Old 06-05-2003, 06:08 PM

Default dagnabit, I want toad tadpoles!

If anyone in the area of Pikesville, MD, is overwhelmed with toad tads,
and is looking for a place to release a bunch, I'd be glad to pay for them
and the gas it takes to bring them over (my health gets in the way of
getting out to pick them up.)

Many thanks,

Toadless Alan

**** Please use address to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 06-05-2003, 07:32 PM
K30a

Okay, I know this is a little over the top,
probably worthy of a Roark Award but.....

They do sell amphibian call CDs somewhere out there
in internet land. I wonder if some computer nerd like my youngest son could
rerecord and loop toad calls...
Then I wonder if there was a ponder, with a sense of adventure, who could set
up an outdoor sound system, play the calls and see what happens?

k30a
Old 06-05-2003, 07:32 PM
K30a

I, k30a, wrote They do sell amphibian call CDs somewhere out there
in internet land.

Yup, here is a great page!
http://coloherp.org/other/frogcalls.php

k30a
Old 06-05-2003, 09:08 PM
bobkiely

K30a...I found a wav. file somewhere on the internet about a year ago. I
wondered the same thing...how would my frog react as to the best of my
knowledge, he's never heard or seen another frog?
Well, my computer is 3 rooms from the pond and I wasn't curious enough to
run speaker wire out there so I just turned the volume all the way up and
played the croaking for about a minute.

The reaction from the frog was nil - nada - ho/hum but some people walking
by my house thought I had a 300 lb. frog in the house! :-)

Old 06-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
Okay, I know this is a little over the top,
probably worthy of a Roark Award but.....

They do sell amphibian call CDs somewhere out there
in internet land. I wonder if some computer nerd like my youngest son could
rerecord and loop toad calls...
Then I wonder if there was a ponder, with a sense of adventure, who could set
up an outdoor sound system, play the calls and see what happens?

k30a

Yes, there is one. Not sure if it was National Geographic,
National Wildlife Federation or something similiar. I
tossed the catalog. Whichever one it was also offers a cd
of birdcalls. I'll let your fingers do the typing to find
which site has it available.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 07-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

I am glad they did come! Our first summer, we wondered if they
would...because we built the pond in August. Since then, no question.
Right now I can hear maybe 20 toads and 10 green tree frogs announcing their
availability. The pond has vast numbers of tadpoles. We built....they
came! May you enjoy the serenade and may Toadless alan be toadless no more!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"jammer" j@mmer wrote in message
On Tue, 06 May 2003 13:06:51 -0400, wrote:

If anyone in the area of Pikesville, MD, is overwhelmed with toad tads,
and is looking for a place to release a bunch, I'd be glad to pay for

them
and the gas it takes to bring them over (my health gets in the way of
getting out to pick them up.)

Many thanks,

Toadless Alan

I feel your pain and i want to laugh. They told me to build a pond and
they would come and i posted 6-8 posts crying about wanting tapoles.
Now i have thousands and am scrambling for a kiddie wading pool to set
up an escape route out back.

So, you'll pay gas, eh? I am near Ft. Worth. Texas. Rev up your check
book, here i come!

Old 07-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Zeuspaul

I, k30a, wrote They do sell amphibian call CDs somewhere out there
in internet land.

Yup, here is a great page!
http://coloherp.org/other/frogcalls.php

k30a

I loaned the Frog and Toad calls of the Pacific Coast CD
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/d/davidsonc/frogtapes.htm to a friend. He played
it for his Pacific Tree Frogs and they did respond.

Zeuspaul
Old 08-05-2003, 01:08 AM

In , on 05/06/03
at 05:35 PM, jammer j@mmer said:

I feel your pain and i want to laugh. They told me to build a pond and
they would come and i posted 6-8 posts crying about wanting tapoles. Now
i have thousands and am scrambling for a kiddie wading pool to set up an
escape route out back.

It's been five years, and they haven't come.

So, you'll pay gas, eh? I am near Ft. Worth. Texas. Rev up your check
book, here i come!

Not quite the Pikesville, MD area. Missed by a few miles.

Old 08-05-2003, 01:08 AM
jammer

On Wed, 07 May 2003 16:54:38 -0700, joe wrote:

wrote:

If anyone in the area of Pikesville, MD, is overwhelmed with toad tads,
and is looking for a place to release a bunch, I'd be glad to pay for them
and the gas it takes to bring them over (my health gets in the way of
getting out to pick them up.)

Many thanks,

Toadless Alan

I'm just pleased that someone has clarified the spelling of "dagnabit"

Joe

Well actually, i thought it had two "b"s.

Alan, i hope you get your toads. Is it "spring" there yet? When you
listen out bvack do you hear any toads calling in the distance? When i
said i was laughing earlier, i didn't mean at YOU, I meant because i
wanted them like you do and now i have a million toadpoles! If i knew
how to mail them, i would, just so you'd have some too. Keep me/us
posted.

Old 08-05-2003, 01:20 AM
joe

jammer wrote:

When you
listen out back do you hear any toads calling in the distance?

We were fooled by this sound this spring. Constant ribbit, ribbit, noises.
We got excited - finally some toads. Turned out to be a Mockingbird. But at
least we know he learned his song somewhere around here.

Still hopeful.

Joe

Old 08-05-2003, 04:20 AM
jammer

On Wed, 07 May 2003 17:17:18 -0700, joe wrote:

We were fooled by this sound this spring. Constant ribbit, ribbit, noises.
We got excited - finally some toads. Turned out to be a Mockingbird. But at
least we know he learned his song somewhere around here.

Still hopeful.

Joe

HA! When i was waiting for toads i heard one by the pond and dropped
my hose on the other side of the yard to go see. It was a mockingbird
on the fence above the pond.

Don't give up hope!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
ganews.com...
In , on 05/06/03
at 05:35 PM, jammer j@mmer said:

I feel your pain and i want to laugh. They told me to build a pond and
they would come and i posted 6-8 posts crying about wanting tapoles. Now
i have thousands and am scrambling for a kiddie wading pool to set up an
escape route out back.

It's been five years, and they haven't come.

So, you'll pay gas, eh? I am near Ft. Worth. Texas. Rev up your check
book, here i come!

Not quite the Pikesville, MD area. Missed by a few miles.

My neighbor is promising me some tadpole eggs and tadpoles. If he can't get
them soon, I plan to buy some on-line. I am in Ellicott City, MD...maybe it
would make sense for us to go halfies on some on-line?

BV.