Old 12-05-2003, 12:32 AM
jammer

Default Pond PLant question: water celery

When can you harvest it for salads?

JUST KIDDING!!

In 6 months or so, my water celery has stayed a smallish plant. I had
it in rocks in a pot and the roots grew out over the top into the
water. I repotted it in soil with gravel and rocks on top and the
roots, again, came out of the top in abundance. That's great that the
roots are so happy, but how do i get the leaves to grow?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

You can just let it be in the water. The roots will grow, and the top. See
if summer does not help. Ours is now trying to come up next to the pond,
through the dirt!

And, yes, you can eat it.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
news

Old 12-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

jammer wrote:
When can you harvest it for salads?

JUST KIDDING!!

In 6 months or so, my water celery has stayed a smallish plant. I had
it in rocks in a pot and the roots grew out over the top into the
water. I repotted it in soil with gravel and rocks on top and the
roots, again, came out of the top in abundance. That's great that the
roots are so happy, but how do i get the leaves to grow?

Thanks.

When the weather warms up, I have trouble keeping it under
control. I cut it every other week. Mine is just starting
to take off. The water celery that has sprung up along side
the pond seems to be growing faster at the moment.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 12-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Bonnie,

So your celery tries to escape as well!

Old 12-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Hi Bonnie,

So your celery tries to escape as well!

Jim

It not only tried, it has succeeded in several areas!

Old 12-05-2003, 03:20 PM
John Rutz

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:

Hi Bonnie,

So your celery tries to escape as well!

Jim

It not only tried, it has succeeded in several areas!

--

and seems to grow best in the garden

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 12-05-2003, 11:08 PM
GD

Mowing water celery?

Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi GD,

Yep. The water celery seems also to be a terrestrial. It comes out and
sends runners under the rocks. It surfaces on the berm behind the veggie
pond/fileters. In the hot summer, it does poorly on the berm. In the
spring, it thrives. The mower does the trick.

Want some?

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
Mowing water celery?

Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 AM
GD

I don't need any, thanks. What you call water celery mustn't be what
I call water celery. Vallisneria americana does not survive out of
water. Got pictures?

Old 13-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

It is not Vallisneria americana. I used to grow that in my fish tanks. No
way that escapes onto the lawn!

Water Celery Question stricks760 Ponds 4 01-04-2004 08:17 PM
Water Celery Question stricks760 Ponds 0 01-04-2004 08:16 PM
how invasive is your water celery? mike miller Ponds 4 29-05-2003 03:32 PM
Pond PLant question: water celery pictures Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 0 13-05-2003 06:08 AM
water fern (azolla); was water celery zookeeper Ponds 10 23-03-2003 03:20 AM