Old 12-04-2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
Peter Smith

Default Newbie Spring Start Up

What brand food do you use?
I usually on feed fish once a day.
I do the same with my aquarium.
Over feeding is something I learned not to do over the years.

Why do you feed more around 70° ?
I can see not feeding around 85°

How would I go about feeding my frog?
Or should I let him fend for himself.
Sometimes I find (Herman), my frog on the rim on the outside of the
pond.
Do they have to get out to eat?
I made the rocks on the rim a little higher then last year.
Should I make it lower like last year?
I'd say it's about 4 or 5 inches high all around.
He looks exactly like the frog on the left at the top of koi-lo's home
page. What kind of frog is it?

koi-lo and ~janj , nice webpages!
Thank's
Pete

Old 12-04-2006, 05:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
What brand food do you use?
I usually on feed fish once a day.
I do the same with my aquarium.
Over feeding is something I learned not to do over the years.

Overfeeding is when you feed so much the fish can't eat it all and it
decomposes in the water. Not a good thing to do.

Why do you feed more around 70° ?
I can see not feeding around 85°

Mine get fed even when the water is in the 90s without a problem. Some of
us live in areas of hot summers.

How would I go about feeding my frog?
Or should I let him fend for himself.
Sometimes I find (Herman), my frog on the rim on the outside of the
pond.
Do they have to get out to eat?
I made the rocks on the rim a little higher then last year.
Should I make it lower like last year?

Frogs can take care of their own food needs. :-) Some will even eat your
fish.

I'd say it's about 4 or 5 inches high all around.
He looks exactly like the frog on the left at the top of koi-lo's home
page. What kind of frog is it?

That's a BULLFROG and they eat fish, birds, anything they can cram down
their throats with the help of both front feet.

koi-lo and ~janj , nice webpages!

Thank you.

Thank's
Pete
--
Koi-Lo.... the ReelMcKoi
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

What brand food do you use?

I feed Shokoi, Manda Fu and sometimes HyFeng (spelling?).

I usually on feed fish once a day.

That's fine too. I was thinking more along the lines of a koi pond, where
we're wanting growth.

Why do you feed more around 70° ?

That's the optimum temp when fish are active and filter is running at its
best.

How would I go about feeding my frog? Pete

Frogs fend for themselves, self feeding, ah, the best pet. ) As long as
he can get out of the pond, sides should be no problem. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 13-04-2006, 01:49 AM posted to rec.ponds
Peter Smith

I put up a small little white pickett fence today on the back side of
the pond. It looks cool!

How could obtain lilly pads cheaply?
The place I go too wants to much )
Do lilly pads tolerate salt?
Are their any cheap alternatives, like house plants in pots that can be
submerged to water level?
The problem is when I put floating plants in, they always end up under
the waterfall and keep churning upside down.
I need more plants in and around the outside.

I have a nice potted plant that I got last year.
It's in the house rite now in a 3 gal fish tank with a filter.
It did great all winter, I kept cutting it back.
I've haven't put it back in yet. I'm waiting for the temps. outside to
get a little warmer.
Can anyone tell me the name of it?
The leaves are like Pacasandra ground cover with little yellow mum like
flowers. Or like (melapodem) spelling?
I'll try to post a link to what melapodem looks like.

Thank's
Pete

Old 13-04-2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.ponds
Peter Smith

This is the plant it looks like.
I hope this works:
Melampodium:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/0704melampodium3.jpg

thank's
Pete

Old 13-04-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:02:20 -0400, (Peter Smith) wrote:

This is the plant it looks like.
I hope this works:
Melampodium:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/0704melampodium3.jpg

thank's
Pete

Marsh Marigold?
http://www.wiseacre-gardens.com/plan...hmarigold.html ~ jan

-----------------
Old 13-04-2006, 06:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
I put up a small little white pickett fence today on the back side of
the pond. It looks cool!

How could obtain lilly pads cheaply?

Wal*Mart has them now for under $6 each.

The place I go too wants to much )
Do lilly pads tolerate salt?

I can't answer that one as I don't use salt in my ponds.

Are their any cheap alternatives, like house plants in pots that can be
submerged to water level?

Peace Lilly will work. If you join a local pond club you'll get more free
plants than you can use.

The problem is when I put floating plants in, they always end up under
the waterfall and keep churning upside down.
I need more plants in and around the outside.

I have a nice potted plant that I got last year.
It's in the house rite now in a 3 gal fish tank with a filter.
It did great all winter, I kept cutting it back.
I've haven't put it back in yet. I'm waiting for the temps. outside to
get a little warmer.
Can anyone tell me the name of it?
The leaves are like Pacasandra ground cover with little yellow mum like
flowers. Or like (melapodem) spelling?
I'll try to post a link to what melapodem looks like.

??
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.