Old 13-04-2003, 02:57 AM
RichToyBox

Default 4/11 like 9/11 for me

On April 10th, we had a severe thunderstorm about 9:00 PM. It apparently
tripped the GFCI. 8:00 AM April 11, I go outside and notice steam coming
from the skimmer box, where my heater is mounted. That was rather unusual,
so I went to check it out. What I found was that the pumps were not
running. So I go and reset the GFCI, and go in for breakfast. The cable is
out. My SIL comes by to drop the Granddaughters off, and on his way out of
the neighborhood, sees the cable man, and calls for me to go see him. Off
down the next street to see if what he is doing will bring back the cable.

As I returned to the house, DW is out front waving frantically. Water is
running down the back yard from the smaller pond. I go out and find that
one of the friction fit pipes has come loose and is dumping the pond. I
have been using the friction fit for about 5 years to make it easy to remove
the pumps with no problems but apparently the heat caused the pipe to come
loose. I put the pipe back, start the pump again, and go up to the door in
the cover, open it to start filling the pond, and find that I have 6 dead
fish, and a couple of others that are near death. Of the dead were 2 very
large koi, one yellow butterfly, the other an ochiba. The other four were
one year olds, with two of them being favorites. I start exercising the
doitsu showa back and forth to try to revive him while the pond is filling.
He starts to come around some, but wants to lay on the bottom on its side
and only move when disturbed. The platinum butterfly is at the top gasping.
I go in and get 3 pints of hydrogen peroxide and put it in the water while
the water continues to fill. The water had been pumped down about 25%. The
fish revive and all are swimming normally.

About 3:30 PM, we look out and water is running down the yard again. I run
out and find that the pumps have pumped out almost 75% of the water. D***
friction fitting came loose again. Got the glue and fixed that problem.
Filled the pond back up.

About 7:00 PM looked out and water was running down the yard again. Went
out and the other friction fitting had come loose. Got a plumbing union and
glued all the joints. This time it had only started to lose water, maybe
5%.

Well I guess that counts as my spring water change.

Old 13-04-2003, 06:56 AM
Mac Knight

Sorry to hear that, Rich. Bad day, for sure.

Mac Knight
http://www.macknight.addr.com

Old 13-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Springworks

How can you compare that to 9/11?????
Loose a damn fish to your negligence, and we lose relatives in a horrific
event, and you compare those to being the same?????
Thats quite disgusting.....I'll make sure my aunt knows that her husband and
brothers lives were almost worth the same as stupid fish......
How can you compare anything to 9/11.......It's still fresh in everyones
minds......

Old 13-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Priscilla McCullough

I don't think he meant it like that, or to insult anybody.
Our "fish" is like part of a family member to us. So this was traumatic to
Rich.
I'm sorry for your loss.
Priss

Old 13-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

RichToyBox wrote:
[...]

I hope you rested on the 12th!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 13-04-2003, 03:32 PM
John Rutz

RichToyBox wrote:
On April 10th, we had a severe thunderstorm about 9:00 PM. It apparently
tripped the GFCI. 8:00 AM April 11, I go outside and notice steam coming
from the skimmer box, where my heater is mounted. That was rather unusual,
so I went to check it out. What I found was that the pumps were not
running. So I go and reset the GFCI, and go in for breakfast. The cable is
out. My SIL comes by to drop the Granddaughters off, and on his way out of
the neighborhood, sees the cable man, and calls for me to go see him. Off
down the next street to see if what he is doing will bring back the cable.

Well I guess that counts as my spring water change.

thank god you were able to save the fish

--

John Rutz

the green is grassing the leaves are treeing
I'm happy

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 13-04-2003, 10:56 PM
mad

what a day! sheesh!
mad
--
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an
accordian. You just leave a lot of useless, noisy baggage behind!"

Old 13-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Jerrispond

How can you compare that to 9/11?????
Loose a damn fish to your negligence, and we lose relatives in a horrific
event, and you compare those to being the same?

I am sure no disrespect was meant....Rich is really a good guy. I am sorry for
you loss on 9/11. I lost my daughter last week Jerri

Old 14-04-2003, 12:56 AM
RichToyBox

The comparison was not meant to be disrespectful of those that lost loved
ones. It was a family tragedy in which I lost much loved fish.
--
RichToyBox

Old 14-04-2003, 06:32 AM
jammer

Good lord! What a bummer, so sorry that happened to you.

Old 14-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Tom La Bron

Rich,

What a bad day, just thank God that you were there to catch it each time.
If it had been me, it would have been the day that I was gone for 14 hours.
I tried using just the friction fitting technique and really hate having to
buy new fittings all the time and to recut or buy new pipe, but I learned my
lesson early and have glued every time since.

Tom L.L.
---------------------------------

Old 16-04-2003, 11:56 PM
ponder

Never sit a pump on the bottom of a pond, that is because it can drain your
pond.Just a piece of info

Old 17-04-2003, 02:44 AM
~ jan

Rich,

What is a friction valve?

Would camlocks work better for you? Course with those you do have to have
the room to back them off. That's what my DH installed for me.... probably
because he didn't want to be called to do the maintenance I suppose.
;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 17-04-2003, 03:20 AM
RichToyBox

Jan,

The friction fitting is just pushing the pieces of pipe together with no
glue. I had success with the method for about 5 years, but the high heat in
the skimmer affected the pipe sizes, I guess and they would not hold. Glue
is now holding them.
--
RichToyBox

-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers