Old 15-06-2006, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
Angela Marsh

Default Pump for bird bath?

We have a small stream running next to the house and would like to put a
bird bath in our yard near it.

Would it be possible to find an *inexpensive* pump that could pump water
from the stream into the birdbath?

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a 4' earth
berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

Does it have to be a submersible pond pump or can it be something else?

Suggestions?

Old 15-06-2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

Yes its possible to push pull water that distance and height, but its
not going to be that cheap with just using a simple small inexpensive
pump. It can be submersible or external. Unless you can divert water
closer to the birdbath itself I think a bucket would be the best
choice. Even just pushing water or pulling water over a 4 foot berm,
and then up into a fountain itself is not as easy or cheap as it may
seem.

Old 15-06-2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

Still yet again Caroyln Gulley aka Koi-Lo utilizes what others have
posted to make a post in her own name..
Perhaps a few facts did I say a few, well lets say perhaps some facts
are in order to fully understand Carol Gulley and her ways. Stay tuned
I'll post some later on today thats sure to get your interests sparked
;-)

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:53:22 -0500, "Koi-Lo" wrote:

"Angela Marsh" wrote in message
.97.142...
We have a small stream running next to the house and would like to put a
bird bath in our yard near it.

Would it be possible to find an *inexpensive* pump that could pump water
from the stream into the birdbath?

What do you consider inexpensive and where will the overflow go?

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a 4' earth
berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

That would take more than an inexpensive little pump. Do you have
electricity available out by the stream?

Does it have to be a submersible pond pump or can it be something else?

I think it would be hard to find an inexpensive pump to pull or push water
over a 4' berm then 30 feet along the ground, then up a few feet into a
birdbath. And you don't want a swamp around the birdbath so some kind if
drainage is needed.

Suggestions?

Old 15-06-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-06-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

"Angela Marsh" wrote in message
.97.142...
We have a small stream running next to the house and would like to put a
bird bath in our yard near it.

Would it be possible to find an *inexpensive* pump that could pump water
from the stream into the birdbath?

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a 4' earth
berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

Does it have to be a submersible pond pump or can it be something else?

Suggestions?

After a bit of thinking on pumps, there is a way that would be
relatively cheap but may be more trouble than its really worth. ONly
you can decide that.

Harbor freight makes a 1" clear water pump that will be more than
suitable for pulling or pushing water the height and distance you
recomended. It is an external pump, and costs less than $25.00 but can
usually be found on sale for about $22 . It can be hooked up close to
the fountain or at the stream itself. It only draws 4 amps so its not
all that expensive to run besides its only on for a short period of
time anyhow. Its easy enough to make a small pump vault to keep
thepump out of the weather, but the main concern is flooding
conditions if stream raises up, so take that into consideration.

next is the need for a flat switch to keep the bird bath filled and
not allow it to over flow. You can use a simple flaot switch and relay
to control the pump and this wold set you back about $15.00 or you can
buy a ready made float switch from Little Giant for about $30. The
rest of the expense would be wiring and PVC pipe. The pump would need
a strainer on the end and preferaby a check valve so it does not loose
its prime......so just the odds and ends for the pump not counting
wiring would set you back perhaps another $30 for strainer, pipe,
fittings check valve etc. Wiring coul dbe high or low priced as yu
make no mention of how far electrical supply is from where this bird
bath and stream is situated, but since its a low amperage draw pump
you may be able to get by on say 14 ga UF wire, you just have to
measure the distance and figure out voltage draw and loss to be
certain. Then again you may need a lot heaveir gauge wire. It all
depends on amperage draw and distance of electrical run.

OR you can build a hydraulic water ram and allow water movement to
push the water up tothe fountain. These devices are used n this area
for lifting and pushing water up toabout 10 feet in height from
streams and anywhere from a few feet to a hundred feet or so to cattle
watering troughs. Most of the cattlemen make their own devices but yu
can find plans on the internet or in magazines like Mother Earth News,
etc.

I still think a bucket would be a lot cheaper and easier overall but
thats just my opinion........

I have a bunch of those Harbor Freight clear water pumps i use around
my place for a few years now and have yet to have a problem with any
of them. They work just fine. I use them to pull water from larger
natural ponds and streams controlled by float devices to fill up
various other tanks and containers. I pull water from a manifold sort
of deal with multiple tapoffs for these pumps, that gravity feeds
water a distance of 250 feet from a stream through 10" PVC pipe. Last
count there is 8 of these 1" clear water pumps pulling water out of
that mianifold , all at various times of the day/ night, but they all
are attached to this common manifold. A similar manifold could be
made from common 4" PVC pipe for little cost in money, but for 30 feet
distance and less digging, it owul dbe easier to place pump near
stream in sheltered house / vault and push water that short distance
to bird bath.

Old 15-06-2006, 10:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Koi-Lo arrested for having sex in public

wrote:

Giddy blonde ****rag with saturated silk igloo and dainty breasticles
hungers for run-down stretchy and the twins for nimble salami burying.
Mail me at

Old 15-06-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Angela wrote:

We have a small stream running next to the house and would like to put a
bird bath in our yard near it.

Would it be possible to find an *inexpensive* pump that could pump water
from the stream into the birdbath?

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a 4' earth
berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

Does it have to be a submersible pond pump or can it be something else?

Suggestions?

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'll go ahead and waste
some bandwidth anyway. Maybe if someone else posts the answer, I'll
copy and paste their answer and pretend it was my answer.

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Old 15-06-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

See what I told you about Koi lo.... Angela........she can be on
target sometimes and then just go bonkers and get very hostile and
disruptive. She is really a spastic individual and should be avoided
at all possible costs...She is a plague on the usenet community. If
you do not learn one thing other than Carol Gulley aka Koi Lo is a
slandering lying individual, you learned whats important.

A simple kill filter will eliminate the posts she makes so you do not
have to endure her outbursts of anger.

Old 15-06-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

wrote:

We have a small stream running next to the house and would like to put a
bird bath in our yard near it.

Would it be possible to find an *inexpensive* pump that could pump water
from the stream into the birdbath?

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a 4' earth
berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

Does it have to be a submersible pond pump or can it be something else?

Suggestions?

Sure, Danner or Beckett pump. Can't give you a gph, since you didn't say
how big the bird bath is, or where the water is going to flow after it
fills the bird bath. ~ jan
-----------------
Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 16-06-2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunman

On rec.ponds, in
.97.142, "Angela
Marsh" wrote:

We have a small stream running next to the house and would like to
put a bird bath in our yard near it. Would it be possible to find
an *inexpensive* pump that could pump water from the stream into
the birdbath?

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a
4' earth berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

How high is the birdbath? If it's lower then the heigth of your berm
all you need to worry about it pumping the watter to that heigth.

I'd recomend built what is essentualy an aquaduct, since as long as
there is nothing to restrict it watter will find it's own level.

The easiest method woud be to use large pvc pipe, with a stack at the
berm end to recive watter from the pump and a underground tee with a
RV adapter & valve at the birdbath end, like so (fixed width font):
_
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_| _
| \______________ ___________/ |_ @
\__|_____________ ~ _________|_____|-+---

The tee and valve go neat the birdbath, and should be placed inside
a box for easier access (for cleaning & draining). Dry fit everything
first before you start gluing and be sure to leave extra at the pump
end. After its all togeter fill it with some watter to make sure the
joints don't leak. Once it's all tested, burry and enjoy.

Parts:
- pvc "sewer" pipe
- recomended glue
- one elbow & one Tee fitting
- one end cap with screw in plug
- Sewage clean-out adapter (RV store)
- some hose that fits the RV adapter (to run into the bird bath).

You'll have to gauge the size of the pipe based on whatever size the
RV adapter is. At the local store they are 4", but I'm sure 6" is
avalable as well.

--
Anti-Troll FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/d8e4

Ignore the grassy knoll, there is only one Lone Gunman.

Old 16-06-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

if the birdbath water will then flow back into the stream and pond I wouldnt do it.
birds are dirty.
It might be easier to simply set up a hose with a timer on it to fill the bird bath
once a day .... use a cheap hose turn off to regulate how much water goes into the
bird bath. a nice drip will attract birds. Ingrid

Angela Marsh wrote:

We have a small stream running next to the house and would like to put a
bird bath in our yard near it.

Would it be possible to find an *inexpensive* pump that could pump water
from the stream into the birdbath?

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a 4' earth
berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

Does it have to be a submersible pond pump or can it be something else?

Suggestions?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 16-06-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

So ex[alin the difference in when a bird gets the water in a bird bath
nasty that gets back into the stream and when bird use a stream and
make it nasty.....looks like the same thing to me. I am sure birds in
naaature do not have access to bird baths that are not able to corss
contaminate. You info is biased, and of course leans best towards the
fish side. but its full of holes just the same.

Angela Marsh wrote:

We have a small stream running next to the house and would like to put a
bird bath in our yard near it.

Would it be possible to find an *inexpensive* pump that could pump water
from the stream into the birdbath?

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a 4' earth
berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

Does it have to be a submersible pond pump or can it be something else?

Suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Old 16-06-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunner

Default wow, Derek Broughton slaps down the great know it all doctor solo aka ingrid

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 14:39:18 -0300, Derek Broughton

if the birdbath water will then flow back into the stream and pond I
wouldnt do it. birds are dirty.

if the water will flow back into the _stream_, I'd do it in a minute. The
birds will bathe somewhere, and if not in your birdbath, it'll be in your
stream _or_ pond. So you want to encourage that dirt to end up in the
stream.

You _do_ want to try to provide somewhere the birds will bathe that isn't
your pond.

Angela Marsh wrote:

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a 4' earth
berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

You really only need either a small trickle, or as Solo suggests a refill
once or twice a day, so yes, a small pump can certainly do it.

Does it have to be a submersible pond pump or can it be something else?

For your needs, submersible is cheaper.

Bird bath Padraig Garden Photos 2 16-01-2007 11:21 PM
A Heated Bird Bath as your center piece. BirdOasis North Carolina 3 30-11-2005 02:12 AM
Around the Bird Bath Smiles Gardening 4 07-05-2005 03:44 AM
Something red grows in the bird bath Anonny Moose Gardening 8 21-05-2004 02:02 AM
BIRD BATH QUESTION WARRENRN1 Gardening 4 22-07-2003 04:08 PM