Old 23-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Bob Sisson

Default Catfish Source?

I am looking for a source for some Channel Cats for our Pond.

I would prefer Pleco's but they won't survive the Winters.

Any other suggestions for "Sucker-Fish" would be appreciated.

We have a BIG Koi pond, that we finally got all the MUCK out of, and we want
some (live) help to keep it clear. We have a VERY small bio load, no plants
this year, and want to keep it aquarium clear.

http://www.sissonfamily.com/pages/pond.htm

--

Remove VERMIN to reply

Bob Sisson
Keeper of the Dragon and other things at Redwall

http://www.SissonFamily.com/bob

Old 23-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
"Bob Sisson" wrote:

I am looking for a source for some Channel Cats for our Pond.

If you have Koi, I would not mix them with Channel Cats... they grow
(and grow) and become very predacious. Put some crayfish in....

jay
Fri, May 23, 2003

I would prefer Pleco's but they won't survive the Winters.

Any other suggestions for "Sucker-Fish" would be appreciated.

We have a BIG Koi pond, that we finally got all the MUCK out of, and we want
some (live) help to keep it clear. We have a VERY small bio load, no plants
this year, and want to keep it aquarium clear.

http://www.sissonfamily.com/pages/pond.htm

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old 23-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Jerrispond

I am looking for a source for some Channel Cats for our Pond.If you have Koi,
I would not mix them with Channel Cats... they grow (and grow) and become very
predacious. Put some crayfish in...

I have 2 ponds...one for koi and one for goldfish. I bought a small channel
cat for each pond to get rid of a minnow problem. the cats are close to 18
inches now, and I still have the minnows......They just come up and eat with
the other fish. I can see no good OR bad traits in them. I love to watch
them eat.....Since they are black that is the only time I ever see them. They
look clumsy and clownish....and have the biggest mouths and whiskers. Jerri

Old 24-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Steve J. Noll

"The Pond Guy" http://www.thepondguy . Their catalog has Channel
Catfish, don't know if they ship them. They're in Michigan.

For more than you'd ever want to know about catfish, try:
http://aquanic.org/beginer/catfish/catfish.htm
Includes a discussion group where they're bought & sold.

On Fri, 23 May 2003 16:09:36 -0400, "Bob Sisson"
wrote:

I am looking for a source for some Channel Cats for our Pond.

I would prefer Pleco's but they won't survive the Winters.

Any other suggestions for "Sucker-Fish" would be appreciated.

We have a BIG Koi pond, that we finally got all the MUCK out of, and we want
some (live) help to keep it clear. We have a VERY small bio load, no plants
this year, and want to keep it aquarium clear.

http://www.sissonfamily.com/pages/pond.htm

--

Remove VERMIN to reply

Bob Sisson
Keeper of the Dragon and other things at Redwall

http://www.SissonFamily.com/bob

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old 24-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Moontanman

Most petshops carry both the natural and albino types of channel cats. Why do
you want channel cats in your pond? They are not scavengers or algae eaters
like plecos are. But they do make great display fish. Are you from Sissonville
WVa by any chance? I am.

moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 24-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Pat Keith

Albino channel catfish are much easier to see then natural colored ones.
They don't tame as well as Koi. They can grow much larger than Koi.

Old 24-05-2003, 02:32 AM
John Hines

"Pat Keith" wrote:

Albino channel catfish are much easier to see then natural colored ones.
They don't tame as well as Koi. They can grow much larger than Koi.

Google for "noodling" catfish.

Crazy folks catch mondo big catfish (100+ lb) with their bare hands!
Old 24-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Sean Dinh

I would go fishing at a local park. If you want big ones, get them at an Asian
supermarket. They stock live cat fish.

Old 24-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Jerrispond

Albino channel catfish are much easier to see then natural colored ones.

The heron got them right away....easier to see....all my white fish are eaten
by either heron or bullfrogs. Except the 2, 27+ inch koi. Even my cat
is afraid of them ) Jerri