Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-03-2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

Default I'm Baaaack...(new waterfall plans)

Looks like the group survived the trashing last year.

Refesher: 12x13x2.5 pond in Waynesville, NC, and I was relocating water
snakes last year.

Goldfish bred like crazy last year.. we went from 5 to over 20 in just one
year!

Frog have already been breeding like crazy here as well.. we counted over 18
in the pond a few weeks ago.

Winter has been VERY mild here this year.. the pond was iced over only 2-3
days tops over the whole of winter. early warm spring temps have already
broken the fish out of hibernation. it was so mild, that the water lillies
still have green leaves!

Greenwater has been bad already this year, but water temps have still been
to low overnight to even think of adding pond vegitation. I caved this
year,and just ordered a Laguna 25 Watt UV Clarifier, and a Little Giant
WGP-65 pump for a new waterfall. Both should arrive today, and I'll install
the uv clarifier in line with our pond spitter.

I've already begun basic building of the waterfall.. it'll have a 3 ft drop,
and we are planning an "upper" pondlet, with a 6-8 ft stream going to the
new waterfall, and then into the main pond.

I've got a book on pond and waterfall construction, and am trying to decide
best construction methods... I already have a larger rock at one end of th
pond where the waterfall will be, and need to work around that, without
creating a place where dirt will run off into the pond from the higher
elevation.

Filler under the waterfall will have a number of logs from downed trees here
that are too hard to split from the fireplace (they are large fork branches)

Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)