Old 17-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Jill Walker

Default fish

I have not had time to go get fish for a new pond. So, I put in some baby
swords from a tank in the house. I do not plan to over winter but was
wondering any one had any luck with tropical fish in the summer in the their
ponds. Will they eat the bugs in the pond? I live in central Illinois. i
just want some feedback.

Old 17-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Bob

Haven't had experience, but know people who had. The Swordtail population
while positively explode unless you have some type of predator. But as
tropical fish go, I had a Geophagus (old scientific name, new one is "Satan"
something) and he did fine.

--

Take ME away to reply

See my webpage at:
Http://Trains99.tripod.com
Click on the My Pond button on the left.

. net...

Old 17-06-2003, 11:08 PM
BGreel

So, I put in some baby
swords from a tank in the house. I do not plan to over winter but was
wondering any one had any luck with tropical fish in the summer in the their
ponds. Will they eat the bugs in the pond?

When I was a kid, my mother and I used to use a shower curtian for a liner to
make a pond for our tropical fish. We put out swords, mollies and guppies.
All did very well and their colors were absolutely brilliant. The population
will explode. We traded fish in the fall for aquarium stuff from a local pet
shop.

FYI watch the swords when you add water. They think they are salmon. They'll
jump out trying to ride the tide.

Old 27-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Ross,

You will get some flack about the pic. We aren't supposed to post them on
the group.

Your fish, however, seems to be a Koi. It has barbels as koi do. They will
certainly outgrow the others! Think 2-3 feet long.

Jim

"ROSS" wrote in message
. ..
Opened pond today i had it covered for the winter , i have a fish that was
purchased as a shubunkin but it has out growen the rest of the fish i

bought
with him i have a picture of the fish but no site to post the picture to ,

will attach the picture if any one would like to take a look and reply as

what kind it is , the darker fish

Old 27-03-2005, 03:25 PM
dkat

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
. ..
Ross,

You will get some flack about the pic. We aren't supposed to post them on
the group.

On that note (is anyone still using phone modems?) - there are binary
newrooms where you can post pictures and then you ask people to go to that
room and look at the picture if they can (give subject line so the don't
have to hunt). That way there is choice in the matter.

alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

might be a good one

Your fish, however, seems to be a Koi. It has barbels as koi do. They

will
certainly outgrow the others! Think 2-3 feet long.

Jim

. ..

,

Old 28-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Carolyn

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:25:50 -0500, "dkat" wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Ross,

You will get some flack about the pic. We aren't supposed to post them on
the group.

On that note (is anyone still using phone modems?) - t

Sadly, yes. In rural North Carolina we have no choice except Direcway
satellite which is notoriously awful to deal with!!

Old 29-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Derek Broughton

dkat wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
. ..
Ross,

You will get some flack about the pic. We aren't supposed to post them
on the group.

On that note (is anyone still using phone modems?) -

Only the majority of people on the Internet, still. I have a "high-speed"
satellite connection. Some days, it might as well be dial-up. otoh, I get
news from individual.net, which strips binaries anyway.
--
derek
Old 30-03-2005, 10:24 PM
DKat

South Korea has over 75% of its population on fast internet connections. We
are one of the few westernized countries that still runs out electric and
communication lines on poles that get knocked down in storms (the Brits
refer to us as that odd country that runs its wires up in the air)... I
really don't get how we can be the wealthiest country in the world and not
have health care for all of our people let alone not have health care for
all of our children add to that not having our infrastructure and education
at least equal if not better than what it is in the rest of the advanced
world.

"Carolyn" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:25:50 -0500, "dkat" wrote:

t...

Old 31-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Derek Broughton

DKat wrote:

South Korea has over 75% of its population on fast internet connections.
We are one of the few westernized countries that still runs out electric
and communication lines on poles that get knocked down in storms (the
Brits
refer to us as that odd country that runs its wires up in the air)... I

Really? Most of North America still has it's power and communication lines
on poles. It really isn't feasible to bury them in countries the size of
ours.

"Carolyn" wrote in message

Sadly, yes. In rural North Carolina we have no choice except Direcway
satellite which is notoriously awful to deal with!!

Yeah, but how much do you really need to deal with them? I've been on
DirecWay for two years now and I've had to deal with tech support twice,
and customer support never (admittedly, our reseller is much better at tech
support then the stories I hear from Hughes' customers).
--
derek
Old 31-03-2005, 08:03 PM
DKat

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
DKat wrote:

South Korea has over 75% of its population on fast internet connections.
We are one of the few westernized countries that still runs out electric
and communication lines on poles that get knocked down in storms (the
Brits
refer to us as that odd country that runs its wires up in the air)... I

Really? Most of North America still has it's power and communication
lines
on poles. It really isn't feasible to bury them in countries the size of
ours.

I have never been able to understand that argument (that we are too big to
be able to have the same quality of roads, infrastructure, etc. as Europe).
What does size have to do with it? We also have more money and resources
than they do. If you look at it on a state by state basis you can hardly
say the Delaware is larger than the Netherlands (~5000sqKM vs ~40000sqKM).
Basically it just sounds like we are making up excuses for not being as good
as we should be. Yes I know that may get me labeled as unpatriotic and
thrown in jail in today's climate but I happen to love my country enough
that I want it to be the best it can be and it strikes me as crazy not to
demand as much from those running it. Why are we settling for being last in
education, last in infant mortality (a higher percentage of our children die
than all other advanced 1st world nations), etc.?

OK, enough. sorry - it is just that particular argument (that we are too
big to do things right) tends to send me over the edge. It only falls under
"it is OK to not give women equal rights and protections because it is a
"cultural" thing"....

So - is everyone ready for April showers to be followed by May flowers! I
am!!!

Old 31-03-2005, 10:04 PM
~Roy~

Thats because the USA p[aid for most everything in Europe after they
destroyed it during WWII.......Germany had just about finished most of
the Autobahn before the war, the US destroyed a lot of it, and rebuilt
it after the war, and were still sending money to these other european
countries after all these years.....Then again I am not too familiar
with foreign politics, but I would have to htink europeans have a long
way to go before they catch up to american politics and kickback
projects that use up more money than the actual project does....Samew
for the pork barrel spending by congress.........you scratch my back
for this and I'll scratch yours for that!

The 75% of the korean population is sort of questionable..........Is
that 75% of the population that HAS computers? I spent time in Korea
and to be honest their systems are down more than they are up. bei it
water, gas, electrictiy or phone.......They are no where even close to
American standards of living. There is nothing wrong with having
aerial wire.........and don;t think for a minute underground service
is trouble free by any means.........its not........My underground
service just got taken out last weekend by lightning.............and
its over 5 feet deep..........

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:03:42 -0500, "DKat"
wrote:

==="Derek Broughton" wrote in message
=== DKat wrote:
===
[...]
=== "Carolyn" wrote in message
===
=== Sadly, yes. In rural North Carolina we have no choice except Direcway
=== satellite which is notoriously awful to deal with!!
===
=== Yeah, but how much do you really need to deal with them? I've been on
=== DirecWay for two years now and I've had to deal with tech support twice,
=== and customer support never (admittedly, our reseller is much better at
=== tech
=== support then the stories I hear from Hughes' customers).
=== --
=== derek
===

Old 01-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Derek Broughton

DKat wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

I have never been able to understand that argument (that we are too big to
be able to have the same quality of roads, infrastructure, etc. as
Europe).
What does size have to do with it?

It's very simple. Long distance electrical transmission loses a
considerable amount of power. Air is, however, a good insulator. Long
distance electrical transmission through buried conduits loses a lot more
power.

We also have more money and resources
than they do. If you look at it on a state by state basis you can hardly
say the Delaware is larger than the Netherlands (~5000sqKM vs ~40000sqKM).

I can't say for sure, but I suspect the population density, even in Delaware
is lower than in the Netherlands, so you're still losing more power to
deliver to each person.
--
derek