Old 18-06-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

Default LFS Koi? Quality?

My local Supersized LFS (the smart one) has Koi for $3.99. I had always
decided not to buy Koi because of cost, but these seem cheap and some were
AWESOME looking. I realize the difference between a kennel mutt (I have one,
no flames, she is great) and an AKC show dog, but is there anything I should
know about $4.00 Koi?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 18-06-2003, 02:56 PM
D. S.

I have 4.00 to 12.00 Koi and they are great!!! Not one problem....

D.S.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 18-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Watch out that they are not overcrowded in the tank with disease! Then
quarantine the fish definitely!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 18-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
My local Supersized LFS (the smart one) has Koi for $3.99. I had always
decided not to buy Koi because of cost, but these seem cheap and some were
AWESOME looking. I realize the difference between a kennel mutt (I have one,
no flames, she is great) and an AKC show dog, but is there anything I should
know about $4.00 Koi?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

I have a few of those. They're definitely not show quality,
but may make a good pond pet. Be sure to quarantine to make
sure that they're healthy.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-06-2003, 04:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

My local Supersized LFS (the smart one) has Koi for $3.99. I had always
decided not to buy Koi because of cost, but these seem cheap and some

were
AWESOME looking. I realize the difference between a kennel mutt (I have

one,
no flames, she is great) and an AKC show dog, but is there anything I

should
know about $4.00 Koi?

They are addictive?

They had two that were an opalescent yellowish white...I nearly bought them
on the spot, but figured I should wait until I have the water cleared first.
I plan to do some Amquel/Water changes, so I don't want to risk new fish
yet.

BV.

Old 18-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
"John Hines" wrote in message

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

My local Supersized LFS (the smart one) has Koi for $3.99. I had always
decided not to buy Koi because of cost, but these seem cheap and some

were

AWESOME looking. I realize the difference between a kennel mutt (I have

one,

no flames, she is great) and an AKC show dog, but is there anything I

should

know about $4.00 Koi?

They are addictive?

They had two that were an opalescent yellowish white...I nearly bought them
on the spot, but figured I should wait until I have the water cleared first.
I plan to do some Amquel/Water changes, so I don't want to risk new fish
yet.

BV.

Go buy them and keep them in a quarantine tank. When the
pond is ready and they've been deemed healthy you can add
them to the pond.

Old 18-06-2003, 04:44 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"John Hines" wrote in message

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

My local Supersized LFS (the smart one) has Koi for $3.99. I had always
decided not to buy Koi because of cost, but these seem cheap and some

were

AWESOME looking. I realize the difference between a kennel mutt (I have

one,

no flames, she is great) and an AKC show dog, but is there anything I

should

know about $4.00 Koi?

They are addictive?

They had two that were an opalescent yellowish white...I nearly bought them
on the spot, but figured I should wait until I have the water cleared first.
I plan to do some Amquel/Water changes, so I don't want to risk new fish
yet.

BV.

-- BV
seeing as hw you need to quarantine them a month or so to make sure of
thier health go ahead and get em and put them in one of your aquariums
for the Q
realy prety ones are hard to get from your LFS seems they dont make it
that far usualy

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 18-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you're not planning on showing the
fish, then there's no need to spend big $$ on them (unless one *really*
catches your eye!). The deciding factor should be the health of the fish,
and as others have already pointed out, you should be in quarantine for a
month or so anyway. By that time, you'll know. Just keep a VERY CLOSE eye on
your water parameters: koi are dirty little beasties, and it's hard to stay
ahead of the ammonia and nitrItes.

Have fun!

Lee

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 18-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Sue Alexandre

My very first koi was a $3.99 special from a petstore chain, and he is big,
healthy, gorgeous and friendly. As he swims, plays, and breeds with the
more expensive counterparts, he will always be my favorite, since he was my
first.
Sue

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 19-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Ann in Houston

In my experience, they won't stay that color. Can't remember how exactly
they changed, but they became unremarkable. Still lively, healthy, fun
pets, though.
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 19-06-2003, 06:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I got a butterfly koi from Wally World for $1.50 about 7 years ago. He is
NOT on the short list to cull out when & if I decide more must go. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a