Old 03-05-2003, 05:20 PM
DaBear

Default Toad question

Female toads are usually quite a bit larger than the males, and do not
croak. They do make a squeaking noise though.
Could be your big guy is really a big girl.........

Bear

"jammer" j@mmer wrote in message
I looked it up but it is getting late and I can't find the answer.

I was observing my new toad pond tonight

One very large toad either had laryngitis, or just made a very VERY
low sound while still pushing his throat out and being aggressive. The
temp dropped from 88 to 64 after a storm. (If that makes any
difference) Have you ever seen a big guy walk the walk but merely
whisper the talk?

Old 03-05-2003, 07:56 PM
K30a

jammer wrote but the call is VERY low, long as usual,
but VERY low.

The temperature dropped as I recall.
(It did here too!)
Amphibians are ectothermic critters.
What we used to call cold blooded. They need
an external source of heat, the sun warming them and their surroundings to
function. The lower the temperature the slower the toad, frog, turtle or snake.

k30a
Old 03-05-2003, 11:44 PM
K30a

jammer wrote I am listening to the Tarrant
County weather spotters on my scanner.

Are you in tornado country?

k30a
Old 03-05-2003, 11:44 PM
mad

the whole of texas is tornado country. we thought we were safe out here in
the mountains, but NOOOOO! presidio had a tornado about 6 years ago that
damaged the roof of their new high school.
mad
--
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by
reading, the few who learn by observation and the

Old 04-05-2003, 07:08 PM
jammer

On 03 May 2003 22:38:03 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

jammer wrote I am listening to the Tarrant
County weather spotters on my scanner.

Are you in tornado country?

k30a

Yes sirree......10miles north of fort worth, tx

Old 06-05-2003, 03:08 PM
ande

Wait until you see those baby toads! They are the cutest! We went to a big
pond in the woods last year to listen to frog calls and on the path to the
pond were hundreds of baby toads. They were the size of a pencil eraser!
You would never have seen them except for the movement when they all
scattered. Then I made real sure where I was walking from then on. I hope
I get lots of toad eggs this year. I'm just waiting for the night temps to
go up a bit and the toad carnivals should begin! Good luck with your
babies!

"jammer" j@mmer wrote in message
On 04 May 2003 20:03:33 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

jammer wrote About a million eggs

Congrats on your soon to be million bouncing
baby toads ;-)

My folks lived in Baton Rouge for three years
and you all have serious weather down there!

k30a

Oh man......I set up a 20 gallon aquarium with pond water and
vegetation. I just put a whole potted plant in there because the eggs
were all inside of the plant. Whe the went to scoop out water, i went
for where i found baby fish 2 days ago for mosquito control, and
instead there were another million eggs. OMG! I should have taken
those and left the ones at the surface for hungry birds, but it was
too late.

A million bouncing baby toads...what have i done??? HAHAHA

When/if the aquarium eggs hatch, i am looking for a kiddie pool to set
up out back with boards or something for them to escape on....

I have never seen a toad less than 2-3 inches wide, never seen the
eggs, never seen a toad calling, never seen the piggy back
rides...this is fun.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:32 PM
jammer

On Tue, 6 May 2003 10:11:17 -0400, "ande"
wrote:

Wait until you see those baby toads! They are the cutest! We went to a big
pond in the woods last year to listen to frog calls and on the path to the
pond were hundreds of baby toads. They were the size of a pencil eraser!
You would never have seen them except for the movement when they all
scattered. Then I made real sure where I was walking from then on. I hope
I get lots of toad eggs this year. I'm just waiting for the night temps to
go up a bit and the toad carnivals should begin! Good luck with your
babies!

Thanks, they sound adorable! And either these tads have hatched in 4
days or i'm trippin'. They are teeny.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

wrote:

Wait until you see those baby toads! They are the cutest! We went to a big
pond in the woods last year to listen to frog calls and on the path to the
pond were hundreds of baby toads. They were the size of a pencil eraser!
You would never have seen them except for the movement when they all
scattered. Then I made real sure where I was walking from then on. I hope
I get lots of toad eggs this year. I'm just waiting for the night temps to
go up a bit and the toad carnivals should begin! Good luck with your
babies!

Thanks, they sound adorable! And either these tads have hatched in 4
days or i'm trippin'. They are teeny.

The toads will be teeny also.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 07-05-2003, 12:20 AM
jammer

On Tue, 06 May 2003 22:47:41 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade
wrote:

Thanks, they sound adorable! And either these tads have hatched in 4
days or i'm trippin'. They are teeny.

The toads will be teeny also.

I guess no one is allowed to walk in my backyard then! I already do
the weedeating and mowing since no one respects my yard and plants but
me.

Old 07-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

wrote:

Thanks, they sound adorable! And either these tads have hatched in 4
days or i'm trippin'. They are teeny.

The toads will be teeny also.

I guess no one is allowed to walk in my backyard then! I already do
the weedeating and mowing since no one respects my yard and plants but
me.

The first year we had toads and I was afraid to walk in the
area and wouldn't let dh mow. He was glad to see them leave.

--
Bonnie
NJ
http://home.earthlink.net/~maebe43/

Another toad question Don C. Ponds (moderated) 6 03-06-2007 05:31 PM
The first toad. BOO HOO!!!!!!! jammer Ponds 17 12-04-2003 07:32 AM
Toad Beak 21 Ponds (alternative) 1 26-03-2003 08:32 PM
Frog, toad and newt spawn Annabel United Kingdom 9 08-03-2003 05:45 PM
to "Toad" Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 1 04-02-2003 01:19 AM