Old 19-06-2003, 06:56 AM
*muffin*

Default Quarintine? Reality?

what percentage salt?

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
I meant Salt bath or melafix bath

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Dear Jeff,
This is my honest to goodness confession and apologies the same time.

I use to think that Ingrid was nuts for all her preaching on quarantine
(Sorry Ingrid)

So I started my pond with a few small fish, junk fish, $10 fish, etc.

Loose
a fish here and there, didn't know the cause, and didn't care.

Then I started buying bigger and better fish (Cost more...). So I got

some
fish, threw them in the pond without quarantine, and lost some pretty

darn
expensive fish! I cried. Since then I WILL NEVER put a new fish in my
pond without a slat bath and quarantine.

That's all I know!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"BenignVanilla" m wrote

in
message ...
Ok, I know this one will grab some flames...and lots of strong

opinions,
but
what I am looking for is..."I did this...and saw this..." and not "I

have
heard this..."

How many people have bought fish and...

...quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?
...quarantined them, seeing evidence of disease?
...quarantined them, and lost them due to disease?
...not quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?
...not quarantined them, seeing evidence of disease?
...not quarantined them, and lost them due to disease?

I must admit, I have never quarantined new aquariums mates. My water

is
good, and as far as I know, I have never lost a fish to disease.

OK, my asbestos suit is on. Flame away if you need. Discussion

preferred.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 19-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Theo van Daele

I have been very much of the "throw them in ASAP" variety, but I am
seriously reconsidering. Nothing ugly happened yet, but I just don't want
to loose any of the fish. So I will install a quarantine tank.

Maybe it's also worth discussing how long they have to be in there... some
deseases only become manifest after 6 months or longer, so it's still a
question of "how lucky do you feel", but the risks must be much smaller. A
"control" fish seems to be a good idea as well.

Another thing I learned : be very careful with plants... they are the
ultimate breeding place for lots of critters, and it may well be that more
parasites/leeches are introduced to ponds via the way of plants than through
fish ?

Old 19-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

You are so right. I think someone posted in here how to give your plants a
mild bleach bath before putting them in your pond. I have a little 100
gallon plant quarantine tank also. No fish or living creature in here
intentionally! I submerged the plants in here after a mild bleach dip, then
add higher than normal concentration of "quick cure" to the tank. for three
weeks before I move the plant to my pond.

Keep in mind that my ponds are really established with too many fish and
plants to start, so I am not really in any rush to introduce plants or more
fish to my ponds. The only reason I add plants or fish is the same reasons
others around here like John Ruts does, we have "POND GREED" We can't seem
to leave well enough alone!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

snip Another thing I learned : be very careful with plants... they are

Old 19-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

I don't salt my ponds, I only use salt for quarantine or for treatment of
sick fish, as such I use a very high concentration following the direction
on the box of pond salt! Maybe others can add in here!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"*muffin*" wrote in message
what percentage salt?

Old 19-06-2003, 03:20 PM
James Cook

Never quarantined aquarium fish, didn't quarantine pond fish. No problems at
all but then again I only buy from the one source who produces excellent
healthy fish kept in superb conditions.

Old 19-06-2003, 11:56 PM
The Madd Hatter

w/ a microscope??? Fish in a stock tank at the LFS, are usually in
shock anyway, from being recently moved in to crowded pullouted
conditions. You can't tell what diseases they are carrying.. Remember,
they don't have to be ILL to be a carrier (like West Nile
Mosquitoes)... It is more likely that the carrier will survive but the
other fish won't...

As it happens, I now quarantine fish whenever possible, since, w/ the
amount of fish I have, I've had "incidents" a few times.. However, I
very rarely buy fish from the LFS... I prefer other hobbyists, as they
tend to keep their fish alot healthier..

Its one of those live and learn things... You'll flame yourself
plenty, when you add an infected fish to a tank and loose your prized
breeding colony of Peacocks or whatever..

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:49:39 -0400, ajames54
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:27:29 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

...not quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?

But I take great care before I buy them to check them, their
tankmates and the general condition of all other fish at the
vendor...

Old 20-06-2003, 12:20 AM
RichToyBox

For a salt dip, I use a saturated salt solution. Get as much salt to
dissolve as possible. Put the koi in and in a very short period of time, it
will roll over and then it is time to take it out and put it in fresh water.
This will remove a lot of the slime coat, that is the home for most of the
parasites, and will also kill the parasites.
--
RichToyBox

"*muffin*" wrote in message
what percentage salt?

Old 24-06-2003, 06:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

BV, The website I will list tells you all the why for(s) to quarantine:
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...t%20 Articles
read it and then let me know what you think.

I quarantine, long period and use a canary fish, no problems, but I've had
the quarantine fish get sick or at least lethargic just from transport and
handling. In quarantine I can easily and cheaply raise my salt or add meds
or use medicated food without affecting all my other pond residents. ~ jan

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:27:29 -0400, "BenignVanilla" m wrote:

Ok, I know this one will grab some flames...and lots of strong opinions, but
what I am looking for is..."I did this...and saw this..." and not "I have
heard this..."

How many people have bought fish and...

...quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?
...quarantined them, seeing evidence of disease?
...quarantined them, and lost them due to disease?
...not quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?
...not quarantined them, seeing evidence of disease?
...not quarantined them, and lost them due to disease?

I must admit, I have never quarantined new aquariums mates. My water is
good, and as far as I know, I have never lost a fish to disease.

OK, my asbestos suit is on. Flame away if you need. Discussion preferred.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 25-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Sam Hopkins

I caught 3 sunfish at my local pond. I quarintined them and sure enough they
had a common parasite worm attached to all three. I gave them medicine for
two weeks and they were good as new.