Old 07-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Gareee©

Default New pond residents question...

Hey gang.. we're getting closer to moving into the new house... the land has
been mostly prepared this week.

Anyway, the plans are for a small retention pond in front because of rain
water flow through the property. It has a channel that connects to a spring
on property, in the middle of a bamboo grove. (We cut out 1/4 acre of bamboo
out yesterday.. and are pretty sore after that!) It then runs down into two
other springs. Between the 1st and last 2nd springs, we'll have a pond dug
out. Since we'll have fresh spring water flow through, the pond shouldn't
get stagnant at all.

The other day while I was there, I saw some of the local residents already
living there. I saw crayfish/crawdads, a large box turtle, and a lizard/newt
kinda thing. It was small, a few inches long, and looks pretty slimy. I know
it's NOT a chameleon, but was wondering if anyone here might know what they
were (saw a few of them over the course of a few days).

Just curious... also anyone know if Koi would survive this type of pond??
Anything I should consider on the pond development? Lotsa natural rock there
for deco, too! Ponder's Heaven!!

This is in Western NC, near Waynesville, BTW...

Gareee©
Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm
Custom Figures, Wallpapers and more!

Old 07-06-2003, 05:20 PM
K30a

The whole set-up sounds wonderful!!

Try this webpage
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Biology/...amanders/salam
anders.html

and let us know if you ID the critters

Looking forward to more reports! :-)

k30a
Old 07-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Gareee©

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Biology/...lamanders.html

and let us know if you ID the critters

Looking forward to more reports! :-)

k30a

He looks like the seal salamander. thanks for the GREAT link!

We've done a small pond/waterfall in our backyard now, and are looking
forward to doing something more natural looking.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:08 PM
John Hines

"Gareee?" wrote:

Just curious... also anyone know if Koi would survive this type of pond??
Anything I should consider on the pond development? Lotsa natural rock there
for deco, too! Ponder's Heaven!!

What happens in a period of drought?

I f the creek dries up, your fish are hosed. Otherwise it would be a
matter of keeping them in the pond, and not flowing downstream.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Gareee©

There are actually 4 watersources.. one runoff overflow, one spring, and
then below the pond, two more springs.

From what we've seen in the last 7 months, the springs never dry up.. and
never did many years ago, because if used to be part of a farm the used the
springs as water sources for the animals...

"John Hines" wrote in message
news

Old 08-06-2003, 01:32 AM
John Hines

"Gareee?" wrote:

There are actually 4 watersources.. one runoff overflow, one spring, and
then below the pond, two more springs.

From what we've seen in the last 7 months, the springs never dry up.. and
never did many years ago, because if used to be part of a farm the used the
springs as water sources for the animals...

What is the water temp? If it is low enough, grow trout!

Koi like deep water, as long as you can make your pool deep enough for
them, you should be ok.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Gareee©

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Gareee?" wrote:

There are actually 4 watersources.. one runoff overflow, one spring, and
then below the pond, two more springs.

From what we've seen in the last 7 months, the springs never dry up.. and
never did many years ago, because if used to be part of a farm the used

the
springs as water sources for the animals...

What is the water temp? If it is low enough, grow trout!

Koi like deep water, as long as you can make your pool deep enough for
them, you should be ok

I really didn't have my heart set on Koi, but some kinda fish would be nice.

..Actually, there are many trout farms nearby.. but don't they need a larger
pond? I'm thinking 10' by 15" or so... could be larger, and from experience,
larger is what you want next year...Might make it as much as 4-5 feet deep..
the grader will dig it out for me!

I might add a small waterfall at the runoff (the land is slightly sloped..)
and this is spring fed mountain water, pretty cold...

Old 09-06-2003, 04:08 AM
John Hines

"Gareee?" wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareee?" wrote:

There are actually 4 watersources.. one runoff overflow, one spring, and
then below the pond, two more springs.

From what we've seen in the last 7 months, the springs never dry up.. and
never did many years ago, because if used to be part of a farm the used

the
springs as water sources for the animals...

What is the water temp? If it is low enough, grow trout!

Koi like deep water, as long as you can make your pool deep enough for
them, you should be ok

I really didn't have my heart set on Koi, but some kinda fish would be nice.

Koi is a big fish when grown, they are gonna be close to a foot thick
when fully grown.

.Actually, there are many trout farms nearby.. but don't they need a larger
pond? I'm thinking 10' by 15" or so... could be larger, and from experience,
larger is what you want next year...Might make it as much as 4-5 feet deep..
the grader will dig it out for me!

4-5 feet deep is fine, but 15 inches is too shallow.

Old 09-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Gareee©

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Gareee?" wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareee?" wrote:

There are actually 4 watersources.. one runoff overflow, one spring,

and
then below the pond, two more springs.

From what we've seen in the last 7 months, the springs never dry up..

and
[...]

That should have read 10' by 15' and then 4-5 ft deep

Old 10-06-2003, 01:08 AM
RichToyBox

What temperature do you think the pond will have? If it is very much new
spring water, enough for a waterfall, and you are in the mountains with
trout farms around, I think the water may be too cold for koi and gold fish.
They need to have a minimum of 50 degrees and even better 60 degrees for
their immune system to function. If it is going to be colder than that,
then I would look for a cold water fish.
--
RichToyBox

"Gareee©" wrote in message

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Gareee?" wrote:

There are actually 4 watersources.. one runoff overflow, one spring,

and
then below the pond, two more springs.

From what we've seen in the last 7 months, the springs never dry up..

and

Old 10-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Gareee©

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
. net...
What temperature do you think the pond will have? If it is very much new
spring water, enough for a waterfall, and you are in the mountains with
trout farms around, I think the water may be too cold for koi and gold

fish.
They need to have a minimum of 50 degrees and even better 60 degrees for
their immune system to function. If it is going to be colder than that,
then I would look for a cold water fish.
--
RichToyBox

Kinda hard to tell. By waterfall, I meant a small one. The springs all (3)
told probably supply about 5-10 gal a minute. The watershed from rain though
can REALLY increase that almost 10 fold. I might just let things sit a
season, ans see how the whole year plays out. Adding fish is a minor
concern, with all the other house setting and moving work to do.

We just heard last night the house will be off the line by the end of this
week, and on the lot ready to be deleivered this Mon.!

Woo Woo!!

Old 19-06-2003, 10:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:02:39 GMT, "Gareee©"
wrote:

We just heard last night the house will be off the line by the end of this
week, and on the lot ready to be deleivered this Mon.!

Off the line? A manufactured type home? If so or not, what kind? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 19-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Gareee©

wrote:

We just heard last night the house will be off the line by the end of

this
week, and on the lot ready to be deleivered this Mon.!

Off the line? A manufactured type home? If so or not, what kind? ~ jan

Yep, manufactured. We got a big doublewide Clayton.. it's 2100 sq feet, and
they even accommodated quite a number of changes to the floor plans.

Instead of one of those worthless indoor pond/glamour bath, we got a second
master bathroom mirror/vanity combo.

We got a more rustic looking fireplace, had them move the sliding glass door
in the den to the right side of the room, and had them combine two bedrooms
into one large workroom/office kinda thing.

Once the order was put in, they had it done in 2 weeks!

We also got the full appliance package they had, since it was MUCH cheaper
then if we bought everything separately. We got the large fridge with the
outside ice/crushed ice/water thing, built in Microwave, and one of those
cool flat top stoves. (No more cleaning out burners!!!)

Completely setup, with the land prepared, I think the total was 93,000 or
so...

Closest I could come on a stickbuilt home the same size would be about 50%
more.

We currently own a Fleetwood, and while the Claytons cost quite a bit more,
they also have quite a number of upgrades that would cost more anyway.

Old 20-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Gareee©

Thanks! once we *finally* move in, I'll feel much better. Since we are
moving so late in the season, I'll probably just do basic work on the yard..
next year I plan on decorating, and plantings.

We actually started this in early FEB., believe it or not! it literally
takes THIS LONG to do something like this.. and that's with a pre-fab house.
with stick built, they said about a year or so...