Old 25-03-2008, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT calling any French residents

Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post here
and I would like a little information.
The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses traveling
over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30 miles have
shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a result a
number of small communities no longer have a bus service.
Does this rule applied in France?
Old 25-03-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses traveling
| over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
| reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
| that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30 miles have
| shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a result a
| number of small communities no longer have a bus service.

I doubt it very much.

Have you read the regulation? And then compared it with what Whitehall
has perpetrated? Until you have, why do you think that the stupidity
lies in Brussels?

I have done just that on several topics, and the EU regulation was
fairly sane, and merely said "countries shall make regulations to
ensure that ..." The lunatic bureaucracy was invented in Whitehall,
which is adept at blaming others for its crimes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-03-2008, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 25, 5:41 pm, Broadback wrote:
Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post here
and I would like a little information.
The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses traveling
over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30 miles have
shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a result a
number of small communities no longer have a bus service.
Does this rule applied in France?

I don't know, would you mind if I reposted your question on another
group?

Judith
Old 25-03-2008, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback says...
Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post here
and I would like a little information.
The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses traveling
over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30 miles have
shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a result a
number of small communities no longer have a bus service.
Does this rule applied in France?

First I've heard about it. Sounds more like a posting for
1st of April to me :-)
--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 25-03-2008, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Broadback says...
Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post here
and I would like a little information.
The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses traveling
over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30 miles have
shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a result a
number of small communities no longer have a bus service.
Does this rule applied in France?

First I've heard about it. Sounds more like a posting for
1st of April to me :-)

A quick bit of googling suggests that since 1st Jan buses operating on
routes in excess of 30 miles must be fitted with a tachograph and ensure
that drivers take adequate breaks. No problem there, it's only what coach
operators already have to observe; but skinflint bus companies don't want
to play ball, so they terminate services or force passengers to get off as
described

Complain to the bus company.

And complain to the Sun, Telegraph, Mail etc. for not explaining the facts
behind the case.

Old 25-03-2008, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"OG" writes:

| A quick bit of googling suggests that since 1st Jan buses operating on
| routes in excess of 30 miles must be fitted with a tachograph and ensure
| that drivers take adequate breaks. No problem there, it's only what coach
| operators already have to observe; but skinflint bus companies don't want
| to play ball, so they terminate services or force passengers to get off as
| described
|
| Complain to the bus company.
|
| And complain to the Sun, Telegraph, Mail etc. for not explaining the facts
| behind the case.

So I was maligning Whitehall - they were merely being naive to the point
of negligence, by writing regulations that invite such abuse!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-03-2008, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post here
and I would like a little information.
The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses traveling
over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30 miles have
shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a result a
number of small communities no longer have a bus service.
Does this rule applied in France?

No public buses around here!

But the school bus trips certainly don't follow this rule. AFAIK the
only rule is
"Tous les deux heures la pause d'impose." Drivers are required to take
a 15 minute
break for every 2 hours of driving. Not a bad idea IMHO!

-E
Old 25-03-2008, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On Mar 25, 8:32 pm, Emery Davis wrote:
Broadback wrote:
[...]

Hi Emery, how are you? It's a mild night in the Auvergne, tomorrow I
will sow my Wisteria seeds, I'm wondering whether I should soak them
first as they are quite large and very hard!!!!

Judith

Hi Judith,

Doing just fine, thanks, and you? We survived (or so it seems) the worst of
the weather. I had just bunged 30 trees into the ground, none got blown
over!

Now enjoying one of the finer things in Normandy, a glass of 30 year
Calvados
before bed...

I'm with Sacha on the Wisteria seeds. Plus, not a very expensive plant
grafted.
I have 3 that I hack at a few times a year. I really like the flowers,
but lots of
time spent on the ladder. I actually fell off while cutting one back a
few years ago,
but luckily landed well and suffered nothing worse than some temporary
spine
compression. Now I'm a little more careful!

cheers,

-E

Old 25-03-2008, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/3/08 22:17, in article
, "Judith

Broadback wrote:
[...]

Have to ask why you're sowing seeds, Judith? AIUI, Wisteria can take around
18 years to flower if grown this way and can be extremely variable as to
quality. They can take about 8 years to flower if grown from cuttings. The
grafted ones are much more reliable because you can and should, see them in
flower before buying and of course, they're ready to flower and grow
immediately.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-03-2008, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
Broadback says...
Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post here
and I would like a little information.
The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses traveling
over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30 miles have
shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a result a
number of small communities no longer have a bus service.

Sounds like the sort of thing that a letter to your local MP with copy
to the local press and TV station will work wonders on.

Almost certainly the fault lies with Whitehall producing a gold plated
completely insane version of whatever Brussels actually specified.

Does this rule applied in France?

Even if it did do you really think they would follow it or enforce it?

First I've heard about it. Sounds more like a posting for
1st of April to me :-)

No its true and causing problems in Cornwall too, people are having to
buy three separate tickets for one jurney and get off the bus, they then
get straight back on with the same driver and continue - daft

Time to write to your MP. That is what they are there for.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 26-03-2008, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:
| In article ,

says...
| Broadback says...
| Sorry about the OT posting, but I know a few French residents post here
| and I would like a little information.
| The EU have brought in another stupid regulation that buses traveling
| over 30 miles must stop at 30 miles, remove all passengers then can
| reload and resume their journey. One very negative effect of this is
| that in Wales hitherto community buses that travel over 30 miles have
| shortened their journeys by using main roads and bypasses, as a result a
| number of small communities no longer have a bus service.
| Does this rule applied in France?
|
| First I've heard about it. Sounds more like a posting for
| 1st of April to me :-)
|
| No its true and causing problems in Cornwall too, people are having to
| buy three separate tickets for one jurney and get off the bus, they then
| get straight back on with the same driver and continue - daft

But damn-all to do with the EU ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well perhaps not, though I do think they could be a lot clearer what they
intend measures to do and be much clearer about what is not meant or
intended. But in this case I smell a bus company rat, they seem to have
used a minor regulation to get three fares instead on one out of people!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk