Old 17-05-2003, 05:56 PM
matt

Default baby koi!

well, was just outside and noticed we had some white tadpoles (we
normally have a ton of tadpoles so hadn't taken a lot of notice of
these guys). closer inspection reveals they were baby koi (maybe 1"
long and one has a black spot on his back-- so damn cute). anyways,
what to do about protecting them? i suspect we had more but the
frogs, other fishies/tadpoles, and even parents have prolly fed on
them :-(

anyone with experience in this area? prolly impossible to catch these
guys and there are lots of crevices between rocks for them to hide but
if there's anything extra i could do i'd like to try (only our second
season with 3 koi in the pond!)

thanks!
Old 17-05-2003, 06:32 PM
K30a

For the most part tadpoles won't feed on fish unless they are dead or dying.
Bullfrogs, and their cousins, the Pigfrog, do enjoy a nice baby koi. Don't
worry about other kinds of frogs or toads.

Do you have a lot of submerged plants? These plants on the bottom provide a
lot of cover for baby fish. In a pinch you can buy fake aqaurium plants and
weigh them down.

good luck and let us know how they grow! :-)

k30a
Old 18-05-2003, 01:56 AM
RichToyBox

If they have survived to be an inch long, they will not be food for the
larger fish. Only the smart ones live to get that big. When they were
eggs, or just hatched fry, they were one of the favorite foods.
--
RichToyBox

m...

2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
beautiful baby koi.... on catfishfood - some koi/gf mix ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 9 15-11-2003 08:12 PM
? baby koi #2 john rutz Ponds 2 21-07-2003 05:42 PM
Baby koi Jerrispond Ponds 11 18-07-2003 07:54 PM
Baby koi or goldfish? Sue Alexandre Ponds 2 16-07-2003 06:21 AM