Old 29-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Phil

Default Pond in the Shade

Hi,

I want a pond badly but the only spot I have gets about 3-4 hours of
sun per day and there is a large maple tree which will cover most of
the pond area. I know that falling debris (I'm prepared to net the
pond during the appropriate seasons) from trees and the limited
aquatic plant selection will be a problem but are there any other
problems that may arise with a pond in the shade? Will fish/koi be
happy? Algae problems? Any real important plants that are needed which
won't live in such conditions?

Does anyone have a pond in a shaded area?

Is this a pipe dream or a possibility?

Thanks Phil

ps. I'm in zone 5 Northern NJ.
Old 29-05-2003, 03:20 PM
K30a

You can have a nice pond in a shaded area.
It will be a benefit on keeping green water
at bay.
And you already know to keep the leaves and 'stuff' out.
Here is a list of plants that will do well in your
pond -

Shade tolerant marginals

* acorus graimineus Ogon

* any aquatic grass

* Bowles Golden Sedge

* any clover

* dwarf bamboo

* Flamingo (variegated Water Parsley)

* horsetail rush

* Japanese Ribbon Grass

* Parrot Feather

* Pennywort

* spike rush

* any Taro

* Water Parsley (green)

Flowering shade Tolerant Marginals

* Bog Lily

* Chameleon Plant

* Creeping Buttercup

* creeping jenny

* creeping jenny gold

* Japanese Bog Orchid

* Ligularia 'Othello'

* Lobelia- Cardinal Flower

* Marsh Marigold

* mazus reptans

* Primula (Candleabra) japonica

* Spider Lily

(compiled by Patrica Sample)
k30a
Old 29-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Phil wrote:
Hi,

I want a pond badly but the only spot I have gets about 3-4 hours of
sun per day and there is a large maple tree which will cover most of
the pond area. I know that falling debris (I'm prepared to net the
pond during the appropriate seasons) from trees and the limited
aquatic plant selection will be a problem but are there any other
problems that may arise with a pond in the shade? Will fish/koi be
happy? Algae problems? Any real important plants that are needed which
won't live in such conditions?

Does anyone have a pond in a shaded area?

Is this a pipe dream or a possibility?

Thanks Phil

ps. I'm in zone 5 Northern NJ.

Hi Phil,
You certainly can have a shaded pond. The only thing that
low sunlight will prevent you from having is lilies. Fish
will not be bothered by shade and you may avoid a large
algae bloom. I'm located in Southern Warren County and I
can see no reason to prevent you from having a great pond.
There are many ponds in the Poconos and they don't have
problems keeping koi. I suggest that you dig your pond as
deep as possible (3 to 4 feet) so that the koi will over
winter without problems. Best wishes.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 29-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Phil

Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement. I'm not sure if I'll
have the time this summer but perhaps late summer early fall will be
my digging date.

Thanks again Phil
Old 29-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Carola / Les

"Phil" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I want a pond badly but the only spot I have gets about 3-4 hours of
sun per day and there is a large maple tree which will cover most of
the pond area. I know that falling debris (I'm prepared to net the
pond during the appropriate seasons) from trees and the limited
aquatic plant selection will be a problem but are there any other
problems that may arise with a pond in the shade? Will fish/koi be
happy? Algae problems? Any real important plants that are needed which
won't live in such conditions?

Does anyone have a pond in a shaded area?

Is this a pipe dream or a possibility?

Thanks Phil

ps. I'm in zone 5 Northern NJ.

My two main ponds only get the sun in late afternoon.
I have never had a problem with algae and the water is always clear. The
temperature remains pretty stable over a 24hr period and I do not lose much
water through evaporation.
I have numerous plants growing profusely ( some more than others) in the
ponds and around the edges.
The Koi are very active and only slow down when the sun gets to them in late
afternoon.
I think having a pond in the shade, or partial shade, is a big advantage.
Go for it !
Koiles.

Old 30-05-2003, 01:20 AM
wekimer

Phil, my ponds are in a shady back garden and I also have a problem with the
maple trees although they are not as close. About 100 yards from my pond, I
still get the leaves and seeds problem. etc. I only have goldfish but they
are very happy with the 4-5 hours of sun that reach my pond a day. I have 4
water lilies and get lots of blooms too. The first year, just a few, the 2nd
year more and now this being my 4th year ponding, I have buds coming up
everywhere. I also grow pickerel rush, spiral rush, water hy's, parrots
feather, miniature cattails, variegated celery, umbrella palm, and lots of
anacharis. The pickerel rush, anacharis and the water hy's also bloom but
not as much.
I live in the Pittsburgh area. I have had algae problems but not overly so.
And I use CSA which is the same as the BZT everyone is talking about. My
fish are very happy. As long as you have a variety of plants you will be
fine. Enjoy! kim from Pittsburgh

Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Doug Swetland

Phil wrote:

Hi,

I want a pond badly but the only spot I have gets about 3-4 hours of
sun per day and there is a large maple tree which will cover most of
the pond area. I know that falling debris (I'm prepared to net the
pond during the appropriate seasons) from trees and the limited
aquatic plant selection will be a problem but are there any other
problems that may arise with a pond in the shade? Will fish/koi be
happy? Algae problems? Any real important plants that are needed which
won't live in such conditions?

Does anyone have a pond in a shaded area?

Is this a pipe dream or a possibility?

Thanks Phil

ps. I'm in zone 5 Northern NJ.

Phil,

I have a heavily shaded pond in Minnesota that gets almost no direct
sunlight. It is dug into the side of a hill so the lower side is built
up with those mortar-less landscaping blocks. This allows me an upper
falls dropping into the main pond of 1500 gallons and then a lower falls
(over the block wall) into a 250 gallon covered reservoir that holds the
pump (4000 gallons per hour).

As the water falls into the reservoir it is screened by a 2' X 2' window
screen. This acts as a heavy-duty skimmer and keeps the pond clear of
most floating debris. In the spring I get seeds from the trees (elm,
maple and oak) and in the fall I get the leaves and acorns. I have to
clear the screen manually several times a day during the peak "dropping
periods".

You may not be able to keep up with the debris by netting manually if
you work or take vacations. You'll also spend more time cleaning the
pond in the fall. The debris will build up and cause "gas" problems over
the winter if you don't keep things clean.

Most conventional pond plants don't do well in the shade. I have
managed a few lilly pad blooms over the years, but it is a struggle as
our growing season is pretty short. I usually put some impatiens and
other shade loving flowers in gravel pots lowered into the water. They
look great by fall.

The good news is that algae isn't a problem. Enough grows to keep the
fish happy. Occasionally a sleeping fish will go over the lower falls
and spend the day in the window screen. Sometimes they survive the
experience, sometimes they don't.

I'd recommend figuring out some kind of automatic skimmer/screening
system. You'd be surprised how much stuff falls from trees. But don't
let a little shade or debris stop you from enjoying a pond.

Good luck.

Doug

Old 01-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Heather

We also live in Zone 5 - SW Ontario - and put in a pond last year. We live
smack in the middle of woods. I have conned the DH to cut down a few trees
in strtegis positions to let in some light. Even with that we had algae
problems and had to install a UV filter. The water is so clear now -- the
difference was visable in two days. Great investment. We don't know yet
how our plants will respond. They haven't done much yet. I really don't
know if it is becuase it has been so cold this spring or the lack of
sunlight. The fish however, are growing like crazy and the water temp is
still hovering at about 55F.

We have a boggy area back in the woods and have transplanted some native
stuff. It is doing really well in the bog. Better than the nursery bought
stock. If you have a friend who lives in the woods you might want to try
that.

Heather

'

Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I want a pond badly but the only spot I have gets about 3-4 hours of
sun per day and there is a large maple tree which will cover most of
the pond area. snip

Within the pond club we have a family with a huge SicAmore (Sycamore) over
their pond, they trimmed the tree high and installed shade cloth over the
pond 10 feet up, catches most of the stuff and folks don't even notice it.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~