapes. Are you saying it went *through* the
plastic?
Old 06-08-2003, 08:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"Critical Popperian" wrote in message
om...
I have seen experts install 10 guage ridge plastic bolted together with
double sets of steel bolts, buried 4 feet deep...and they still caveat

that
it may not keep the bamboo contained. 45mil EPDM doesn't stand a chance.

Yeah, but I've always heard it grows over the edges of the container
when it most commonly escapes. Are you saying it went *through* the
plastic?

No. I was referring to it's ability to hop over the edge when you are not
looking.

BV.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Chris Herring

"zookeeper" wrote in message
jskirwin wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I am diverting off-topic here..

This sounds like an interesting idea. I would like to plant bamboo next to a
fence, and I have been wondering about the best way to contain it. Did you
consider the possibility that the sheet metal might rust away? If I
understand you correctly, you essentially made an in-ground "planter" for
the bamboo.. sides and bottom of the trench are sheet metal. What about
drainage (apparently not a problem as your bamboo seems happy)?

One of my big concerns is that there is a large oak tree near the fence. I
don't want to disturb the roots of the oak by digging a trench.. now I am
wondering about building a planter above ground, and lining it with perhaps
sheet metal..

Chris

Old 07-08-2003, 02:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"Chris Herring" wrote in message
snip
One of my big concerns is that there is a large oak tree near the fence. I
don't want to disturb the roots of the oak by digging a trench.. now I am
wondering about building a planter above ground, and lining it with

perhaps
sheet metal..

Hmmm...a big planter...sit it on a few layers of hard plastic covered by
mulch. Hmmm. I wonder if Bamboo would stay inside a big decorative planter?

BV.

Old 07-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Theo van Daele

One small thing: there are quite a few species of bamboo, and not all of
them are as nasty. Some don't do a runner at all, but stay (more or less)
in their confined area.

An example would be the Fargesia Nitida: gets up to 12 ft high, but will not
inspect the rest of your garden.

Bad ones are Phyllostachis Bissetti (i.e. bamboo) or even worse the
Pseudosasa Japonica. The last one is known to produce runners that get up
to 60 ft in length (hello neighbour! :-)

The contained species are invariably more expensive than the wilder ones.

The wilder ones will smash cement pots.

I learned the hard way :-)

Theo

Old 07-08-2003, 03:23 PM
john rutz

Chris Herring wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote in message

jskirwin wrote:

Sorry, I am diverting off-topic here..

This sounds like an interesting idea. I would like to plant bamboo next to a
fence, and I have been wondering about the best way to contain it. Did you
consider the possibility that the sheet metal might rust away? If I
understand you correctly, you essentially made an in-ground "planter" for
the bamboo.. sides and bottom of the trench are sheet metal. What about
drainage (apparently not a problem as your bamboo seems happy)?

One of my big concerns is that there is a large oak tree near the fence. I
don't want to disturb the roots of the oak by digging a trench.. now I am
wondering about building a planter above ground, and lining it with perhaps
sheet metal..

Chris

-- if worried about metal bariers rusting away check w a plastics
retailer/wholesaler for heavy flexible PVC sheet

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 07-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Gary Rich

Chris Herring wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote in message
Sorry, I am diverting off-topic here..

This sounds like an interesting idea. I would like to plant bamboo next to a
fence, and I have been wondering about the best way to contain it. Did you
consider the possibility that the sheet metal might rust away? If I
understand you correctly, you essentially made an in-ground "planter" for
the bamboo.. sides and bottom of the trench are sheet metal. What about
drainage (apparently not a problem as your bamboo seems happy)?

One of my big concerns is that there is a large oak tree near the fence. I
don't want to disturb the roots of the oak by digging a trench.. now I am
wondering about building a planter above ground, and lining it with perhaps
sheet metal..

Chris

The sheet metal will rust away eventually, so you are asking for some
long term maintenence as you eventually dig it out and replace it. EDPM
is a longer lasting solution. One thing I see commercial planters do
(Six Flags amusement parks as an example) is cut the bottom out of a
EDPM trash can and plant the bamboo in there. The root tips don't dive
down that far so it will contain it. Put gravel or something in the
bottom to ensure good drainage.

Boo and oak together may be asking for trouble. Bamboo needs copious
amounts of water during its growing season. Oak (at least all the oak
varieties in the west) need dry feet all summer long or they become weak
and sickly. Summer watering of oaks in yards and parkways is one of the
leading causes of disease and death of the trees.

garyr