Old 15-03-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default rec.ponds.moderated

Over time rec.ponds became full of noise, arguments, off-topic
discussions and the like that it became very difficult to discuss
ponds and fish and stuff, so several folks got together and tried to
find some solution. In order to keep noise and arguments and things
to a minimum, rec.ponds.moderated has been organized. Much of the
discussion is moving there. The group has just been approved, and so
many news servers may not carry it yet. If yours doesn't shortly,
perhaps a (polite, news admin's get lots of grief already) request
might help things along. Last time I checked, giganews, my news
server, didn't carry it yet, so I'm in much the same boat.

--
Galen Hekhuis
Illiterate? Write for FREE help
Old 15-03-2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.ponds

On 15 Mar 2007 08:02:13 -0700, "Zhragon" wrote:

So why are people still posting here?
A proposal should be issued to have rec.ponds removed.

People are still posting here for many reasons. I suspect the chief
reason folks are still posting here is because rec.ponds.moderated is
not carried by most news servers. As to removing rec.ponds, as long
as there is some traffic here I doubt it will be removed, however I
have no interest in proposing it be removed or even in it's removal.
--
Galen Hekhuis
We'll cross that bridge when it rears its ugly head
Old 15-03-2007, 03:19 PM posted to rec.ponds

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

I suspect the chief
reason folks are still posting here is because rec.ponds.moderated is
not carried by most news servers.

Don't know what the propagation delay is, but newshosting doesn't have it
yet, and they pride themselves on carrying _everything_. I'll check from
time to time, and put in a request on their main page to add it.

I'll continue to read here too, for various reasons including, but not
limited to, not letting somebody else control what I do.

And yes, my pond is still frozen, but after the past few days, probably not
for long.

Peace,

Old 15-03-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

On 15 Mar 2007 08:23:31 -0700, "Zhragon" wrote:

So, if there was no RPM, people will still post here. Doesn't that
kinds of defeats the purpose of creating a moderated news group to
begin with?

The fact that people will continue to post here really has little to
do with rpm. Rec.ponds got to be full of so much other stuff that
fewer and fewer pond related posts made it here. The moderated group
exists for a place where people can discuss ponds and pond related
stuff without all the noise and arguments and off-topic stuff.
Old 15-03-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.ponds

Who the **** are you to decide for others what is and what is not
pointless you moronic bitch!
Kindly shut the hell up you moron. Now get back to dancing you
muppet......

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:14:03 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
m...
On 15 Mar 2007 08:23:31 -0700, "Zhragon" wrote:

So, if there was no RPM, people will still post here. Doesn't that
kinds of defeats the purpose of creating a moderated news group to
begin with?

The fact that people will continue to post here really has little to
do with rpm. Rec.ponds got to be full of so much other stuff that
fewer and fewer pond related posts made it here. The moderated group
exists for a place where people can discuss ponds and pond related
stuff without all the noise and arguments and off-topic stuff.
===========================
snip a bunch of opinionated crap by CArol Gulley the usenet attention
whore and destroyer of the aquaria groups.

-------

Old 16-03-2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:19:28 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

Don't know what the propagation delay is, but newshosting doesn't have it
yet, and they pride themselves on carrying _everything_. I'll check from
time to time, and put in a request on their main page to add it.

I'll continue to read here too, for various reasons including, but not
limited to, not letting somebody else control what I do.

Ditto. Though I can read RPM from the webpage and post via e-mail, not
exactly satisfactory. As soon as I get my service hosting it, I'll be more
apt to post there than here. ~ jan
Old 28-03-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.ponds

wrote:

Don't know what the propagation delay is, but newshosting doesn't have it
yet, and they pride themselves on carrying _everything_. I'll check from
time to time, and put in a request on their main page to add it.

I'll continue to read here too, for various reasons including, but not
limited to, not letting somebody else control what I do.

Ditto. Though I can read RPM from the webpage and post via e-mail, not
exactly satisfactory. As soon as I get my service hosting it, I'll be more
apt to post there than here. ~ jan

They can take our ontopic community
But they'll never take...
OUR FREEDOM!!!
WooooooooooT!!!
I'm only here coz I'm an adict dammit.
heh

Old 28-03-2007, 01:39 PM posted to rec.ponds

"swarvegorilla" wrote:

But they'll never take...
OUR FREEDOM!!!

AOL
Me too!
/AOL

But not much to say yet; my pond is still frozen, though with the next few
warm/windy days....

Peace,

Old 29-03-2007, 04:54 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Mar 28, 6:39 am, Gary Woods wrote:
"swarvegorilla" wrote:
But they'll never take...
OUR FREEDOM!!!

AOL
Me too!
/AOL

But not much to say yet; my pond is still frozen, though with the next few
warm/windy days....

Peace,

Gary,

I used to live in Syracuse. Are you near there?

I now live in Jackson. Spring is here.

Jim

Old 29-03-2007, 12:40 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:

I used to live in Syracuse. Are you near there?

In global terms, yes: I'm in a little town 30 miles west of Albany along
good old US 20, so about 2 hours from Syracuse. My older daughter (of 2)
and family live outside Rochester.

And although there's still some snow on the ground and ice on the pond, the
grass is greening up, and lots of other birds have joined the redwings for
the morning chorus. So spring is knocking at the door. I'll know for sure
when I see garlic shoots coming up, and that will probably happen as soon
as the snow melts off the bed. Maybe today, if the forecast is right.
Hey, it could happen!

Cheers,

Old 29-03-2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Mar 29, 5:40 am, Gary Woods wrote:
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:

I used to live in Syracuse. Are you near there?

In global terms, yes: I'm in a little town 30 miles west of Albany along
good old US 20, so about 2 hours from Syracuse. My older daughter (of 2)
and family live outside Rochester.

And although there's still some snow on the ground and ice on the pond, the
grass is greening up, and lots of other birds have joined the redwings for
the morning chorus. So spring is knocking at the door. I'll know for sure
when I see garlic shoots coming up, and that will probably happen as soon
as the snow melts off the bed. Maybe today, if the forecast is right.
Hey, it could happen!

Cheers,

I remember the end of March when I was kid. We used to wash the dog
by having her chase a stick in the locak park. It collected water
from melting snows in the low spots. Lots more fun that washing her
at home.

Jim

Old 03-04-2007, 03:02 AM posted to rec.ponds

Survived the hot summer and now sliding into winter
tis cool because can use me fireplace
wOOOOOOOOt!

oups.com...
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:

I used to live in Syracuse. Are you near there?

In global terms, yes: I'm in a little town 30 miles west of Albany along
good old US 20, so about 2 hours from Syracuse. My older daughter (of 2)
and family live outside Rochester.

And although there's still some snow on the ground and ice on the pond,
the
grass is greening up, and lots of other birds have joined the redwings
for
the morning chorus. So spring is knocking at the door. I'll know for
sure
when I see garlic shoots coming up, and that will probably happen as soon
as the snow melts off the bed. Maybe today, if the forecast is right.
Hey, it could happen!

Cheers,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic